Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Max

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Have you ever posted anything relevant? Can't say I recall a single one of your posts. 

The community reputation features seem to indicate that many here tend to value some of what I post enough to click a button indicating as much. 

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

The community reputation features seem to indicate that many here tend to value some of what I post enough to click a button indicating as much. 

Those arent as indicative as post count though!

I have no problem with some people not liking Giacchino's music. However, I do have a problem with some people spending their time making sure everyone knows they don't like it, and constantly interrupting discussions about him to do so.

Just now, leeallen01 said:

I have no problem with some people not liking Giacchino's music. However, I do have a problem with some people spending their time making sure everyone knows they don't like it, and constantly interrupting discussions about him to do so.

This, this, a thousand times this!

Of course, but there is a difference between listening to a score and then stating your opinion about it, vs popping into the thread of every score by a composer you don't like just to state you don't like his work and that it never does anything for you, etc.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Those arent as indicative as post count though!

The only postcount that matters is one's postcount in the mstrox thread.

Let's end this bickering though. It's pointless. I am more than willing to hear constructive criticism and funny criticism about any composers work, but not pointless attacks against them and the fans of their work for liking it.

But as a caveat; anyone that criticises my sacred god James Newton Howard will feel my wrath in the form of piercing looks and a general distaste for their very being.

• 2 months later...

Track list! My most anticipated 2017 Giacchino score. :D

(Beware of spoilers)

Spoiler

1. Apes’ Past is Prologue
2. Assault of the Earth
3. Exodus Wounds
4. The Posse Polonaise
5. The Bad Ape Bagatelle
6. Don’t Luca Now
7. Koba Dependent
8. The Ecstasy of the Bold
9. Apes Together Strong
10. A Tide in the Affairs of Apes
11. Planet of the Escapes
12. The Hating Game
13. A Man Named Suicide
14. More Red Than Alive
15. Migration
16. Paradise Found
17. End Credits

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Spoiler alert in one of the track titles, it seems

Good point. I fixed it.

Slashfilm gave the film (and Giacchino's score) a very positive review!

Source: 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Review: One of the Most Significant Blockbusters of the Decade

Another stellar piece of the film is the score composed by Michael GiacchinoWar for the Planet of the Apes has the kind of unique sounds that will make fans wish notes like this could be utilized for their favorite superhero blockbusters. There are distinct themes here that not only accompany the action well, but also inspire a swell of emotion during the more gripping and poignant scenes in the movie, of which there are many.

The same website (but admittedly not the same writer) that said this about the Batman v Superman score:

One of the things I loved in Batman v Superman is the score by Junkie XL and Hans Zimmer. The music gets you pumped up in all the right moments, and unlike Marvel’s Avengers, gives all the heroes their own unique themes. At some points the score is rocking, while at other times it’s operatic, or big and loud and base-y. Sometimes it’s more sci-fi sounding, reminiscent of Bear McCreary‘s Battlestar Galactica score. I particularly love Wonder Woman’s theme.

"base-y"

I generally grade scores on a scale of bad to big.

Anyway, here's another positive review (from EW) that singles out Giacchino's score.  Now with actual musical terms!

The credit for that largely goes to composer Michael Giacchino’s better-than-it-needs-to-be score—a freaky symphony of staccato woodwinds, plucky strings, and ominous thumping kettle drums—and Andy Serkis, who brings Caesar to life once again.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/26/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-ew-review/

:lol:

All I meant was that since multiple reviews are mentioning the score, it sounds like the score must stand out (in a good way) in this one--which excites me, because Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is among my most favorite Giacchino scores.

From IGN, who gave the film a 9.5/10:

Meanwhile, Reeves fills his widescreen with some remarkable imagery, reaching for an epic feel whether it’s the peaceful sight of apes on horseback riding along a beach or huge scenes of carnage as man battles ape. Michael Giacchino’s score is also memorable, supporting the scope of Reeves’ vision while also imparting on War a slightly off-kilter feel that calls back to the original 1968 film – and supports the notion that the world has turned upside down in these movies.

More blurbs for Gia.

The Playlist:

The breathlessly paced montage of flying bullets and angry monkeys raining down on terrified men, aided by Michael Giacchino’s vibrant score, is a strong indicator of the next-level craftsmanship that distinguishes these movies from so many cacophonous Hollywood spectacles

The Hollywood Reporter:

Shot on spectacular locations, mostly in Alberta and British Columbia, despite the California settings, the film is further enhanced by a notably imaginative, out-of-the-ordinary score by Michael Giacchino.

The Wrap:

The action proceeds at a thrilling clip, aided immensely by the great Michael Giacchino score. The composer never settles into a groove, with instrumentations varying from simple percussion (the 20th Century Fox fanfare sounds like it was performed from the middle of a rain forest) to full orchestra, and with themes that never feel like mere repetitions of what has come before. It’s a stirring soundtrack that accentuates, but never overwhelms, what we’re seeing.

I'm excited!

I think I'll like the score, but I can never get excited by random movie reviews praising a score. Movie reviewers (read: people that aren't into film music) generally get easily excited, even with the most basic of stuff. Can't trust these guys!

I think usually when a score gets mentioned this often then it at least ends up being an indication of some worthwhile highlights in there. I like hearing when music makes a strong impression in a movie for people.

19 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think usually when a score gets mentioned this often then it at least ends up being an indication of some worthwhile highlights in there. I like hearing when music makes a strong impression in a movie for people.

I once looked up every contemporary review of Star Wars from 1977 I could find and almost none mentioned anything about music.  I don't have a point.  Just thought it was interesting.

From Collider:

Reeves brings it all together in a haunting, vivid portrait that skillfully blends the demands of blockbuster spectacle together with a deeply emotional undercurrent. Michael Giacchino’s score skillfully moves between melancholy tones and frenetic melodies that would have been right at home alongside the original Planet of the Apes.

12 minutes ago, Max said:

From Collider:

Michael Giacchino’s score skillfully moves between melancholy tones and frenetic melodies that would have been right at home alongside the original Planet of the Apes.

Haha.

Suddenly pretty excited for this score, although @TheUlyssesian makes a great point about how Doctor Strange got some pretty high praise and then ended up being nothing special. 

That one had some good action material.

That and Jurassic World were probably his last decent scores.

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd throw Tomorrowland in there, which is my favorite of all his film scores.  It's particularly special to me.

Tomorrowland was a complete triumph for Gia, a magnificent score. One of his absolute best.

I find that one insufferable. Just a mixture of limp pastiche and some of the more annoying Giacchino-isms. It had one or two good moments though.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

I find that one insufferable. Just a mixture of pastiche and some of the more annoying Giacchino-isms. It had one or two good moments though.

Indeed.  The one good moment being the tune that opens this.

If he'd penned that theme earlier as the basis for John Carter, that score would have been exceptional other than the shit recording.  But alas.