Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Max

2 hours ago, Jwfan2234 said:

When does this score come out?

On 6/12/2017 at 0:02 PM, Jay said:

CD coming Friday July 7th by a label called "Masterworks Broadway"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PSWYRZ

Although now it says July 21st and the label information is gone

Oh it changed release date again. It was listed as either 7th and 14th before. In the UK it is released by Sony Classical.

Karol

13 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Indeed.  The one good moment being the tune that opens this.

If he'd penned that theme earlier as the basis for John Carter, that score would have been exceptional other than the shit recording.  But alas.

Good tune.

The opening melody got annoying fast (Giacchino really needs to learn about variation and development). The "circus-like" music was the best part. Second half suffers from the same problem as the opening.

I really liked that! Not sure if I'm the biggest fan of the song at the end, but I definitely look forward to hearing more of the score soon!

1 hour ago, KK said:

The opening melody got annoying fast (Giacchino really needs to learn about variation and development). The "circus-like" music was the best part. Second half suffers from the same problem as the opening.

This is unfortunately a gripe I also have with Giacchino, especially lately. He can usually be counted on to write a good hook but before too long he ends up hitting a wall with it. Even some of his lovelier themes have this problem. 

This suite has some nice colors, though. Looking forward to the rest. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

No it doesn't. I downloaded the file but neither VLC or iTunes want to play it. but thanks for trying!

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The almost circus-like music (not sure that's the best way to describe it, but that's the first thing that came to my mind) is surprising, but I rather like it. The second half is OK.

No.

The third theme is clearly linked to Caesar's theme from the previous film. In fact it might be exactly what it is. And some material from that film is also reprised in the penultimate track.

Karol

Yes, I remember that annoyingly crude trumpet outline from the previous score.

Fantastic. I love his new material and the extensions he made to his material from 'Dawn' are great. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Gorgeous textures, with interesting exotic orchestration and some beautiful use of piano and choir. 

The "circus music" theme is a hard one to get into as it feels a lot more light-hearted than I was anticipating, but it'll probably make more sense once I hear it in the context of the film.

I read a few weeks ago that they developed backstories for side characters for potential spinoffs, and they said that Maurice the orangutan originally came from a circus, which is where he learned sign language. So maybe that "circus" theme is a theme for Maurice?

Love is a strong word brother! I do like War though, especially when compared to his banal Spider-man.

And yes, I was disappointed with the latest Zimmer track. But I still have faith!

Is Djiatchino finally growing up?

About that never-resolving four chord theme from Dawn (Cm, Eb, Dm, Am) that makes its first, truncated appearance at 6:49 in Apes' Past is Prologue. It didn't affect me in the previous score but here... I don't whether it's the orchestration or the way its framed by the surrounding material, but Christ is it haunting.

This is the Giacchino I like.

I'd go on to say I found it quite annoying in the previous film. But I agree, its rather potent here. Gia seems to really have nailed the perfect aesthetic for War.

Just got done listening to it all the way through twice.

Really happy with what I hear.

His use of choir is masterful at points. The Orchestration as well is so interesting to listen to. And it's wonderful to hear the building of war tension throughout. 

On first impressions, my standout track is 'Exodus Wounds.' Gorgeous new theme. And the way he brings back his main material from 'Dawn' in the piece 'Paradise Found' is great to hear. And that final minute where he combines his new theme from 'War' with his old theme from 'Dawn' is goosebump inducing.

Can't wait to hear it in the film itself, especially when the film is being called a masterpiece.

I also just finished listening to the OST album for the second time.  I like this a lot!

Good job, Michael!

It also just struck me that "Exodus Wounds" is a neutered take on "Anakin's Dark Deeds". There seems to be a fair bit of possible temp-track love here.