Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Max

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Why would the rise come before the dawn? That's why I always mix them up, because it doesn't make sense to me.

I've wondered the same thing!  Should've been Dawn-Rise-War for sure.

I think the original name for Rise was simply "Rise of the Apes," which would then make sense with "Dawn of the Planet..." coming after. 

Both films are definitely worth watching, I would say. Some of the best blockbuster filmmaking in recent years.

Pictures from the recording sessions:

http://scoringsessions.com/2017/07/14/michael-giacchino-scores-war-planet-apes/

The text confirms that Giacchino recorded an original trailer cue.. that went unused!

Surprised more people aren't talking about this. Haven't listened to the OST yet but the score in the film is pretty great and gets a lot of space to shine. The film's great too. On first impression seems like one of the best Giacchino efforts in recent years.

9 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Surprised more people aren't talking about this. Haven't listened to the OST yet but the score in the film is pretty great and gets a lot of space to shine. The film's great too. On first impression seems like one of the best Giacchino efforts in recent years.

The movie's only out today!  I've listened to the OST twice and liked it, but I'm going to see the movie next weekend and that will help cement the highlights in my mind.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The movie's only out today!  I've listened to the OST twice and liked it, but I'm going to see the movie next weekend and that will help cement the highlights in my mind.

Fair enough, I guess not everyone's ape crazy like me and saw it last night. 

Just listening to the soundtrack right now, but I must say I kinda feels like I already listened to it. It's funny, when I saw Spider-Man there were moments where I was trying to listen to the music and I literally could not hear it over the sound effects. That definitely was not an issue here, basically every cue comes through clear as day, and there are actually quite a few moments where the music is basically the only thing you can hear. Which made it easy to spot stuff like returning themes from Dawn (almost all of them I think?) and a good number of new themes (at least two or three that I noticed.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Pictures from the recording sessions:

http://scoringsessions.com/2017/07/14/michael-giacchino-scores-war-planet-apes/

The text confirms that Giacchino recorded an original trailer cue.. that went unused!

Wow, along with the TFA trailer 2 mess ... apparently no respect for the film's composers at the trailer houses anymore!

On July 12, 2017 at 0:10 PM, DominicCobb said:

I think the original name for Rise was simply "Rise of the Apes," which would then make sense with "Dawn of the Planet..." coming after. 

That makes more sense. I was also thinking maybe it's just one of those weird marketing things where "Rise" sounds cooler and is more of an active verb than "Dawn" to get people interested in the first film of a reboot. It does look backwards when you think about it, which I never did so doesn't really matter to me.

Probably not gonna get a chance to get to the movies for a couple weeks but very intrigued to get around to this with all the people impressed with it, especially since I'm hoping for a more interesting climax than the previous two movies, both of which I liked a lot except for their last 30 minutes when they fell into more typical action movie tropes. Dawn's bleakness didn't really bother me in general as I was pretty captivated by the Koba character (again until he became more of a routine villain at the end) and I thought the appeals to more warm sentiment generally worked, particularly the stuff with Caesar's son and the one really great scene where the humans stumble on the gas station (?) and get the radio working. That was a nice emotional hook that I can't remember seeing in an apocalypse movie before, the amazing novelty of hearing music for the first time in years.

Dawn was bleak but it still tried to tick off all the boxes in the blockbuster department. This one is definitely less interested in action and is even bleaker overall. I'm not sure if the film is politically astute, or as subversive as some people suggest, but it's exceptionally well put together and directed.

Karol

Saw the film yesterday and I really liked the score.it fitted the film like a glove. I don't know if it will work on cd (I don't listen to dawn a lot) but it enhances the film a lot.

There were so many wonderful musical highlights in the film. Every major moment on the score is showcased proudly in the film. It's almost unheard of when a film really does honour the score 100%. 

Like this entire sequence in the film where this piece played. The funny and emotional moments played effortlessly to the score. One of many great pieces on the score - 

That was physically painful to listen to! I had to slit my wrists after playing that cue to soothe the pain! Michael Giacchino is the worst thing to EVER happen to the entire music industry! Why can't they just use Jerry Goldsmith's classic score over and over? Film music is DEAD! DEAD! VERY VERY DEAD!

Spoiler

But yeah, that was alright. 

Had the chance to see this for free - and I got what I paid for.  Should have spent a couple hours on something else.  The score also loses some of its virtue on repeat listenings it seems.

Sure, it wasn't amateur hour technically.  But it left me utterly cold and felt totally unnecessary.  Bear in mind though that I don't see many movies as most, to me, feel unnecessary, and I wouldn't have seen this one if not talked into it.  If I don't expect to walk out of a film feeling different, thinking different, in some positive way, I don't bother.  Just tripped up with that policy here.

I very much understand John Powell's perspective these days, wondering what good, if any, a movie brings into the world, and letting a lot of my personal assessment of its worth be shaped by the answer.  

11 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Had the chance to see this for free - and I got what I paid for.  Should have spent a couple hours on something else.  The score also loses some of its virtue on repeat listenings it seems.

Your hatred for Giacchino had clouded your judgement. Now you wouldn't see a good thing if it hit you in the face.

But I've seen you defending Zimmer's score for Dunkirk and the film itself before even seeing it. Clouded judgement indeed.

Saw the film.

Very good movie. Emotional, well-rounded, and amazing special effects.

As for the score, I still like the score a lot. But in the movie, I have to say, Giacchino over scored some of the scenes, especially when they were riding in the snow going from place to place. The score was a bit too overbearing imo. 

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Your hatred for Giacchino had clouded your judgement. Now you wouldn't see a good thing if it hit you in the face.

But I've seen you defending Zimmer's score for Dunkirk and the film itself before even seeing it. Clouded judgement indeed.

Oh my god dude.  You didn't see me "defending" anything about Dunkirk.  Read the thread again.  You can be immensely petty. 

Yes, starting arguments over differences of pure opinion.  That's not really my style, I don't see the worth in arguing about subjective matters.  But here's leeallen01, doing just that because I didn't didn't like this movie and score. 

31 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Water is not wet when its frozen!

The surface of ice remains wet because of loosely bonded oxygen atoms in the top layer of molecules. This permits objects to slide on the ice. 

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Researchers-Discover-Why-Ice-Is-Slippery-Frozen-2956473.php

Besides, wet or dry depends on perception, and your warm fingers melt the ice at the point of contact with the ice, making liquid water. But if you place salt on the ice where you touch it, you can keep the ice cold enough to prevent this. It's perfectly safe. 

18 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yes, starting arguments over differences of pure opinion.  That's not really my style, I don't see the worth in arguing about subjective matters.

What...?

No one argues facts here. Everything we discuss is subjective. The entire point of this forum is to discuss opinion.

Ended up seeing the film again so I have a better sense of the score (even though I've only listened to the album once).

The "Noble Apes," "Humans," and Caesar themes return (as well as the "Baby" motif and also maybe "War" motif I think?). First time I saw it I thought I heard a hint of the "Rogue Apes" theme but don't remember when or where or if I was just imagining it.

There are a few new ones: a sort of lament (which is probably the most commonly occurring theme), a theme for Nova (which seems to be closely related to the "Humans" theme from Dawn), an apes on a mission theme, a theme for the Colonel and his troops, and a prison escape motif (and I think that might be it?).

Probably one of my favorite scores recently.

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

What...?

No one argues facts here. Everything we discuss is subjective. The entire point of this forum is to discuss opinion.

Discuss, yes.  Argue, no.  It's fine for those who enjoy that and do it, but I don't "start" anything unless I believe someone has said something that is objectively wrong or at least questionable.  And yes, this does happen.  

As you'll note in the Dunkirk thread, my only "beef" was with whether or not someone could really do what they claimed, or if they were just stretching the truth to put something down.  My only comment about the track itself, I believe, was in fact to call it middle of the road, and I didn't mention anyone else's opinion of it.  

I didn't get a chance to write this earlier, but I saw the film last Thursday, and I thought it was great! Easily my favorite so far this year, as is Giacchino's score. I thought Giacchino's standouts in the film always felt appropriate. Did anyone else think that some of the choir was removed from the movie, or am I just mistaken?

I might do a score breakdown by theme and track, like I did for Dawn, but overall I agree with the new themes that @DominicCobb mentioned (the lamentation theme, the posse theme, the Colonel's theme, and Nova's theme) as well as the returning themes from Dawn (the "Noble Apes" theme, the "Humans" theme, and Caesar's theme).

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Ended up seeing the film again so I have a better sense of the score (even though I've only listened to the album once).

The "Noble Apes," "Humans," and Caesar themes return (as well as the "Baby" motif and also maybe "War" motif I think?). First time I saw it I thought I heard a hint of the "Rogue Apes" theme but don't remember when or where or if I was just imagining it.

There are a few new ones: a sort of lament (which is probably the most commonly occurring theme), a theme for Nova (which seems to be closely related to the "Humans" theme from Dawn), an apes on a mission theme, a theme for the Colonel and his troops, and a prison escape motif (and I think that might be it?).

Probably one of my favorite scores recently.

I noticed the "Baby" motif as well, but I wasn't sure if it would still work as the "Baby" motif until I reconsidered the scene this morning. Do you consider the opening to "Planet of the Escapes" to be the prison escape motif, since the opening melody plays much longer in the film? Where do you think you heard the "War" motif?

57 minutes ago, Max said:

I didn't get a chance to write this earlier, but I saw the film last Thursday, and I thought it was great! Easily my favorite so far this year, as is Giacchino's score. I thought Giacchino's standouts in the film always felt appropriate. Did anyone else think that some of the choir was removed from the movie, or am I just mistaken?

Not having listened to the soundtrack enough, I can't say, but there was a good amount of it in the film from what I could tell (though there were moments, particularly the opening, where it seemed to be one of the few casualties to the mix this score faced, though I do wonder if parts like that weren't meant to be much more than subtle background noise).

I might do a score breakdown by theme and track, like I did for Dawn, but overall I agree with the new themes that @DominicCobb mentioned (the lamentation theme, the posse theme, the Colonel's theme, and Nova's theme) as well as the returning themes from Dawn (the "Noble Apes" theme, the "Humans" theme, and Caesar's theme).

I noticed the "Baby" motif as well, but I wasn't sure if it would still work as the "Baby" motif until I reconsidered the scene this morning.

Yeah, "baby" might not work in this context, though the respective scenes its used in in Dawn and War do share thematic similarities. Perhaps something like "birth," "life," or "beginnings"?

Do you consider the opening to "Planet of the Escapes" to be the prison escape motif, since the opening melody plays much longer in the film?

Yeah that's the one. Pretty ear wormy.

(Although now that you ask, wasn't there another, different motif when the apes were conspiring to escape? I'm going to have to give the album another listen).

Where do you think you heard the "War" motif?

This might be do to my relative unfamiliarity with that motif, and I don't have it in front of me right now, but I thought I heard it in the opening sequence ("Apes' Past is Prologue" at about 6:40) though that might be something else.

Just saw the movie. I haven't listened to the OST yet. I liked the score in the movie. I got a strong 70s vibe from it especially John Barry from that era. There is one motif that is mostly heard in act one that is very similar to the second half of Anakin's Dark Deeds.

Looking forward to my album listen.

Although it's a good score, I don't understand why movie critics are collectively praising it. There have been many far more better/interesting/innovative scores in recent years that were completely ignored by them.

Harry Potter received the same flak as War Horse. It's the impossible standards that just can't be guaged. Either it stands out because it is prominent or it stands out because it is TOO prominent.