Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Max

Just came back from the movie. It was OK, but IMO the weakest of the new POTA films so far.

The score was dreadful.

I watched this on Tuesday. Clearly this Reeves guy has some talent, but the movie was quite disappointing, especially since it's being hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the end, it's just more of your usual blockbuster fare but slowed down and more dressed up. Oh, and the score really loses its steam by the first half hour.

28 minutes ago, KK said:

I watched this on Tuesday. Clearly this Reeves guy has some talent, but the movie was quite disappointing, especially since it's being hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the end, it's just more of your usual blockbuster fare but slowed down and more dressed up. Oh, and the score really loses its steam by the first half hour.

Pretty much my feelings as well!

The opening setpiece was probably the best part of the movie. Everything after that was pretty meh. CGI was great though.

Listen, it is just purely sick and disgusting that you are constantly so negative about me!  It is really annoying to read your trolling every time I sign in.  Please, find something more positive and interesting to talk about. 

7 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Listen, it is just purely sick and disgusting that you are constantly so negative about me!  It is really annoying to read your trolling every time I sign in.  Please, find something more positive and interesting to talk about. 

I am positive that you are wrong!

12 hours ago, KK said:

especially since it's being hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We ought to stop paying attention at all to hype, advertising and so on. It just spoils everything.

People today are just allergic to quality. The box office is showing that in spades.

They complain and try to find ways to insult a fantastic film and score. Almost everyone on here that has insulted this score has passionately expressed their dislike for Giacchino before. It's merely stubbornness. They're too embarrassed to admit how great this score is and how well it works in the film, because it will damage their Giacchino hater image.

Today is filled with too many boringly negative people. Give them a subject to discuss, and they immediately find a way to insult it, instead of finding a way to compliment it. Sad sad people.

42 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

They complain and try to find ways to insult a fantastic film and score. Almost everyone on here that has insulted this score has passionately expressed their dislike for Giacchino before. It's merely stubbornness. They're too embarrassed to admit how great this score is and how well it works in the film, because it will damage their Giacchino hater image.

Today is filled with too many boringly negative people. Give them a subject to discuss, and they immediately find a way to insult it, instead of finding a way to compliment it. Sad sad people.

You're such a bozo, it's not even funny anymore.

It's like watching a girl who's really wasted and should just go home just walk from room to room at the house party embarrassing herself.  Except in this situation she probably won't even have the decency to feel shame when she wakes up the next afternoon.

I knew he was questionable since he expressed similar sentiments a while back, decrying everyone on here as stubborn and incapable of handling differing opinions - this was, I believe, his debut post.  An interesting strategy.

45 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So, I take it you guys disagree with him?

Not relevant.  It's like with the drunk girl at a party, it doesn't even matter what she's talking about, you're just trying to avoid her.

Funny we should have this discussion in this particular Giacchino threat... dedicated to one of his most liked scores (on this forum).

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Ha!  I went out to get the mail this afternoon, and this CD was in my mailbox!  I totally forgot we didn't have it yet; It's been on spotify for what, a month?  I don't even know if the film is playing near me any more.  I wonder if this will go OOP soonish like like John Carter and Tomorrowland OSTs did (I know those were both on Disney Records, but still).

And yea, the credit for Track 1 to Griffith Giacchino is a bit odd; First that its a pretty big credit right on the back of the CD, and not something left for inside the booklet.  But also because its a huge, 11 minute track, that kind of sets up the whole score.  It's a bit odd to me out of all the cues to pass off to a co-composer, he went with that one.  Of course, since its his own son, its completely possible they collaborated on it, or he guided Griffith heavily, but still gave him full credit, etc.

It's just like when any of your parents make a school project for you...

There is no way the teacher is going to believe you did it alone :P

Though i must say, i did some of those projects all by my own...and some teachers asked if i had been helped...

So maybe Griffith is the next Michael!.

• 4 months later...

Kind of bonkers that we have yet to see any major non-Star-Trek Giacchino expansions from the labels.  Wonder if it's because he started film so recently.  Is 15 years still the point where royalties drop to the point of feasibility on scores?  If so, we may be seeing those earlier Giacchino scores fairly soon.

I wasn't counting that one because it was more of a premiere release, but you're right - it looks complete, so it counts!  Also reminds me that I still need to pick that one up.  Maybe someday somebody will expand Speed Racer, Giacchino's perfect angel.

I'll likely be getting War for POTA for Christmas so I haven't heard it separately yet, but in the movie I enjoyed it more than his Dawn.