• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Max

Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

315 posts in this topic

Whether a film makes a billion or not is irrelevant to its revenue-to-budget ratio. For a film budgeted at $50 million, a return of $260 million is impressive.

It's those $200+ million mega epics that require billion dollar returns to justify their existence.

If I'm not mistaken, this will be Greer's fourth film scored by Giacchino

Yep. The two Planet Of The Apes movies, Jurassic World and Tomorrowland.

He wants ME to be in the film?

I'm honored, but not thank you.

You might be able to strike a deal for the Hobbit sessions...

I legitimately like Giacchino's early stuff A LOT - but something happened after he worked on Lost where his orchestrations became annoyingly simple? Or lacking in some sort of orchestral building somehow. A perfect example is Speed Racer, which has these incredible moments of melody and ideas - but lack because they're lacking in either counterpoint or harmony.

His Star Trek stuff (which I'm not a fan of at all) also sounds a bit too much like late Horner to me. Jupiter Ascending was a few steps in the right direction.

His Apes score wasn't bad but I don't remember a damn thing about it (or the movie) either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he personally likes the more thin sound.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he personally likes the more thin sound.

More power to him. Obviously, its a case by case basis.

I actually think this could be a good score.  While I felt the Rise score was overlong, with many cues not doing much for me, the ones with the good themes were great, and if those are embellished here with some new ones we could have a more focused and pretty kick ass war / action score

War for the Planet of the Apes begins recording tomorrow!!

This is probably my most anticipated 2017 score from Giacchino. I can't wait to hear him build upon his themes from Dawn (which I listened to earlier today) and to hear what new themes he's written!

leeallen01 likes this

Hmmm I dunno; I liked the Dawn score too, and look forward to War, but I think I'm much more excited to see what Book of Henry is all about, and his Spider-man score might harken back to his more fun older scores instead of the more serious ones he's had to do lately.  I mean, Doctor Strange is a comic book movie but the score doesn't really contain a lot of fun or whimsy at all

Two Hipsters wearing a hat indoors!

Morons!

Really?! It looks to me that War For The Planet Of The Apes will suffer from 'the third movie syndrome*'. 

* It all goes to crap

PS: It even features a cute Dakota Fanning clone (most likely a link to Spielberg's War Of The Worlds)

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Two Hipsters wearing a hat indoors!

Morons!

Maybe they're bald!

There's no shame in being bald!

(not that I am)

Bald heads look better when they're covered with something, like hair, a beanie or a hat.

Once likes this

The film looks like a piece of art. I'm sure you could freeze frame many shots from the film and hang it up on the wall. I get chills watching those effect shots from Dawn, and I'm sure this will even exceed that. Looking forward to the score greatly. Big fan of Doyle's Rise and Giacchino's Dawn scores. And will be happy to hear Giacchino's minimalist and tribal approach carry over from Dawn into War.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Well, looks like they took this score seriously...

Here you go. Some people enjoy their jobs.

Screenshot_2017-04-01-10-17-09-1.png

Film music is serious business!

Was anyone at JG's 70th birthday concert, at the Barbican, in 1999? His remark about sweet wrappers was fun!

No, but I was at his 75th, while he was not. Because of the fucking cancer! :(

I'm not one to comment on something with only shit to say, but good grief, why is there another one of these movies?   I know no one wants to have their own ideas, but this is one of the worst things to keep milking.  Grimy, dark, and Super Serious contemporary cinematic trash, all of them.  There should never have been anything beyond the very fine original. 

1) They make money.

2) Some people enjoy them.

3) They are good films which are reviewed highly.

4) They are stunning shows of what CGI can achieve. And they use it for storytelling, not 2 hours of explosions.

5) They advance film-making technology.

With today's blockbuster, you are lucky to get one of those things.

Only the Chuck Heston one is worthwhile!

I haven't seen any of these films. 

War looks solid from the teaser. Sounds like a Michael Crichton story, which I always love (albeit without the awesome lengthy philosophical/scientific discussion in a Crichton book, I presume).