• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Max

Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

315 posts in this topic

This film will have a strong message; that when the end of the world happens and Woody Harrelson can't buy weed anymore, we're all screwed.

3 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I'm not one to comment on something with only shit to say, but good grief, why is there another one of these movies?   I know no one wants to have their own ideas, but this is one of the worst things to keep milking.  Grimy, dark, and Super Serious contemporary cinematic trash, all of them.  There should never have been anything beyond the very fine original. 

Much like Jurassic Park, this is one of those series where literally only the original film is worth a damn.  No sequels should have been made in either case.

EDIT: I assumed by "very fine original" you mean the 1968 film, but I now realize you could have meant the 2009 reboot since it's the "original" in this current series.  I meant the '68 should never have gotten any sequels including the modern series.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Only the Chuck Heston one is worthwhile!

Yep.  And yes Disco Stu, that's the one I meant.  Certainly not the 2009 installment.  Hell, the original sequels are watchable for how bad they are.  These new ones are just soulless blockbuster crap to me.

And no composer likely to work on these films, least of all Giacchino, will ever approach this!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Much like Jurassic Park, this is one of those series where literally only the original film is worth a damn.  No sequels should have been made in either case.

TLW isn't a good sum of its parts, but compared to the films that followed it has some outstanding moments.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

EDIT: I assumed by "very fine original" you mean the 1968 film, but I now realize you could have meant the 2009 reboot since it's the "original" in this current series.  I meant the '68 should never have gotten any sequels including the modern series.

Why? I enjoy the sequels.

"I don't like the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy or any of its music, so I'll make sure to go on the specific thread that talks about those things to tell everyone how much I don't like them."

Congratulations. Go and watch those films then, and we'll enjoy the new ones and their music.

I actually quite like Giacchino's score for the last one.... just didn't think the movie was good.

I think I gave both movies a 7/10. For modern blockbusters, I find they surprisingly entertaining. Not that the leave a deep imprint in the mind ...

I guess the haters are more into the new Star Warses, right?

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

"I don't like the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy or any of its music, so I'll make sure to go on the specific thread that talks about those things to tell everyone how much I don't like them."

Congratulations. Go and watch those films then, and we'll enjoy the new ones and their music.

I see you're still the most delicate flower of JWFan.  Fret not.  The beauty of this forum is that you can say what you want just as I can. So go ahead and talk about these terrible films and scores to put some distance between my horribly dissenting posts and sweet, sweet comfort. 

He's acting just like you did when me and KK were slightly critical about Interstellar!

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

So go ahead and talk about these terrible films

Yes...such terrible films. How will they ever recover from such scathing reviews. They could only wish for reviews like the original got...

Screenshot_2017-04-02-21-23-04-1.png

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

He's acting just like you did when me and KK were slightly critical about Interstellar!

At least you two are relevant members of the community.

How dare you call me relevant!

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

At least you two are relevant members of the community.

Have you ever posted anything relevant? Can't say I recall a single one of your posts. 

Anyway, this is about discussing Giacchino and his upcoming score for War of the Planet of the Apes, not a measuring competition. If you do not wish to discuss Giacchino or his upcoming score for this film, then perhaps this thread isn't for you. If you read the title, you will see that is the case. :) 

I don't understand all the aggression in this thread... seems to happen in every Giacchino thread!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't understand all the aggression in this thread... seems to happen in every Giacchino thread!

This has more to do with Leeallen and TGP getting a bit bitchy when their heroes aren't being acknowledged than with Gia.

Both have been known to get a bit...prickly, at times

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This has more to do with Leeallen and TGP getting a bit bitchy when their heroes aren't being acknowledged than with Gia.

Both have been known to get a bit...prickly, at times

Funny how it's always Zimmerites and Giacchinotes. Goes to show healthy listening to these composers' music is...

These people are just sensitive towards how their artist is perceived by others I guess. Perhaps deep down they know that Zimmer and Gia have severe limitations?

I must they must know right?

Just now, Stefancos said:

I must they must know right?

lol. We have another "Top 5 Material" post right there, folks!

Might be the new "My fishes has fish"!

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Have you ever posted anything relevant? Can't say I recall a single one of your posts. 

The community reputation features seem to indicate that many here tend to value some of what I post enough to click a button indicating as much. 

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

The community reputation features seem to indicate that many here tend to value some of what I post enough to click a button indicating as much. 

Those arent as indicative as post count though!

I have no problem with some people not liking Giacchino's music. However, I do have a problem with some people spending their time making sure everyone knows they don't like it, and constantly interrupting discussions about him to do so.

Just now, leeallen01 said:

I have no problem with some people not liking Giacchino's music. However, I do have a problem with some people spending their time making sure everyone knows they don't like it, and constantly interrupting discussions about him to do so.

This, this, a thousand times this!

leeallen01 likes this

This is a discussion forum though. Aren't people allowed to be critical here?

Of course, but there is a difference between listening to a score and then stating your opinion about it, vs popping into the thread of every score by a composer you don't like just to state you don't like his work and that it never does anything for you, etc.

leeallen01 likes this

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Those arent as indicative as post count though!

The only postcount that matters is one's postcount in the mstrox thread.

Let's end this bickering though. It's pointless. I am more than willing to hear constructive criticism and funny criticism about any composers work, but not pointless attacks against them and the fans of their work for liking it.

But as a caveat; anyone that criticises my sacred god James Newton Howard will feel my wrath in the form of piercing looks and a general distaste for their very being.

Track list! My most anticipated 2017 Giacchino score. :D

(Beware of spoilers)

Spoiler

1. Apes’ Past is Prologue
2. Assault of the Earth
3. Exodus Wounds
4. The Posse Polonaise
5. The Bad Ape Bagatelle
6. Don’t Luca Now
7. Koba Dependent
8. The Ecstasy of the Bold
9. Apes Together Strong
10. A Tide in the Affairs of Apes
11. Planet of the Escapes
12. The Hating Game
13. A Man Named Suicide
14. More Red Than Alive
15. Migration
16. Paradise Found
17. End Credits

Jay likes this

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Spoiler alert in one of the track titles, it seems

Good point. I fixed it.

Slashfilm gave the film (and Giacchino's score) a very positive review!

Source: 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Review: One of the Most Significant Blockbusters of the Decade

Another stellar piece of the film is the score composed by Michael GiacchinoWar for the Planet of the Apes has the kind of unique sounds that will make fans wish notes like this could be utilized for their favorite superhero blockbusters. There are distinct themes here that not only accompany the action well, but also inspire a swell of emotion during the more gripping and poignant scenes in the movie, of which there are many.