• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Max

Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

315 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Water is not wet when its frozen!

The surface of ice remains wet because of loosely bonded oxygen atoms in the top layer of molecules. This permits objects to slide on the ice. 

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Researchers-Discover-Why-Ice-Is-Slippery-Frozen-2956473.php

Besides, wet or dry depends on perception, and your warm fingers melt the ice at the point of contact with the ice, making liquid water. But if you place salt on the ice where you touch it, you can keep the ice cold enough to prevent this. It's perfectly safe. 

18 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yes, starting arguments over differences of pure opinion.  That's not really my style, I don't see the worth in arguing about subjective matters.

What...?

No one argues facts here. Everything we discuss is subjective. The entire point of this forum is to discuss opinion.

TGP doesn't believe in subjective opinions. His views are stated as facts.

Ended up seeing the film again so I have a better sense of the score (even though I've only listened to the album once).

The "Noble Apes," "Humans," and Caesar themes return (as well as the "Baby" motif and also maybe "War" motif I think?). First time I saw it I thought I heard a hint of the "Rogue Apes" theme but don't remember when or where or if I was just imagining it.

There are a few new ones: a sort of lament (which is probably the most commonly occurring theme), a theme for Nova (which seems to be closely related to the "Humans" theme from Dawn), an apes on a mission theme, a theme for the Colonel and his troops, and a prison escape motif (and I think that might be it?).

Probably one of my favorite scores recently.

Max likes this

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

What...?

No one argues facts here. Everything we discuss is subjective. The entire point of this forum is to discuss opinion.

Discuss, yes.  Argue, no.  It's fine for those who enjoy that and do it, but I don't "start" anything unless I believe someone has said something that is objectively wrong or at least questionable.  And yes, this does happen.  

As you'll note in the Dunkirk thread, my only "beef" was with whether or not someone could really do what they claimed, or if they were just stretching the truth to put something down.  My only comment about the track itself, I believe, was in fact to call it middle of the road, and I didn't mention anyone else's opinion of it.  

I didn't get a chance to write this earlier, but I saw the film last Thursday, and I thought it was great! Easily my favorite so far this year, as is Giacchino's score. I thought Giacchino's standouts in the film always felt appropriate. Did anyone else think that some of the choir was removed from the movie, or am I just mistaken?

I might do a score breakdown by theme and track, like I did for Dawn, but overall I agree with the new themes that @DominicCobb mentioned (the lamentation theme, the posse theme, the Colonel's theme, and Nova's theme) as well as the returning themes from Dawn (the "Noble Apes" theme, the "Humans" theme, and Caesar's theme).

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Ended up seeing the film again so I have a better sense of the score (even though I've only listened to the album once).

The "Noble Apes," "Humans," and Caesar themes return (as well as the "Baby" motif and also maybe "War" motif I think?). First time I saw it I thought I heard a hint of the "Rogue Apes" theme but don't remember when or where or if I was just imagining it.

There are a few new ones: a sort of lament (which is probably the most commonly occurring theme), a theme for Nova (which seems to be closely related to the "Humans" theme from Dawn), an apes on a mission theme, a theme for the Colonel and his troops, and a prison escape motif (and I think that might be it?).

Probably one of my favorite scores recently.

I noticed the "Baby" motif as well, but I wasn't sure if it would still work as the "Baby" motif until I reconsidered the scene this morning. Do you consider the opening to "Planet of the Escapes" to be the prison escape motif, since the opening melody plays much longer in the film? Where do you think you heard the "War" motif?

57 minutes ago, Max said:

I didn't get a chance to write this earlier, but I saw the film last Thursday, and I thought it was great! Easily my favorite so far this year, as is Giacchino's score. I thought Giacchino's standouts in the film always felt appropriate. Did anyone else think that some of the choir was removed from the movie, or am I just mistaken?

Not having listened to the soundtrack enough, I can't say, but there was a good amount of it in the film from what I could tell (though there were moments, particularly the opening, where it seemed to be one of the few casualties to the mix this score faced, though I do wonder if parts like that weren't meant to be much more than subtle background noise).

I might do a score breakdown by theme and track, like I did for Dawn, but overall I agree with the new themes that @DominicCobb mentioned (the lamentation theme, the posse theme, the Colonel's theme, and Nova's theme) as well as the returning themes from Dawn (the "Noble Apes" theme, the "Humans" theme, and Caesar's theme).

I noticed the "Baby" motif as well, but I wasn't sure if it would still work as the "Baby" motif until I reconsidered the scene this morning.

Yeah, "baby" might not work in this context, though the respective scenes its used in in Dawn and War do share thematic similarities. Perhaps something like "birth," "life," or "beginnings"?

Do you consider the opening to "Planet of the Escapes" to be the prison escape motif, since the opening melody plays much longer in the film?

Yeah that's the one. Pretty ear wormy.

(Although now that you ask, wasn't there another, different motif when the apes were conspiring to escape? I'm going to have to give the album another listen).

Where do you think you heard the "War" motif?

This might be do to my relative unfamiliarity with that motif, and I don't have it in front of me right now, but I thought I heard it in the opening sequence ("Apes' Past is Prologue" at about 6:40) though that might be something else.

Max likes this

Just saw the movie. I haven't listened to the OST yet. I liked the score in the movie. I got a strong 70s vibe from it especially John Barry from that era. There is one motif that is mostly heard in act one that is very similar to the second half of Anakin's Dark Deeds.

Looking forward to my album listen.

Although it's a good score, I don't understand why movie critics are collectively praising it. There have been many far more better/interesting/innovative scores in recent years that were completely ignored by them.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Film critics tend to praise scores they actually notice when watching films.  Simple as that.

This!

Harry Potter received the same flak as War Horse. It's the impossible standards that just can't be guaged. Either it stands out because it is prominent or it stands out because it is TOO prominent. 

Just came back from the movie. It was OK, but IMO the weakest of the new POTA films so far.

The score was dreadful.

I watched this on Tuesday. Clearly this Reeves guy has some talent, but the movie was quite disappointing, especially since it's being hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the end, it's just more of your usual blockbuster fare but slowed down and more dressed up. Oh, and the score really loses its steam by the first half hour.

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

28 minutes ago, KK said:

I watched this on Tuesday. Clearly this Reeves guy has some talent, but the movie was quite disappointing, especially since it's being hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the end, it's just more of your usual blockbuster fare but slowed down and more dressed up. Oh, and the score really loses its steam by the first half hour.

Pretty much my feelings as well!

The opening setpiece was probably the best part of the movie. Everything after that was pretty meh. CGI was great though.

Well they could make meh like that more often as far as I'm concerned.

I think I just happened to enjoy the intense downer style of the thing for some reason.

Listen, it is just purely sick and disgusting that you are constantly so negative about me!  It is really annoying to read your trolling every time I sign in.  Please, find something more positive and interesting to talk about. 

7 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Listen, it is just purely sick and disgusting that you are constantly so negative about me!  It is really annoying to read your trolling every time I sign in.  Please, find something more positive and interesting to talk about. 

I am positive that you are wrong!

12 hours ago, KK said:

especially since it's being hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We ought to stop paying attention at all to hype, advertising and so on. It just spoils everything.