Ennio Morricone - The Hateful Eight

Muad'Dib

I think so far nothing is known regarding the music of Tarantino's upcoming film The Hateful Eight, so let's say you knew or you wanted to hear a particular piece of music that you always wanted to hear in a Tarantino western or thought it could be a nice fit, what would it be? Some of the suggestions in the Williams/Tarantino thread were really nice -especially Marlowe in Mexico- so with the basis that it's a Tarantino western there's a lot of room for music selection, Morricone influenced or not. After Django Unchained anything's possible.

So, to kick off this mindset two of my ideas

It'd be nice if Tarantino scrapped his needle drops for once and get an actual composer to score this. That would up my interest significantly.

I don't get why Tarantino bags on composers. Not all movies need a score, per se, but not every film can be scored with pre-existing songs.

He tried to do that for Inglourious Basterds, but Harvey Weinstein wouldn't wait for Morricone's schedule to free up. The music selection in his films are perfect and don't need to be changed.

I'm not sure which track I would choose, but now that Tarantino has chosen Goldsmith once, he has to use a piece from him EVERY time. ;)

Wouldn't it be crazy if he one day chose a John Williams piece? :D

It'd be nice if Tarantino scrapped his needle drops for once and get an actual composer to score this. That would up my interest significantly.

I don't get why Tarantino bags on composers. Not all movies need a score, per se, but not every film can be scored with pre-existing songs.

There's an interview on the Pulp Fiction collector's edition soundtrack where he talked about his fear of rejecting someone's music if he didn't like it. No surprise that he's a control freak, but he's been more open to it lately. As Koray said, he wanted Ennio Morricone to score Inglourious Basterds initially, plus Kill Bill had some original stuff and he had 4 songs written for Django Unchained, including one by Morricone.

I'm not sure which track I would choose, but now that Tarantino has chosen Goldsmith once, he has to use a piece from him EVERY time. ;)

Wouldn't it be crazy if he one day chose a John Williams piece? :D

Let's keep JW and Tarantino well and truly apart, shall we, if you don't mind?

He does? If so, are there any links to interviews where he says this?

I found this clip where he talks about it a little more harshly than he has in the past. Starts around 2:10

Essentially, he thinks he's so good that something he didn't create is inferior by nature ;)

Sharky is gonna love this video.

There's an interview on the Pulp Fiction collector's edition soundtrack where he talked about his fear of rejecting someone's music if he didn't like it. No surprise that he's a control freak, but he's been more open to it lately. As Koray said, he wanted Ennio Morricone to score Inglourious Basterds initially, plus Kill Bill had some original stuff and he had 4 songs written for Django Unchained, including one by Morricone.

That's why Tarantino should listen to music from composers he likes, to get a good idea of what the score should sound like. That way when he approaches them, have them write a demo. That would reduce the chances of rejecting it, no?

He should take chances more often (like he did with Kill Bill). But no, his ego has to get in the way like always...

I found this clip where he talks about it a little more harshly than he has in the past. Starts around 2:10

Essentially, he thinks he's so good that something he didn't create is inferior by nature ;)

"Some of these guys can be real prima donnas." - Quentin Tarantino

That Tarantino's prime (when he made Dogs, Fiction, Brown) is way beyond us.

What? Inglorious Basterds is one of his best!

"Some of these guys can be real prima donnas." - Quentin Tarantino

Well, in his defence, they can be.

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I hope it's a full score and not just one track.

Yes that's what I'm wondering too, because there was also a rumor recently (though I can't find an article that mentions it now) that Tarantino wanted to open the film with an overture in the style of 60s roadshows and was seeking out Morricone to write that. So it's possible that that would be what he's agreed to do, but hopefully it also means a full score!

• 3 weeks later...

My Italian is quite rusty, but by the end of the video they ask Morricone if he'll be doing the next Tarantino movie and he says something among the lines of "he had to convince me, but I'll do it" and Tarantino screams of joy. We have a few italians here, help me out! :lol:

He does say seem to say Tarantino convinced him ("(...) mi ha convinto", at 3:46). I'm not sure either, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to make one announcement that people don’t know yet. It wasn’t for sure, but we just settled it. You guys know that I don’t use an original score in my movies, I kinda take scores from other movies and put ‘em in there. This one, I thought should have an original score. So I’m here to announce that the great Ennio Morricone will be doing the score for The Hateful Eight. He’s writing right now, and recording in Prague in the next couple of weeks."

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-hateful-eight-score/

Though I can totally see QT rejecting most or all of the score because it doesnt sound "Ennio Morricone" enough....

Yeah, and he'll replace the original score with music from other Morricone scores.

It looks like Quentin Tarantino is finally growing up.

About time.

Yeah, now that hack Woody Allen needs to as well. These immature phonies that don't use original music need to go back to film school.

Tarantino will never grow up, with or without original scores in his movies. And that's precisely why people love him (and hate him).

His hand-picked cues are one of the reasons I love him, yes. But it should also be interesting to hear a "proper" score in his films. I think this is an extreme exception. He wouldn't have done it with anyone else, and I'm sure he'll go back to his usual self after this.