Ennio Morricone - The Hateful Eight

Muad'Dib

I went looking for them in the Hateful soundtrack too after seeing the movie :lol: The way QT used "Bestiality" added so much bizarre dark humor to it.

I'll have to listen to that whole rejected soundtrack someday, all three of those are great.

I love The Thing, have seen it several times, own it on DVD, but I absolutely did not recognize "Bestiality" at all.  Damn.  The Exorcist cue stood out to me as well but I didn't know it wasn't new.

That's because Bestiality only appears on the soundtrack album. Carpenter didn't use quite a few pieces from Morricone's brilliant score.

Karol

I saw the film yesterday, a 70mm screening for the press here in Oslo.

Well, it's an OK film. I've never really disliked anything by Tarantino. But it was still rather underwhelming compared to what I had expected. I thought it would be a THE THING-like isolation drama with more silence to let us soak up the atmosphere. Instead, it relies heavily on dialogue that FEELS very written (not surprising, given it's Tarantino, of course) and less exploration of the surroundings and the place.

The first act (before the intermission) is far better than the second, IMO. I loved the opening titles, with those gorgeous vistas in 70mm and Morricone's cool music (as his own name pops up on screen, there's a sudden crescendo in the music).

Speaking of Morricone, I'm not totally sold. Yes, there's some intensity in the Kilar-like minimalism (reminscent of suspense music from THE UNTOUCHABLES) that is appropriate for the scenes in question, but at times it becomes grating. It's not a Morricone I generally like -- neither on album or in film.

Film: 3 out of 5
Music: 2 out of 5

(PS. I just want to point out that I think INGLORIOUS BASTERDS is a bonafide masterpiece and the best thing Tarantino has ever done. Just in case you think my slight disappointment in this is representative of my Tarantino view in general).

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hateful Eight FYC CD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181982557741

Would that have anything not on the OST on it?

I doubt it, as there isn't that much music in the first place, but it obviously leaves out the non-original cues from THE THING, EXORCIST 2 etc.

On 07/01/2016 at 10:27 AM, Thor said:

I doubt it, as there isn't that much music in the first place, but it obviously leaves out the non-original cues from THE THING, EXORCIST 2 etc.

I haven't heard the FYC yet, but it may present the music as used in the film. From memory, its somewhat different to the pieces as presented on the commercial album.  For starters I think there is a cue after the Overture (which may be the first minute or so of the Neve track) which then segues into the titles. 

• 3 weeks later...

Precious and priceless Martin guitar of 1870 smashed in The Hateful Eight:

"As a result of the incident, the company will no longer loan guitars to movies under any circumstances.”

https://reverb.com/blog/cf-martin-responds-to-the-destruction-of-145-year-old-guitar-on-hateful-eight-set

I thought this was one of the most interesting scores of 2015 because at first listen, theres not much there. On the OST album there are 16 tracks by ennio morricone, and they don't differ that much. Besides the Neve tracks, each track by him revolves around either that slow 4 note progression that is heard first in "overture", or the bassoon theme that is heard in...everything. I was lucky enough to get the FYC for this, which is extremely rare, and it is even more interesting. It includes only the edits of the songs that are used in the film, with no dialogue clips or outside songs. As i kept listening to it, i found more and more hidden gems within the seemingly limited themes. I was at first disappointed with the scarcity of which they used the score in the film, but after some thought I think the less they use it the more it stood out. It was also weird to me that they only included music from 8 of the 16 tracks morricone composed. They edited that 12 minute track "neve" into three separate cues, and disregarded half of the original tracks that are heard on the OST. the intro from the movie uses the first minute and half (approx) of neve and then transitions into a very edited version of "L'diligenza di red rock". Excerpts from "neve" are heard when the stagecoach is arriving at the cabin for the first time, and when samuel jackson gets his dick sucked. I can do an elaborate breakdown of the OST to the film if anyone is remotely interested but if not I just thought that this score was extremely interesting, and I found it fascinating how morricone was able to create so much within the musical restraints he seemed to put on himself for this score.

Or rather: even with the limiting possibilities of Tarantino's movie, Morricone still dances jigs harmonically around the static bullshit that passes for good film music in 2015 (yes, i am looking at you, 'The Revenant').

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Morricone still dances jigs harmonically around the static bullshit that passes for good film music in 2015 (yes, i am looking at you, 'The Revenant').

Oh but that's a silly comparison and you know it.  I wouldn't want Morricone's score in that film, and I wouldn't want Sakomoto's in this one.  Wildly different except for the snowiness.

As KK mentioned, the Morricone hardly IS in it. As a moviegoer i hardly would care about 'Revenant's non-score, so my comment was purely selfish wish fulfilment: because i can imagine this movie with a real score and it would mean added value to me. 

I can do an elaborate breakdown of the OST to the film if anyone is remotely interested but if not I just thought that this score was extremely interesting, and I found it fascinating how morricone was able to create so much within the musical restraints he seemed to put on himself for this score.

Yes, please :)

8 minutes ago, KK. said:

If he doesn't win the Oscar for TFA (which he won't), then he won't be winning another Oscar for Star Wars.

No if Johnson forces him to do a "sound design" kind of score. That could give him a chance!

Ennio Morricone was presented with his BAFTA for his score for The Hateful Eight on stage at the O2 Arena in London at yesterday's concert, which was nice.  He had not attended the ceremony because he was conducting a concert in Dublin on Sunday night.

It's a shame the Raggi di Sole Sulla Montagna track went completely unused on the actual film, it's a little avant garde masterpiece. Would have been great on the scene where the Exorcist cue is played, with the slow motion shot of the horses carrying the stagecoach.

Amazing that Ennio is still a working composer today. I mean, I was a little kid when My Name Is Nobody was some kind of radio hit! He was probably the first film composer that I took notice of.

15 hours ago, Michael said:

It's a shame the Raggi di Sole Sulla Montagna track went completely unused on the actual film, it's a little avant garde masterpiece. Would have been great on the scene where the Exorcist cue is played, with the slow motion shot of the horses carrying the stagecoach.

I agree that it should have been used, but definitely not that scene imo. that sequence once beautiful and "regan's" theme fit perfectly. I think raggi di sole sulla montagna should have been used with a shot of the cabin from the outside during the morning or something

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, leave the poor guy in peace! He's 87, in a wheelchair, just off a long-haul flight and they're shoving albums in his face without even looking interested.

Grubby autograph hunters, half of them probably can't even pronounce his last name.