Bespin

4 hours ago, lairdo said:

Thanks for maintaining this thread and the wiki list. 

I have been going through my collection to see what I am missing, particularly on the concert works, and I noticed today that Hymn to New England is on the Denver Brass John Williams album (track 11). I did not see that on the wiki in the concert pieces section under that grouping, and so I wasn't sure if that was just missing or not there for some other reason. I do know that album is listed under other concert works, so seems like we just have to add it here to for the Hymn.

I'm also happy to add things I find like that (if any), or post here as requested. 

Thanks. 

Any help for keeping the wiki article up to date is welcome, many thanks!

EDIT : website updated!
image.png

A user added a single for Saving Private Ryan on the Wiki Article?

Never heard of that, any confirmation? A visual would be welcome!

On 1/14/2019 at 2:46 AM, Bespin said:

Any help for keeping the wiki article up to date is welcome, many thanks!

Great! I've added the Denver Brass album to the A Hymn for New England section of the concert works.

I made 2 other changes too:

Under "America, The Dream Goes On" for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Encore Collection entry, I noted that this is also available on Spirit of America by itself (which is the album in the Encore 4 disc set).

That same album contains "Summon the Heroes," (edit! I mean "Call of the Champions") and I've added that to the appropriate part of the list (edit: I had put it in the right part on the wiki entry - just listed it wrong here).

61LPHD+foVL.jpg

On 1/13/2019 at 11:51 PM, Thor said:

"Hymn to New England" is available on several other recordings too, like AMERICAN JOURNEY.

Indeed. I was just referencing that the Wiki page did not have the Denver Brass on the otherwise fairly complete list. But I've added it now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

John Williams at the Movies contains more than just one track. ;)

I know, but it’s a subsection dedicated to concert works.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there any collection of Williams' concertos? Are they all available on CD?

No but Slatkin is slowly but surely working on that!

16 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there any collection of Williams' concertos? Are they all available on CD?

Agreed that we will likely get a full set by Slatkin and the DSO at some point.

Also, there are two albums I would recommend if you are looking for more than one concert piece. Treesong with Gil Shaham on violin, JW conducting the Boston Symphony has Tree Song (basically a violin concerto), the original violin concerto (revised version) and 3 pieces from Schindler's List.

The second is Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams. This has the cello concerto (written for Yo-Yo), 3 Pieces for Solo Cello (from Rosewood), the Elegy and Heartwood. So, not all concerti but at least all in the form of concert hall music.

@Bespin Thanks for putting together this discography, there are way more releases than I thought!

Since I purchased the Sony 20-CD box set last year, I wished that there was a similar Philips box set to get.  I have absolutely zero of JW's Philips CDs, but I have several on my eBay watch list, each around $4 or so.  Here's the list I'm considering purchasing, any feedback on these?  Also, how many Philps JW CDs were released?

• The Very Best of the Boston Pops 
  • Salute to Hollywood
  • Salute to America
  • The Dream Goes On
  • Encore!
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • By Request
  • Over the Rainbow
  • Space-Taculars
  • Pops in Space
  • We Wish You a Merry Christmas
  • Aisle Seat
  • Out of This World

5 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

By Request

Start with this.

Space-Taculars

Then this.

We Wish You a Merry Christmas

And this. The rest aren't that important.

2 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Out of This World

This is the only one I own. I really quite like it. Excerpts from 2001: A Space Odyssey, E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Alien, and Return of the Jedi.

On another note, it has my favourite recording of Jabba the Hutt, with Chester Schmitz on the tuba.

2 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Also, how many Philps JW CDs were released?

22 CD, if you count the two Jessye Norman albums and the compilation By Request, which feature some previously unreleased material.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

On 2/22/2019 at 3:44 PM, ATXHusker said:

Here's the list I'm considering purchasing, any feedback on these?

A top 10 of the Philips Albums could look like this:

By Request: The Best of John Williams & the Boston Pops

We Wish You a Merry Christmas

That's Entertainment

Swing, Swing, Swing album cover

Pops in Love

Out of This World

Aisle Seat: Great Film Music

On Stage

Salute to Hollywood

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams decca best planets star wars »

(That's a compilation, but you'll get the album "The Planets" + all the Star Wars recordings)

20 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Bernstein by Boston is also another of my favorites from the Philips recordings.

Completely agree on that one. In fact, that was one of my first introductions to Leonard Bernstein's music beyond West Side Story. I remember being blown away by the opening to Candide, and it just got better after that.

Along the same vein, Pops by George is also very worthy of consideration. As is Pops on the March.

And the first two Spielberg/Williams albums are Pops releases too (Sony for those 2).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

johnwilliamsthebosto_gershwinpopsbygeorge_7u2p-2.jpg

image.jpeg

Hooten premiered the revised first movement in 2016, on an arrangement for band by Paul Lavender, with the The President's Own Marine Band.

The live performance was recorded and released on Mark Records (52618-MCD)

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Hooten premiered the revised first movement in 2016, on an arrangement for band by Paul Lavender, with the The President's Own Marine Band.

The live performance was recorded and released on Mark Records (52618-MCD)

Oh, wow. Surprised Tom did not mention he had played that given he talked about the Nagoya concert. Oh well - I feel bad when we get facts wrong, but when the error is not our fault, not much we can do!

Here's the podcast by the way:

http://www.theindycast.com/the-magic-of-john-williams-42/

Miguel's note made me go look at the Midwest Recordings, and there were actually two from that session. One with the Trumpet Concerto as Miguel noted. There is another one with the Chamber Orchestra part of the President's Own Marine Band that includes the 2014 Music for Brass. I've updated the wiki to include that too.

2016 Midwest Clinic - The 'President's Own' United States Marine Band Chamber Ensembles (Live).jpg

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you the new and improved @Bespin?

Maybe more new to all the editing, but cannot improve on the original!

But I can continue to be obsessive! Realized that Highwood's Ghost can be listed now since it has a commercial recording. Added the Blu-Ray/DVD of the Bernstein concert to the concert works section.

81jom+7DD8L._SL1500_.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 11:10 AM, lairdo said:

Maybe more new to all the editing, but cannot improve on the original!

But I can continue to be obsessive! Realized that Highwood's Ghost can be listed now since it has a commercial recording. Added the Blu-Ray/DVD of the Bernstein concert to the concert works section.

Are you able to code some HTML from existing examples?

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Are you able to code some HTML from existing examples?

Yes, for sure. I know basic HTML and definitely can follow the existing pieces. I still code in AppleScript, so I haven't lost all my skills. But my days of decent C and C++ coding are long gone I fear! But anyway, yes to HTML.

And while on the subject of editing, added a new recording of "To New York (For Lenny! For Lenny!)" to the Wikipedia.

To Make Us Proud: A Leonard Bernstein Tribute by the President's Own US Marine Band.

Digital Booklet_ To Make Us Proud copy.jpg

As Celebrating John Williams is now out and contains the Olympic Fanfare and Theme, I have added it to the wiki page in the concert works section.

celebratingjw.jpg

@lairdo helped me to update the discography, thanks!

On the Blu-Ray page, I added the Bernstein at 100 disc with Highwood's Ghost.
For other works, I added Celebrating John Williams under 2019
Concert works: I added the Leonard Bernstein Tribute with To Lenny! To Lenny! and Hooten Plays Williams

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/index.htm

image.png

9 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

New recording of the Horn Concerto (piano reduction)

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/dafyddbevil

Excellent. Thanks for finding!

I've added it to the Wiki, and I've sent Bespin the updated page for his website.

Here's a YouTube link to the full album if people want to listen. (music from Rota, Broughton, Morricone and Williams)

Hi - I would love input on how to handle the medley piece "John Williams Evening at Pops."

This piece is comprised of a short intro followed by the concert track "We're Looking Good", The Cowboys overture, the Witches Dance from The Witches of Eastwick and then the Olympic Fanfare. That short opening fanfare that opens the piece - I think this is JW's theme for the Evening at Pops PBS show of the same name.

I have this on two albums (so far): The Band of The Life Guards From the Big Screen and The Band of the Royal Corps of Engineers Quality Plus. There are other recordings on YouTube. John Higgins did the arrangement in 1987 from what I could tell (but the sheet music is out of print). Higgins did a number of arrangements of Williams music.

Here's the Quality Plus recording:

So, the question is how to list this in the discography. Both @Bespin's listing and the Wiki Discography have the Quality Plus album and noted as containing "We're Looking Good" (with no mention of the Olympic Fanfare). Neither has the From the Big Screen album from what I could find (but I will fix that later today). 

I think there are four options:

1. Consider the entire suite its own concert work and list it as such (referencing what it includes). However, it's not arranged by Williams although presumably he okayed it.

2. List this for both We're Looking Good and The Olympic Fanfare (with notes that those pieces are in the suite) and maybe Evening at Pops theme (see question below).

3. Only list this for We're Looking Good which matches the current plan and is really the more useful aspect since that has so few commercially available recordings and the Olympic Theme is in many places by itself. Also do the same for Evening at Pops (see blow).

4. List it both ways - it's own concert piece and note that the specific concert works exist in it. (This more impacts the Wiki because Bespin's pages list the albums in the order of release regardless of content.)

Thoughts? I think I lean to 1 or 4. But wanted to solicit ideas and feedback.

And on the question: Is that opening the Evening at Pops theme? If so, I want to add that to the wiki and other places since I am not even sure it's listed under him at all. But as I cannot get 100% confirmation that this is the case, I want to be careful. Anyone know? I've tried to find the openings to the PBS shows on youtube, but the few I found only seem to start with clips of music from that evening's show.

(Yes, I know this is getting down to nitpickiness here. But it's what we do on this thread!)

The opening of the suite (before "We're Lookin' Good") is indeed an original theme Williams wrote for the TV broadcast. So calling it a 'small intro' or 'small opening fanfare' is shortchanging it a bit, I think. :)

List the suite as its own thing, and specify what it contains in a 'box', is my suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

The opening of the suite is not "We're Lookin' Good", but an original theme Williams wrote for the TV broadcast. So calling it a 'small intro' is shortchanging it a bit, I think.

Sorry - I meant small as in length. Have editing my post to short instead. (I noted it proceeds We're Looking Good."

But, more importantly, you are confirming that this is indeed a JW piece Evening at Pops theme? I would love to add it to the wiki as another composition.

3 minutes ago, lairdo said:

But, more importantly, you are confirming that this is indeed a JW piece Evening at Pops theme? I would love to add it to the wiki as another composition.

Yes, it is. The exact date of composition, however, remains rather obscure. It's the 80s, but could be anywhere from right after he took over the Pops, untill the late 80s at the latest. Perhaps others can specify (the question has been posed before).

I edited my post above, as I read your post a little too quickly (sorry about that). I suggest you go for option 1, of the ones you listed.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, it is. The exact date of composition, however, remains rather obscure. It's the 80s, but could be anywhere from right after he took over the Pops, untill the late 80s at the latest. Perhaps others can specify (the question has been posed before).

Excellent. Thanks. I tried to find a reference in the threads, but I did not search hard enough I guess.

Update - and apologies if this has been found already. I went to the US Copyright Office database. Evening at Pops: T.V. Theme is listed as being created in 1981. So, it seems that is the date we should probably use to list it.

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=18&ti=1,18&Search_Arg=evening at pops&Search_Code=TALL&CNT=25&PID=9k6ZLAWqd8b9h7OZyMDJ9X4SAL&SEQ=20190324201814&SID=1

I edited my post above. I suggest you go for option 1, of the ones you listed.

Thanks. Let's see if that resonates. Makes sense.

I agree I can add a mention that it’s a medley in the disco. Honestly, it’s a very weird medley.