Bespin

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have no idea.

Ok, I started to make some search on Screen Archives by example, there's a lot of titles.

I was not familiar with Jerry Goldsmith's work... I'm counting quickly on his wiki page more than 150 film soundtrack albums... Impressive! I think it beats John Williams.

Obviously, many JW scores have to be expanded yet.

Yes, Goldsmith has done more films than JW. But JW is still alive, and has the chance to overtake him if he ups his game! 

Many Goldsmith's scores seems to have been released by specialized labels, so often few or many years after the release of the movies.

Is the majority of his scores where previously unreleased?

Well Williams had the 15 year Boston Pops tenure that greatly limited his film score output and then 10 years after that he mostly retired in general.  I don't see him catching up Goldsmith any time soon.

I have no idea. I would guess the majority of Goldsmith's film titles have had regular, commercial soundtracks (first).

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Is the majority of his scores where previously unreleased?

No.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well Williams had the 15 year Boston Pops tenure that greatly limited his film score output and then 10 years after that he mostly retired in general.  I don't see him catching up Goldsmith any time soon.

Good point.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

No.

Ok so he always released albums containing his scores (a little bit like Williams), even in the sixties and seventies.

Ok I see that on Discogs. Many LPs...

It's a shame that nobody seems to have created a website for his original discography.

Certainly. As others have said, he had no equivalent to Boston Pops. Nor was he as active as a sessions musician and arranger as JW back in the day. His concert music output is also fairly limited. But he was on JW's level when it came to TV score output, I believe.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

On another hand, his recording career never was as successfull as Williams's. He has no certifications in the USA (https://www.riaa.com).

You are not telling us anything we don't know.

He's a great composer though; Sample some of his works on Spotify!

A new album to be released May 19th and containin new recordings of Hymn to New England and American Journey.

019688121921.jpg

Journeys / Lang, United States Air Force Band

39 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The Air Force Band has been recording a few Williams pieces lately... :)

Slowly but surely... perhaps a compilation one day? :-)

p_50322mcd.jpg

2012 Midwest Clinic (2013, Mark Records, 50322-MCD; US Air Force Band Chamber Ens.)

John Williams: Fanfare for Fenway.

p_8573405.jpg

Air Force Blue (2015, Naxos, 8573405; US Air Force Band/Lang, US Air Force Singing Sergeants)

John Williams: Call of the Champions.

p_k11210.jpg

American Voices (2016, Klavier, K 11210; The US Air Force Concert Band/Lang)

John Williams: "For 'The President's Own'".

I fixed the collaborations with James Darren:

With James Darren
1959 I Ain't Sharin' Sharon / Love Among The Young Colpix Records CP 128
1959 Teenage Tears / Let There Be Love Colpix Records CP 130
1963 Pin A Medal On Joey / Diamond Head Colpix Records CP 672

p_CP406.jpg

Album No. 1 (1959, Colpix Records, CP 406)

Music arranged and conducted by Johnny Williams: Let's Fall In Love, Let There Be Love, The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else, Love Among The Young.

• 2 weeks later...

LP reissue of Raiders added to the websites.

p_cre3100202.jpg

Raiders of the Lost Ark [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1981) (2008, Concord Records, CRE-31002-02; London SO/Williams)

In The Jungle; The Idol Temple; Escape From The Temple; Flight From Peru; Washington Men / Indy's Home*; A Thought For Marion / To Nepal; The Medallion; Flight To Cairo; The Basket Game; Bad Dates*; The Map Room: Dawn; Reunion In The Tent / Searching For The Well; The Well Of The Souls; Indy Rides The Statue*; The Fist Fight / The Flying Wing; Desert Chase; Marion's Theme / The Crate; The German Sub; Ride To The Nazi Hideout; Indy Follows The Ark; The Miracle Of The Ark; Washington Ending & Raiders March. *Previously unreleased on CD.

p_0000342.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Concord Records, 0000342)

New addition to the discography as a composer page:

p_cd1004.jpg

Inventions (2017, GIA WindWorks, CD-1004; North Texas Wind Symphony/Corporon)

John Williams: For the President's Own.

BTW, did you know that you can sort the concert works by "Released Year" in the Wiki article?

Sans-titre-1.jpg

The new and first (!) commercially recorded version of Stargazers, for harp and orchestra has been added to the "Concert works" section of the wiki discography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Concert_works

EDIT: Added to the website too --> http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/concert.htm

I just saw a re-edition (with bonuses) of Guns of Navarone (1961) on the Soundtrack factory Label.

Any one heard of it?

If my disco is right, a young Johnny Williams made the arrangements of this score (the song only?) and he also played the piano on it (TBC), but he's uncredited (still today!!!).

149998.jpg

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/73512/dimitri-tiomkin/the-guns-of-navarone-original-soundtrack

47 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Bootleg...

Ah oops :-) I should have guessed by the beautiful cover!

Nice, I will document that tomorrow on my websites!

Does he play the piano on the album score?

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I don't recall ever reading about Williams being the pianist on Guns of Navarrone. Wasn't that recorded in London?

@Thor ?

If Williams doesn't play the piano (or harpsichord?) on it, I will be pleased to remove the entry from my "perfomer" discography!

Just double checked my CBS Records release of the original soundtrack and it credits the LSO. It's very unlikely that Williams would be the player on the score. Unless he was on the orchestra that accompanied the Mitch Miller Singers for the song.

On 19/05/2017 at 7:10 PM, Bespin said:

I just saw a re-edition (with bonuses) of Guns of Navarone (1961) on the Soundtrack factory Label.

Any one heard of it?

If my disco is right, a young Johnny Williams made the arrangements of this score and he also played the piano on it, but he's uncredited (still today!!!).

149998.jpg

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/73512/dimitri-tiomkin/the-guns-of-navarone-original-soundtrack

Thanks for this, Bes. I've got the Tadlow, but not the OST. I'll look out for it.

BTW, just in case people can't afford the $100-plus set, Soundtrack Factory has also released a 2-disc SPARTACUS.

There's also a nifty complete

(I think) DR. NO. 

On 21.5.2017 at 3:07 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

Just double checked my CBS Records release of the original soundtrack and it credits the LSO. It's very unlikely that Williams would be the player on the score. Unless he was on the orchestra that accompanied the Mitch Miller Singers for the song.

I was under the assumption he BOTH did piano and orchestration on it.

I would then be pleased to remove Guns of Navarone of my discography "as a performer". :-)

Done, It only remains in " the "arranger" page.

Three vinyl reissues added to the website:

p_sk60271.jpg

Seven Years In Tibet [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1997, Sony Music/Mandalay Records, SK 60271; Ma, Gyuto Monks, Williams)

Seven Years In Tibet; Young Dalai Lama And Ceremonial Chant; Leaving Ingrid; Peter's Rescue; Harrer's Journey; The Invasion; Reflections; Premonitions; Approaching The Summit; Palace Invitation; Heinrich's Odyssey; Quiet Moments; Regaining A Son; Seven Years In Tibet (Reprise).

p_MOVATM086.jpg

(Reissued in 2016 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVATM086)

p_88725446852.jpg

Lincoln [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2012, Sony Classical, 88725446852; Chicago SO/Williams, Chicago S Ch.)

The People's House; The Purpose Of The Amendment; Getting Out The Vote; The American Process; The Blue And Grey; "With Malice Toward None"; Call To Muster And Battle Cry Of Freedom; The Southern Delegation And The Dream; Father And Son; The Race To The House; Equality Under The Law; Freedom's Call; Elegy; Remembering Willie; Appomattox - April 9, 1865; The Peterson House And Finale; "With Malice Toward None" (Piano Solo).

p_MOVATM156.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVATM156)

With Yo-Yo Ma

p_89670.jpg

Yo-Yo Ma Plays The Music Of John Williams (2002, Sony Classical, 89670; Ma, Recording Arts O of LA/Williams)

Concerto for Cello; Elegy for Cello and Orchestra; Heartwood; Three Pieces for Solo Cello.

(Reissued in 2012, Sony Classical, 756145, Remastered)

(Reissued in 2016 as a SACD, Sony Classical, SS 89670)

p_MOVCL033.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVCL033)

I've scanned the Hal Leonard Signature Editions scores listed on their website and updated the "ARRANGEMENTS & ORCHESTRATIONS" page of my website.

I made several discoveries.

Many yet unrecorded reductions for solo instrument and piano... and an orchestral version of "Air and Simple Gift" (that I never heard).

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/arranger/index.htm

The new Lockhart concert has been documented in my website, as a "Special Tribute" (a section at the end of the Concerts page).

Lights! Camera! Music! The Magic of John Williams / Lockhart, BPO (Symphony Hall, Boston, MA, 2017-05-16)

March from Superman; Main Title from Heidi; Main Title from Towering Inferno; Devil's Dance from The Witches of Eastwick; Stargazers, from E.T. (The Extraterrestrial); Concerto for Tuba 3rd movement, Allegro Molto; Flight to Neverland from Hook; Selections from Harry Potter: Aunt Marge's Waltz, Harry's Wondrous World; Theme from The Patriot*; Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark; Main Title from Goodbye, Mr. Chips; Viktor's Tale from The Terminal; Suite from The BFG; Princess Leia's Theme from Star Wars; Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars; Stars And Stripes Forever (Sousa); Selections from The Force Awakens*: March of the Resistance, Rey's Theme, Scherzo for X-Wings. *Excerpts from the "Lights! Camera! Music! The Magic of John Williams" album. Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2017).

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/concerts.htm

• 1 month later...

Am I correct saying that 1990 Presumed Innocent was the last score of John Williams released on LP?

This would make the first score released only on CD to be... 1990 Home Alone!

Just now, Stefancos said:

Didn't Home Alone get a cassette release?

Don't ever say this word here.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

According to Discogs, Home Alone got an LP release in South Korea only.

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Home-Alone/release/5176167

South Korea...  Well, okay, it seems to be legit and contains all the material, so John Williams still created a LP-length program for this one.

Let's see the following score... 1991 Hook?

South Korea again in 1992...

JFK too... a LP in Germany.... ok.

So it would be... 1992 Far and Away? I don't find any LP release for this one.

We discussed this awhile back. HOOK seems to be the last one on LP. As Bespin said, JFK only got an LP release in Germany. FAR & AWAY had no LP release. JURASSIC PARK got a specialty release, but that doesn't count.

Stefancos is correct. I remember seeing him say the exact same thing that Miguel said few hours before.