New Williams Work: "Just Down West Street… on the left" - Tanglewood Music Center 75th Anniversary commission

Tom

Looking forward to it..

Also cool that "For Sejii!" is finally making the rounds in concerts. Now it just needs a proper recording & release (although I'm pleased with my Pacific Symphony boot from last year).

"Tributes" has been widely played.

Over the years, yes. But seems to have a resurgence recently. Strange that no official recording exists at this point.

As for the new work, that is excellent news. I noticed the program lists an unnamed guest performer. I wonder if the piece will feature a soloist. I remain convinced the scherzo for piano and orchestra is the third movement of a new concerto. This would be a cool place to premiere it.

I realize no one may know, but does anyone know when we can expect to learn the name of the piece? I hate mysteries and I hate waiting^. I want a recording yesterday!

Looking at the concert programs, it seems that the new Williams's work is longer in nature--otherwise they would be short concerts (particularly the Tanglewood on parade). I think there is good chance that this work is the reason Williams could not do BOS (along with the hiccup in health). Perhaps I am getting too old, but I prefer a longer concert work to a new (non-Star Wars) film score.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to make sure this was on everyone's radar - coming up at Tanglewood in July from Mr. Williams - is anyone planning on attending?

http://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/69844

http://www.bso.org/brands/tanglewood/features/2015-tanglewood-season/tanglewood-music-center-75th-anniversary/tmc75-commissions.aspx/MobileContentPage

I'm attending the August performance that Williams is supposed to be at; Looks like he won't be there at this July premiere?

What an odd title. And no trees anywhere in sight! But sounds intriguing nonetheless. Bring forth the recordings!

Williams seems as busy as ever. Excellent! :)

Great news. I wonder if this is a relatively short overture-type piece or something longer and more organic. The title would suggest the former, but who knows. Amazing he was able to fit this too into his busy schedule.

Looks like he won't be there at this July premiere?

It seems this year JW won't spend his usual summertime in the Berkshires, yeah. Looks like that small space movie coming out in December prevents him of leaving LA :)

This could be something lovely. Tanglewood is a very atmospheric place, lending itself to musical tribute.

And as we all know Johnny loves the sylvan atmosphere of the place. :)

Great news. I wonder if this is a relatively short overture-type piece or something longer and more organic. The title would suggest the former, but who knows. Amazing he was able to fit this too into his busy schedule.

I am hoping for a longer form piece although as you say the occasion might call something short and celebratory.

I think it will be a longer form piece that gives various members of the orchestra a chance to shine.

That would be ideal. I know how much JW loves Tanglewood and the BSO and knows many of them so it would be a great chance to give them a sort of gift by writing for them personally. :)

It seems this year JW won't spend his usual summertime in the Berkshires, yeah. Looks like that small space movie coming out in December prevents him of leaving LA :)

You're forgetting his annual Film Night at Tanglewood on August 22. He hasn't cancelled that one... yet ;)

The full title is: Just down West Street, turn right, go up 2 blocks, turn left,walk to the third house,turn left again , down the steps, up the alley..

You're forgetting his annual Film Night at Tanglewood on August 22. He hasn't cancelled that one... yet ;)

You're right, but given the staggered schedule on Ep7, I guess it'll be a quick stop and then he'll be back to LA shortly thereafter.

• 1 month later...

I doubt this concert will be broadcasted, but the piece is supposed to be performed at the Tanglewood on parade concert, which will be.

Having passed the milestone of 83, John Williams knows a big anniversary when he sees one.

"Just Down West Street on the left" is the many-prize-winning film composer's birthday present to the Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra on its 75th. The five-minute sparkler, premiered Sunday night in the student orchestra's opening concert of the anniversary season, is also a love song to his cherished Tanglewood. (The title contains driving instructions, in case you need them.)

"Just Down West Street" opens with fanfares and quickly becomes a mini-concerto for orchestra, giving everybody a chance to join in the bustle and brilliance. Faculty conductor Stefan Asbury presided with the sure hand that, every year, whips this assemblage into shape.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/entertainment/ci_28440169/at-tanglewood-themes-variations-and-gift-from-john

Cool! I wish this had been recorded by someone.

More reviews:

The piece telegraphs its genial nature through its title alone — “JUST DOWN WEST STREET . . . on the left” — in other words, directions to Tanglewood from the center of Lenox. The brief piece itself, too, has something of a welcome-to-town bearing in its bright hues and bustling, motoric churn. At the outset, jagged brass fanfares give way to a scurrying theme passed around the strings, who then take up a slightly darker Shostakovichian melody offset by burbling woodwinds, and later, vivid splashes of percussion. The ending is emphatic and effective.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2015/07/07/tanglewood-music-center-celebrates-anniversary/7IKisiIv8eJQOHcoJPMWiJ/story.html

A significant novelty opened the second half: a work composed by John Williams as a gift to the Tanglewood Music Center and the orchestra on this 75th anniversary. It is a short, vibrant, busy orchestral score—calling it a “scherzo” would not be amiss—with a title invented as a counterpart to the old joke: “How can I get to Carnegie Hall?” “Practice, practice, practice!” In the new piece the question seems to be, “How can I get to Tanglewood from downtown Lenox?” and the answer is, “Just Down West Street—on the left.”

In his own note Williams wrote of “…this little piece from which, I hope, the players of the TMC Orchestra might derive some small pleasure.” That pleasure certainly involves the lively interplay of tricky fanfares, busy 16th-note figures in the strings, later elements added by woodwinds against strings, building to a sonorous climax leading to a gulp-inducing sudden ending. It is a virtuoso showpiece that kept Stefan Asbury and the players busy and intent to enthusiastic purpose.

http://www.classical-scene.com/2015/07/08/tmco-75/

Usually, at least ONE audience member manages to make a sneak recording. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. Or perhaps it's too soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I just checked their website. It does not look like they will be broadcasting the concert. I guess I was wrong above.

Hopefully, the piece will be performed at Film night and that concert will be broadcast.

are you just messing with me? Obviously "film night" is really just "mostly-Williams music" night. He usually throws in a concert fanfare work here and there, such as sound the bells or fanfare for fenway.

Film Night is not scheduled to broadcast on WCRB. And it's unlikely that a more "demanding" (as in less accessible) work as "Just down west street... to the left" to be included in Film Night... though it's an amazing piece all the same :)

That's really sad. Was really eager to listen to this piece. So Miguel, you apperantly heard it, can you tell us something about it?

Sounds like the perfect John Williams celebratory piece for Tanglewood! I love these little "miniature concertos for orchestra" he seems to enjoy writing. It's such a fun way of approaching and presenting the orchestra, and a form Williams has cultivated to such a level of elegance and finesse. Hope to get to hear this soon!