The Force Awakens Score Details

Not Mr. Big

I believe it will be a top-notch score that will reward both the casual fan and JWfan fanatic, but I am not expecting a masterpiece (like ROTJ).

Corrected.

I stand corrected (ROTJ is a great score).

I fully expect this score to be the score to end all scores!

Here's a short report I was sent, originated from a 100% reliable source (someone working at Disney) which would like to remain anonymous:

"I did go to one of the sessions in June and it was beyond anything I have experienced musically in my life. It was a true "full circle" moment. This man has done more to introduce people to music than anyone on the planet. And here was a room full of us, all with our own Star Wars music story, being part of this historic recording session. I still can't believe how lucky I was to be there for that one session."

At the moment where half of the themes will be taken from previous movies, well it can't sound different than... Star Wars!

Great news, thanks for the report Ricard!

Don't let you wear down by posts like the last three here from Crumbs, Bespin and BB who had nothing better to reply than sarcastic non comments in response to big and fantastic news like this.

It's such a bummer to nowadays have to read through all these bollock and totally unfunny non posts littered around every thread and making it difficult to discuss or even find serious quality discussions.

Nevertheless there are still those who are positive and get gossebumps looking forward to this magical event of a new and seemingly fantastic JW Starwars score.

Ricard post it on the main page and a few posts up in this thread, another report about an additional recording session on june 25 which is described as "beyond anything I have experienced musically in my life".

It also means that there were already at minimum 6 session days, probably more ( first 5 days in june, june 25,...). There are probably around 12 minutes recorded on average per day which means most of the score is already in the can :)

So the fact that someone was at one of the sessions and enjoyed it is big and fantastic news, and anyone who doesn't respond to it with grave seriousness and nostalgic fainting should be criticized for their useless posts?

It would have been nice if the person explained why it was "beyond anything I have experienced musically in my life." Although, I kind of understand why. His or her job may be at stake if he or she revealed too much information. Even if the music wasn't good, I would have been honored and excited to be at Star Wars recording session and with Williams present no less!

So the fact that someone was at one of the sessions and enjoyed it is big and fantastic news, and anyone who doesn't respond to it with grave seriousness and nostalgic fainting should be criticized for their useless posts?

Eew.

Oooh, guns, guns, guns!!! :lol:

Pil has a point. I mean, the score might be the biggest pile of Bantha poo-doo ever heard (but I doubt it).

Even so: a healthy debate about an upcoming score is fine, but let's not get carried away. In the big scheme of things, it is only a film score that JW was never expecting, nor contemplating, writing.

If Ricard enjoyed it, then he enjoyed it, and more power to his elbow for it. I will reserve judgement until on, or around, the 15th December.

It would have been nice if the person explained why it was "beyond anything I have experienced musically in my life." Although, I kind of understand why. His or her job may be at stake if he or she revealed too much information. Even if the music wasn't good, I would have been honored and excited to be at Star Wars recording session and with Williams present no less!

I kind of know what Ricard means. Seeing/hearing JW conduct at The Barbican in 1998, was (with one exception) the most overwhelming, and supreme concert-going experience of my entire life. To hear brand new JW music for the first time must be almost too much to bear.

If Ricard enjoyed it, then he enjoyed it, and more power to his elbow for it.

Those weren't my words, I was quoting someone who attended the scoring session.

BTW that person has been worked with Williams for a number of years now.

What I'm curious to know right now is if the "new" music in the Korean teaser is Williams' or not. If so, is the music from the soundtrack or music he wrote to be used in a trailer?

Thanks for the scoop Ricard, especially with the relative dry-spell regarding news about the score. So was the music "beyond anything he has ever experienced" or was it the experience of attending the session? I wish they would give more specific details, like how it ranks with the other scores.

Thanks for the scoop Ricard, especially with the relative dry-spell regarding news about the score. So was the music "beyond anything he has ever experienced" or was it the experience of attending the session? I wish they would give more specific details, like how it ranks with the other scores.

I assume the person commenting meant the whole experience of attending the sessions, which would probably be a highlight of anyone's music life. And perhaps this person could not give more details or make such far flung analysis on the quality of the music to rank it with the other SW scores yet.

I hope we get some hyper-critical reports dismissing Williams's work as outdated gasp of neoclassical old Hollywood drivel that is entirely devoid of invention and innovation and thus deserves a quick oblivion for not re-inventing the whole genre by using postmodern techniques more in tune with the times and latest technological developments in the sound design and manipulation.

Because that is how good PR is done!

Postmodern techniques are like 50 years old! Give them an eternal rest.

Karol

There will always be post-postmodern techniques to use! I am all in favour of scoring the film by hitting the snare drum with a dead squirrel while screaming off the top of your lungs and having 10-15 grunters moaning behind you and a sailor swearing in gaelic to top it off while also playing a kazoo without the mouthpiece! That's innovation!

• 1 month later...

Since it's been a relative dry-spell regarding score news, I've decided to post this completely unbacked up, but reasonably probable IMDB quote about the score, via a user with 10 years experience (meaning it's probably not a 100% troll)

(No actual spoilers or anything, I just want to keep the post small just in case it's a phony.

You can choose to believe me or not, but I work in the industry and am well aware of the scoring sessions that happened for this film.

I can tell you, without a shred of hesitation that from what I, myself, have heard, and from what my friends who were there for the whole session heard, it may actually be the best Star Wars music ever written by Williams, and if not the best, close to it.

This is a group of friends who do not mince words about scores, and tend to be jaded about them since we work in the business. If we hear something we think sounds weak, we say it. Williams knocked it out of the park.

And for anyone worried about him when hearing the news about all of his "health issues," those health issues were an aggravated back. Not life threatening, but also not good for sitting at a piano for 8 hours a day, or conducting a huge orchestra for mega studio sessions. That's why he sat some of the RECORDING (he wrote the music) of Star Wars out, and why Spielberg had Thomas Newman score his new film.

The only thing that will prevent Williams from returning on Episode 8 will be time vs. health. We can only hope that he keeps going. Williams' mom lived to be quite old, if I'm not mistaken...

Some others may have different opinions when they hear it (as other people are allowed to have!) but coming from 4 professional composers all working out here who grew up on Star Wars, we think it's the best one yet!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/board/thread/248936324

The fact that someone says TFA may be the best Star Wars score makes me wonder if they've even listened to ESB and SW (or ROTJ for that matter). I have no doubt TFA is going to be an amazing score regardless, but I'd very surprised if Williams could top the themes he created for the OT, specifically those in ESB (Imperial March, Yoda's theme, Han (Love) theme, etc.).

The fact that someone says TFA may be the best Star Wars score makes me wonder if they've even listened to ESB and SW (or ROTJ for that matter). I have no doubt TFA is going to be an amazing score regardless, but I'd very surprised if Williams could top the themes he created for the OT, specifically those in ESB (Imperial March, Yoda's theme, Han (Love) theme, etc.).

It's not too far out of the question. I've seen many people list ROTS as their favorite Star Wars score.

It's not too far out of the question. I've seen many people list ROTS as their favorite Star Wars score.

True, but having a favorite isn't indicative of quality. Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy movie, but I recognize that it isn't the best of the series. It's all subjective, I suppose.

We need some centralized thread here that details the general consensus of the forum regarding scores. For example, I absolutely love both of the scores to ROTS and Nemesis but it'd be nice to be able to check that with the general consensus of the forum to know whether my opinion is wrong or not.

Since it's been a relative dry-spell regarding score news, I've decided to post this completely unbacked up, but reasonably probable IMDB quote about the score, via a user with 10 years experience (meaning it's probably not a 100% troll)

You can choose to believe me or not...

Always trust completely anyone who begins their statement with "you can choose to believe me or not."

You can choose to believe me or not, but I work in the industry and am well aware of the scoring sessions that happened for this film.

I can tell you, without a shred of hesitation that from what I, myself, have heard, and from what my friends who were there for the whole session heard, it may actually be the best Star Wars music ever written by Williams, and if not the best, close to it.

Some others may have different opinions when they hear it (as other people are allowed to have!) but coming from 4 professional composers all working out here who grew up on Star Wars, we think it's the best one yet,

vlcsnap_2015_10_04_10h23m58s67.png

Oh shit.

Imagine it was true. I can't comprehend how it could be, but still. If this mission fully develops, I get white knuckles thinking about what might be ahead for those folks.

Why has Star Wars always been prone to fabricated news updates? I've never known another franchise that suffers from such a huge amount of fan generated misinformation and bogus updates in the lead up to a new film.

It could be that these people who have supposedly heard and are raving over the score are just used to such utter crap being recorded for modern films that an average or autopilot Williams score sounds incredible.

It could be that these people who have supposedly heard and are raving over the score are just used to such utter crap being recorded for modern films that an average or autopilot Williams score sounds incredible.

Ha! :D

With unversatile LA musicians, no less! Maybe Williams squeezed some versatility out of them, and that's why this score is so impressive?