John Debney's CutThroat Island - new LLL 2CD by Matessino & Bulk coming July 5 2016

Jay

From John Debney's Facebook page:

Big news coming soon....

and

A young man wrote this score 20 years ago. So many memories of this one. Hearing the theme for the first time with the incredible LSO. Kurt playing 8 tympani on the end credits. My first score with my brilliant friend Simon... The letter from the orchestra. The one I've been trying to find for years now. The weeks in London. Geena Davis singing in the choir. As though yesterday...

https://www.facebook.com/john.debney.75/posts/10206830288458437

A sequel!

Return To Cutthroat Island

The Ship That Sank - Return to the Wreck

That's the Titanic 2 title!

After Jurassic World that is possible!

Anyway it would be great if they resurrected Debney's music in concert form with the LSO. :)

Titanic 2 will be a reboot of sorts that might ignore some events from the previous film. The ship has been steaming across the ocean for a while now, but with bigger and more luxurious ships being built all the time, the passenger count is down (apparently, you can now be blasé about Titanic). But when a new on-board attraction spins out of control, a brand new cast of characters (and some old, familiar faces) will have to find a way to survive.

Oh, and did I mention it's set in... THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE?

What's weird about this piece of news is that it might most likely mean a re-reissue.

But... both previous albums are in print.

Karol

What's weird about this piece of news is that it might most likely mean a re-reissue.

But... both previous albums are in print.

Karol

Yeah. What more is there to release? The Prometheus version seems just about as complete as I need this score to be.

Cutthroat Opera.

I can see it now: An Aria for Sore Cutthroats.

Another entry in the Omni Music Publishing catalogue? Just guessing.

Ooh, that is likely!

Karol

Could well be. :)

• 11 months later...
16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is the complete set of this score OOP?

Does not appear to be

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/4246/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M04972/cutthroatisland-exp/

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4161/.f

Will this be some kind of even more complete set than what we have now?

7 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Will this be some kind of even more complete set than what we have now?

Probably won't have any additional music unless there's some alternates or something that weren't on the old set.  Could have different sound quality though if sourced from an earlier generation master and/or mastered differently.

I had no complaints about either.

The Expanded did oddly include that completely unrelated "Wedding Waltz" track in the main program for some reason (I think it was written for Geena Davis and Reny Harlin's wedding?)

The expanded edition is definitely not entirely complete.

I think there was a bit of choir missing from "Dawg's Plan".

And definitely "Discovery of the Cave" was longer in the film.

It's been a while since I watched the movie; I should probably watch it again because I do like it.

And the music is some of the best every written.

Certainly when it comes to seafaring stuff and I do have a massive soft spot for anything sea-related.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Both the OST and the expanded release sound amazing. I can't imagine a new version sounding any better.

Then why do I keep hearing complaints about the Prometheus' sound?

8 hours ago, amh1219 said:

Then why do I keep hearing complaints about the Prometheus' sound?

What complaints?

Karol - not sure if he needs to buy this for the third time

It does feature the most essential bits. There isn't much more memorable material that was missing from Silva Screen disc.

Karol

The original 1 disc release was very well done and I can hardly imagine fitting a better album on a single disc.

There was still a lot of great stuff left of though; the complete Battle sequence must for example be the longest continously awesome track I've ever had the pleasure of listening to!

All the good stuff from Cutthroat Island simply does not fit on 1 disc.

The only thing I've ever heard about the sound quality of Cutthroat Island is that it is very, very good.

The OST was already very good and the extended version is at least equally good.

Can't think of any complaints on that one.

The only thing I really remember the Prometheus set missing was a VERY brief moment that happens right before the actual end credits start. Both the original album and the Prometheus album omit it, but you can hear it in the film. It isn't much, but I hope this new set includes it somewhere.

Also, in part of the complete final battle cue, from around 11:55 to 13:16, there is a section of choir that I believe is not in the film version of that section. It does sound better with it, but it would be nice to have a choirless film alternate somewhere.

Otherwise, I can't recall anything else really different or missing.

The Wedding Waltz is beautiful. And it does end with the Cutthroat Island main theme so does belong on the album somewhere.

From what I understand, nothing is known about its actual purpose.

Maybe their wedding anniversary, because I don't think they married during the making of Cutthroat Island.

While that piece of music most definitely is related to the film, since the main theme is quoted at the very end.

I think that is the most plausible explanation, but I don't remember ever hearing anything officially stated.

MV let us know that its La-La Land releasing it, with the best possible team working on it

Matessino and Bulk are working on it. Bond is doing the notes that will include new interviews with Mr. Debney and Mr. Harlin. Jim Titus is doing the artwork. 

It's one of my favorite scores and we got vinyl, digital and cd rights. The previous releases were great (especially the Prometheus) but we thought we can add even more coolness to the project by having the fine folks mentioned above do their own take on the material.

We are aiming for June 21.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110387&forumID=1&archive=0

Well that is exciting news, for me anyway. I do hope they include those couple of bits I noticed missing from that set, then. And the new liner notes will be greatly appreciated. The Prometheus edition was a little lacking in that department, and the layout had a lot to be desired.

6 hours ago, scallenger said:

I do hope they include those couple of bits I noticed missing from that set, then. 

There's no way Matessino and Bulk will leave anything out.