Williams' The Lost World OST CD has gone Out Of Print

Jay

Well this is interesting. The OST to The Lost World has been in print ever since it came out, always in its original "dinorama" packaging.

Well just recently, its finally gone out of print!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000002P6K/

People are selling sealed copies for $15 on the Amazon Market and prices will only go up from there!

How ODD that now, of all times, with a new film in theaters, Universal decides to take it out of print!

They also took JP and TLW off of Spotify recently, which is annoying.

What is Universal thinking?

And on top of all this, they won't even let a specialty label issued expanded versions of either score. Boo to Universal!

Yes now that the new dino boom is on it is the soundest strategy to OOP such merchandise.

Note that it was reissued for digital download in 2012 by Geffen.

Yes, Geffen is selling the OST in mp3 format for $6:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A441FRO/jwfancom-20

but sadly the physical CD is officially OOP.
Sometimes an OST going OOP gives me hope that an expanded release is forthcoming, but I can't imagine that's the case here.

Since Universal expanded Jurassic Park themselves in 2013 overseen by Bouzereau, why would they suddently let a specialty label do The Lost World 2 years later?

I'm not saying it will happen, just that I can see it sooner than the first one. Why? Because The Lost World, aside from small core fanbase, isn't as hot of a title.

Karol

Maybe it'll happen like Intrada with that other Universal/Spielberg series, and go in reverse order

Jurassic Park 3, then The Lost World... then the original?

I really hope Intrada continues re-issuing the JAWS scores as well!

Maybe it will be them that will get to do all the Jurassic Parks, if Spielberg likes how they handled the Jaws series?

Well, if they were going to take advantage of a situation, now would obviously have been the best time. Shame they don't appear to be trying to capitalize on this. With the other recent news regarding the higher online traffic of digital downloads for the main theme from the first score, you would think a nice limited release of expanded editions would be gobbled up by collectors

I really hope Intrada continues re-issuing the JAWS scores as well!

Maybe it will be them that will get to do all the Jurassic Parks, if Spielberg likes how they handled the Jaws series?

If Spielberg and Williams are happy how things are turning out with LLL, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do the same with Intrada. Which has a good working relationship with both Universal and Disney. They seem like a legit business. So here's hoping :)

Karol

As always hoping for the best, fearing for the worst!

I hate that stupid cardboard cover it came in. And was it the first Spielberg/Williams collaboration where Steven didn't put a note about the music in the release?

No. Neither Always nor Empire of the Sun had liner or gush notes from Spielberg.

The corporate big wigs probably did that because they think the public would be confused and not buy the Jurassic World soundtrack.

That's a possibility, actually!

Maybe after the hoopla of the new movie dies down, they'll reissue it in a jewel case with a bonus track. Dialogue version of the theme, of course.

That's a possibility, actually!

Maybe after the hoopla of the new movie dies down, they'll reissue it in a jewel case with a bonus track. Dialogue version of the theme, of course.

Dance remix by DJ Tiesto! And fold out poster plus some dino-stickers.

Animated screensavers! Holy fuck!

I still remember how they put a second disc on the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets releases where there were a bunch of trailers in different languages. I wish TLW would have something like that as the second disc. Who needs more music?!!!

It'd be interesting if they did re-issue this like they did for JP, with bonus tracks on a second disc.

If the first disc was the same old OST, the second disc could look something like

01 Fire At Camp (1:05)

02 Corporate Choppers (2:24)

03 Big Feet (1:34)

04 Spilling Petrol (3:42)

05 Horning In (1:26)

06 Up In A Basket (Part I) (2:58)

07 Up In A Basket (Part II) (2:30)

08 Pain Of Glass (3:58)

09 Truck Stop (Expanded) (5:05)

10 Reading The Map (3:02)

11 Rialto Ripples (Expanded) (5:46)

12 High Bar And Ceiling Tiles (4:14)

13 Ludlow's Speech (2:54)

14 Monster On The Loose (2:29)

15 The Saving Dart (Expanded) (3:00)

16 The Lost World (Alternate Opening) (3:33)

Animated screensavers! Holy fuck!

I still remember how they put a second disc on the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets releases where there were a bunch of trailers in different languages. I wish TLW would have something like that as the second disc. Who needs more music?!!!

As long as it contains out of order track listing then I'm all for it! :)

(Now, WTF was this trend all about? Who came up with this one? I want to meet them!)

Karol

The original Jurassic Park is still on Spotify over here. The Lost World hasn't been on it in the year or so that I've been using it though.

Couldn't find a new physical copy of TLW anywhere last summer so got a very good 2nd hand copy. Would love an expanded version though.

Mind-numbing short-sightedness on Universal's part for the biggest film opening of the year, not dissimilar to Disney and Sony not issuing remastered and expanded OT and PT trilogy scores to celebrate JW doing TFA.

You'd think any idiot would want to capitalise on the good publicity with any number of tie-in merchandise, but.. no.

It'd be interesting if they did re-issue this like they did for JP, with bonus tracks on a second disc.

If the first disc was the same old OST, the second disc could look something like

01 Fire At Camp (1:05)

02 Corporate Choppers (2:24)

03 Big Feet (1:34)

04 Spilling Petrol (3:42)

05 Horning In (1:26)

06 Up In A Basket (Part I) (2:58)

07 Up In A Basket (Part II) (2:30)

08 Pain Of Glass (3:58)

09 Truck Stop (Expanded) (5:05)

10 Reading The Map (3:02)

11 Rialto Ripples (Expanded) (5:46)

12 High Bar And Ceiling Tiles (4:14)

13 Ludlow's Speech (2:54)

14 Monster On The Loose (2:29)

15 The Saving Dart (Expanded) (3:00)

16 The Lost World (Alternate Opening) (3:33)

Well that is much more than we can expect from Universal.

I really hope LLL or Intrada get to do these score releases right in the near future.

Mind-numbing short-sightedness on Universal's part for the biggest film opening of the year, not dissimilar to Disney and Sony not issuing remastered and expanded OT and PT trilogy scores to celebrate JW doing TFA.

You'd think any idiot would want to capitalise on the good publicity with any number of tie-in merchandise, but.. no.

To us it makes sense, because we like film music. But look at it purely from a business perspective. Releasing movie soundtracks won't make you nearly as much money as toys. That's real merchandising.

Yeah income from a few thousand units of a soundtrack album are nothing compared with the big bucks from other merchandising cash flows.

Hasn't this been out of print for a while? At least, in the UK, it's been out of print with people asking upwards of £50 for it for some time.

Curious. Perhaps there's a reissue coming in the future?

Geffen Records seems to be the new division of Universal for soundtracks.

And they really seems to be into vinyls and digital downloads for the moment (at least concerning JW soundtracks).

I don't think we can expect any CD reissue of Lost World untill 2017.

Ironically I bought a used copy of TLW a few years ago from a local second hand CD store because I wanted a spare one since my original was ruined by the dinorama packaging (it was still playable though) and the used copy had just a few scracthes on it and wouldn't play properly. My own CD with million scratches played much better. Had to return the used copy. :P

My CD copy doesn't play correctly actually. The Raptors Appear has an annoying clipping. Well, one or two. But you get my point.

Karol

YUP!

Ironically I bought a used copy of TLW a few years ago from a local second hand CD store because I wanted a spare one since my original was ruined by the dinorama packaging (it was still playable though) and the used copy had just a few scracthes on it and wouldn't play properly. My own CD with million scratches played much better. Had to return the use copy. :P

Ha!

Actually the score to the first movie IS the big thing.

Personally, I always found the Lost world soundtrack a little bit too agressive and percussively rhythmic for my taste. It remove anything to JW's talent, it's a great score (and among his greatests), but by the subject of the movie, it's a darker score than the first one.

In USA, Jurassic Park OST is actuallty a Golden record (we must look if the certification will change in the next month).

Lost World has no certification in USA.

Jurassic Park would have to be third to E.T. and Jaws as far as Universal's best-selling JW releases.

They did the right thing with the 3D re-release of the first film by expanding the original JP score. I'm holding out hope the immense success of Jurassic World has fast-tracked a 3D re-release of Lost World, if only to cash-in.

Who knows, maybe Spielberg/Williams will recommend Matessino to produce a re-release of TLW score?