BloodBoal

Wow, that author really hates selective sequels, which can sometimes reboot or retcon a franchise. I think they're a great idea, if you have the capital to back them and treat the property well. Why permit a previous crew's mistakes paint future movies into a corner by perpetuating the same mistakes, if they hinder future profitability, er, creativity?

Is the average film goer really going to be butthurt about spending $15 on a movie today just because it ignores the events of a movie he spent $11 to see three years prior? Is he going to obsess over that?

The dangerous side of the selective sequel path is the sloppy sequel path, when it's clear the filmmakers made it all up as they went with complete disregard for details to a point. Not pointing fingers, X-Men.

Not really. Alien 5 isn't out yet, while Jurassic Park 2, erm, Jurassic World is. The article wants to hype a film in theaters, not ride the speculation train.

Wow, that author really hates selective sequels, also called reboots or retcons.

Reboots aren't selective sequels.

I knew it would be you.

I'm with the author of that article -- I'm an extreme continuity junkie and hate reboots of franchises that I love, or films that ignore parts of the storyline. I know such things are not a big deal to many here, but it most definitely is to me. That being said, I think JURASSIC WORLD fits well with existing timeline, so no big issues there.

But the way they're rebooting, say, the HULK and SPIDERMAN franchises every other year is such ridiculous. And don't even get me started on Blomkamp's ALIEN.

The backstory for the characters states that Hoskins gained his position in part by killing the pteranodonts that escaped Isla Sorna at the end of JPIII.

The films never explain how Hammond died, though we know from TLW that he was dying anyway. Who knows what he said on his deathbed after he made his speech about leaving them alone? Or Masrani could have lied about Hammond's legacy. It'd make for some interesting theories, but I think I'll leave that to others. I might mention that Hammond does not outright rule out creating another park. He simply states that the dinosaurs living on Isla Sorna should be left alone.

I think in this case, Jurassic World purposefully neglects to mention the last two but companion material makes it plain that the events of the other two movies did happen.

For all we know, Nublar became the new park while Sorna remained the preserve.

As for selective sequels, what is it about films like the Muppet movies and the Monty Python movies that allow us to accept zero continuity between them, but people lose their shit because Jurassic World doesn't mention San Diego? Because anthology movies operate under different, nonlinear rules?

Selective sequels? Bring 'em on! Lol maybe one day they'll let me make an alternate sequel to The Empire Strikes Back or a different version of The Hobbit that doesn't necessarily ignore Jackson's LOTR!*

*Totally kidding. Don't stone me!

These guys erase the past and change the future with just a couple of comments in an interview. The Terminator’s long since abandoned numerical sequels, but if it hadn’t, they could have called this one Terminator 3 2: Genisys.

I was just joking the other day that they could call the next one "The Lost Park" and then the final film would be "Jurassic World III: Jurassic Park VI."

Selective sequels? Bring 'em on! Lol maybe one day they'll let me make an alternate sequel to The Empire Strikes Back or a different version of The Hobbit that doesn't necessarily ignore Jackson's LOTR!*

*Totally kidding. Don't stone me!

monty-python-stoning-o.gif

As for selective sequels, what is it about films like the Muppet movies and the Monty Python movies that allow us to accept zero continuity between them, but people lose their shit because Jurassic World doesn't mention San Diego?

And all 23 James Bond films in which most of them have absolutely no relation to the others' plots.

I don't watch James Bond movies, but I guess you're right. I guess that's why they never bothered to number them or create one cohesive story across the decades. Each actor's installments create their own little continuity, and that's okay.

Even the first three Indiana Jones films acknowledged very little of each other. The only example I can think of is the Ark of the Covenant painting in the catacombs under Venice

So where does Jurassic World go from where it left the viewers?

Is Biosyn gonna get involved again like they did in JP? Is Henry Wu going to try to salvage the park again?

Or is it just going to be...

Jurassic World 2: The Lost Profits

I don't think Jurassic World even IS a "selective sequel." There are a handful of references to the previous sequels, where it makes sense.

BTW, if a rhinoceros rampaged through San Diego, people would still visit the San Diego zoo and look at the rhinos. If a lion ate a person on safari, people would still go on safari the next day.

T-Rex busting through the spinosaurus skeleton. Ian Malcom's book, which was seen in several shots (I know he was obviously in JP as well, but his character would be more primed to write such a thing after the public revelation of dinosaurs in TLW). Since those movies took place on Isla Sorna (and since the events of the third one really only occurred to one family), there really wasn't a great way to shoehorn in references to the events of those two movies.

Hoskins' backstory is another indicator. He killed the pteranodont clan that escaped Isla Sorna at the end of JPIII (apparently they got to Canada).

Looking forward to the selective sequel that ignores the previous selective sequel and goes back to the sequels that the previous selective sequel chose to ignore instead!

It's not mentioned in the film, though, just in some tie-in stuff most people haven't read!

They didn't mention that the T-Rex is the same one as in Jurassic Park either (I wonder how they recaptured her, and how they failed to hit her when they napalmed Isla Nublar)

Did they even napalm Isla Nublar in the film world? I mean I know they did in the book

Also, is it realistic that T-Rexes would live to be 22 years old+?

Some crocodiles live over 70 years, so yes. But this is a genetically invented hybrid animal. Who knows what kind of disease or defect it could be susceptible to after years? It would need constant medical attention.

Two words: Lysine contingency.

Did they even napalm Isla Nublar in the film world? I mean I know they did in the book

Also, is it realistic that T-Rexes would live to be 22 years old+?

It's in a deleted scene for TLW. They mention they did napalm the island, which would not account for how the T-Rex, or the original visitor's centre, are still there unless they did a poor job of it.

I suppose the T-rex could live that long. The indominous had growth speed, i dont know if they did all dinosaurs like that but i doubt it.

She looked a little old-emaciated though.

Two words: Lysine contingency.

Well, the dinosaurs roam free...so the herbivores can eat lysine plants, and so on. Like they say in TLW.

But the thing is the park must have been constructed now many years after TLW or JPIII. I dont think there could be enough dinomeat to sustain the rex for lets say, 10 years....

65 million years ago, the T-Rexes would have had entire continents to roam to find food. Stuck on island, they'd run out of wild goats pretty quick