James Horner 1953-2015

Not Mr. Big

I saw something from Seth McFarlane earlier. He's exceptionally musical but it's still lovely how diverse the reactions to this are. What more can an artist, a person, ask for.

Absolutely shocked and devastated to learn this. :( He was a major reason for me loving film music as well. Can never forget listening to the Titanic soundtrack for the first time and being so moved by it... and then Avatar, Braveheart, Land Before Time and countless more. It's a terrible tragedy and left a horrible void that nothing can ever fill. My humble condolences and prayers for him and his family. He'll live forever in our hearts and is immortalized with his wonderful music.

I saw something from Seth McFarlane earlier. He's exceptionally musical but it's still lovely how diverse the reactions to this are. What more can an artist, a person, ask for.

Indeed.

I'm going to break cover and actually post.

For a kid growing up in the '80's, Horner's scores peppered so many good experiences. The gift he's been given and shared with us is timeless. To say he'll be missed goes without saying- I don't even care about AVATAR 2 anymore. Like previously posted, losing Jerry was sad- this is an outright shock.

Mr. K

I was wishing this morning when I woke up that Horner was in seclusion working on his latest score and free from any distractions (including the news and phone calls).

And someone had stolen his plane to take it for a joyride.

And I dare anyone here to top that kind of wishful thinking, because THAT'S how I mourn the untimely and unlikely death of anybody, especially influential composers.

More life?

Sigh. You know, I'm *never* "this guy", so I apologize in advance to anyone on the board if this is seen as stirring anything up...but really man, just stop. I know you're just being cheeky - possibly even trying to keep the mood up around here, I don't know you well enough to know your motives - but you're coming across (at least to me) as insensitive at best and a huge troll at worst. Now's really not the time. I don't want to get into it with you or anyone else here...but honestly, this is a man and a body of work that deserves a little respect and reverence - HERE IF ANYWHERE. I'm taking this pretty hard, as are a lot of people here. Please respect that. I, and I'm sure others, would really appreciate it, if just for one day.

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry if this was a bit of an overreaction. I was just re-reading over the thread, and you've posted some personal thoughts that have been respectful earlier on. Sorry if I pounced on the one thing I could have.

Sigh. You know, I'm *never* "this guy", so I apologize in advance to anyone on the board if this is seen as stirring anything up...but really man, just stop. I know you're just being cheeky - possibly even trying to keep the mood up around here, I don't know you well enough to know your motives - but you're coming across (at least to me) as insensitive at best and a huge troll at worst. Now's really not the time. I don't want to get into it with you or anyone else here...but honestly, this is a man and a body of work that deserves a little respect and reverence - HERE IF ANYWHERE. I'm taking this pretty hard, as are a lot of people here. Please respect that. I, and I'm sure others, would really appreciate it, if just for one day.

I have no idea who you are, and where you think you have the right to talk to me like that.

James Horner was and is a huge influence in my life, and the mere suggestion that I am in any way disrespecting the man or his legacy is offensive.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for James Horner and his vast and diverse body of work.

I have no idea how you chose to interpret my post. But that is frankly not my concern.

Please do not bother me again with your nonsense!

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry if this was a bit of an overreaction. I was just re-reading over the thread, and you've posted some personal thoughts that have been respectful earlier on. Sorry if I pounced on the one thing I could have.

I accept your apology

The AV Club piece reads like it was written by someone who actually listens to film scores. Good on them.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-james-horner-221224

I'm doing my best to defend Horner in the Disqus comments. Sad but predictable I guess.

BTW, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky is a really promising film critic. If anyone's to inherit Ebert, Kael or Sarris's crown in the next 50 years it's this guy.

I have no idea who you are, and where you think you have the right to talk to me like that.

James Horner was and is a huge influence in my life, and the mere suggestion that I am in any way disrespecting the man or his legacy is offensive.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for James Horner and his vast and diverse body of work.

I have no idea how you chose to interpret my post. But that is frankly not my concern.

obpiA77.jpg

HOW DAARRE HE!

The AV Club piece reads like it was written by someone who actually listens to film scores. Good on them.

I'm doing my best to defend Horner in the Disqus comments. Sad but predictable I guess.

Some of those comments are absolutely disgraceful. I won't bother reading further. Those people are not worth my time, as arrogant as it sounds.

Karol

@Croweyes1121

I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again:

Let's not turn a composer's death into a reason to piss all over each other's feelings.

It would certainly be nice to receive YOUR apology for this post, however. I was totally respectful of you in my post. I merely pointed out how you were coming across to me (and potentially others) with that post. I wasn't "talking to you like" anything. I simply stated a concern and asked you to be respectful of those grieving today. I'm sorry if the suggestion that you were disrespecting him was offensive...your post was a tad offensive to me as well - but I acknowledged that perhaps I took it wrong, or I didn't know your motives in posting it. But I certainly didn't stoop to calling your words nonsense. I had a dissenting view. I'm sorry if that "bothers" you. Welcome to the Internet.

BTW, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky is a really promising film critic. If anyone's to inherit Ebert, Kael or Sarris's crown in the next 50 years it's this guy.

There's some absolute bullshit in some of those comments. Who exactly were you arguing with?

The comments didn't seem that cancerous to me, at least the head comments. I didn't really look into the subcomments. I don't think I will. I expected to see more irreverent snark, given its AV Club, though.

Also, I am familiar with Vishnevetsky. I really enjoyed hearing his opinions during his brief stint on At the Movies.

It would certainly be nice to receive YOUR apology for this post, however. I was totally respectful of you in my post. I merely pointed out how you were coming across to me (and potentially others) with that post. I wasn't "talking to you like" anything. I simply stated a concern and asked you to be respectful of those grieving today. I'm sorry if the suggestion that you were disrespecting him was offensive...your post was a tad offensive to me as well - but I acknowledged that perhaps I took it wrong, or I didn't know your motives in posting it. But I certainly didn't stoop to calling your words nonsense. I had a dissenting view. I'm sorry if that "bothers" you. Welcome to the Internet.

Don't worry about it friend, Stefan is always the cause of arguments here.

Yes, let's.

Wouldn't it be the story of the decade (in not the century) if it turns out that the pilot wasn't Horner?

Not to diminish the loss of a human life here, but it would undoubtedly send me into a state of ecstasy if he turned up somewhere else.

But then again... -_-

There's some absolute bullshit in some of those comments. Who exactly were you arguing with?

Fuckwit who calls himself "Reverend Doctor Drewcifer". Emperor with no clothes syndrome. I'm "Cody Jarrett."

It would be amazing. But unlikely.

Still no news about an official identification?

Nope. All we've got is this (emphasis mine):

“Although we are all awaiting official confirmation that our dear friend and client James Horner was in fact the pilot, we are shocked and deeply saddened to learn that his single-engine aircraft was involved in a fatal crash yesterday morning in northern Ventura County,” the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers remain with James’ family at this difficult time. We can offer no further comment for the time being, except to ask that the family’s privacy be respected in the days ahead.”

From Wikipedia. Although, no source is provided. I'm not sure what the protocol is in these types of situations.

The FAA indicated the official identity of the deceased pilot will be confirmed by the local authorities.

A local radio station dedicated a few songs to Horner this morning.

It would be amazing. But unlikely.

Still no news about an official identification?

Nope. All we've got is this (emphasis mine):

“Although we are all awaiting official confirmation that our dear friend and client James Horner was in fact the pilot, we are shocked and deeply saddened to learn that his single-engine aircraft was involved in a fatal crash yesterday morning in northern Ventura County,” the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers remain with James’ family at this difficult time. We can offer no further comment for the time being, except to ask that the family’s privacy be respected in the days ahead.”

The major Hollywood trades like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter have confirmed it and wrote obituaries on Horner. His assistant isn't the type to make a sick joke.

I'm surprised GSA nor Lightstorm Entertainment haven't made a statement yet.

I'm not insinuating that his assistant is the type to make a sick joke.

However, it is very possible that she (or the media outlets) could be mistaken. Not to diminish their sorrow or anything.

Haven't heard about it on TV or radio news. Too many other things (political) that they want to hammer into peoples' brains to devote time to something like that.

Haven't heard about it on TV or radio news. Too many other things (political) that they want to hammer into peoples' brains to devote time to something like that.

And mostly stuff that makes people hate other people. Usually, the poor ones. That's one of the reasons I don't watch television. Find it sickening.

It was mentioned on the radio back home (my mum told me) and I think BBC mentioned this as well.

Karol

However, it is very possible that she (or the media outlets) could be mistaken. Not to diminish their sorrow or anything.

After 24 hours, we would have heard from him by now. It's likely his assistant would have been one of the first people to find out. She was obviously very close to him. His family asking for privacy is also telling. My heart breaks for them.

I believe they had a piece (I saw the preview) about him on The Today Show, but I wasn't able to watch.

After 24 hours, we would have heard from him by now. It's likely his assistant would have been one of the first people to find out. She was obviously very close to him. His family asking for privacy is also telling. My heart breaks for them.

Good point.

I'm still wondering how his assistant first heard about it.