James Horner 1953-2015

Not Mr. Big

I'm still having trouble comprehending this. This is the most a celebrity's death has hit since Roger Ebert's.

I think this is the first serious one for me. I can't really think of any previous ones, even recent like Nimoy and Lee, that were as crushing. Because usually, they're timely and easy to accept. This is just weird. And such a waste.

Oh yeah. Kamen was bad too but I heard about it in a way that I guess kind of softened the impact. And of course we knew it was coming with Jerry.

Sagan, now that was a bad one for me. I had blocked that out of my memory until now. This is still worse though. No warning

He was a great composer, there's no denying that. A loss of life is always tragic... However, loss of a thousand lives is a thousand times more tragic. It's not just a statistic. Let's not lose sight of that.

He was a great composer, there's no denying that. A loss of life is always tragic... However, loss of a thousand lives is a thousand times more tragic. It's not just a statistic. Let's not lose sight of that.

The loss of the one outweighs the loss of the many.

I'm still having trouble comprehending this. This is the most a celebrity's death has hit since Roger Ebert's.

I think this is the first serious one for me. I can't really think of any previous ones, even recent like Nimoy and Lee, that were as crushing. Because usually, they're timely and easy to accept. This is just weird. And such a waste.

Indeed. This kind of just came out of nowhere...what a waste indeed.

This man shaped much of my musical passions, and fate has him go like this....

It's not even like he faded into obscurity or was nearing the end. How does such an icon just disappear like this?

Oh yeah. Kamen was bad too but I heard about it in a way that I guess kind of softened the impact. And of course we knew it was coming with Jerry.

Sagan, now that was a bad one for me. I had blocked that out of my memory until now. This is still worse though. No warning

See I wasn't really conscious of those passings. At the time of Kamen's and Goldsmith's deaths, I had no idea who they were. And even when Barry passed, it seemed somewhat acceptable considering his age and relative retirement from film music.

But this one...this one is hard. He played such a big part in my life. Just can't believe I have to say goodbye so soon.

RIP James Horner. :crymore:

So I believe his final completed work was a documentary called Living in the Age of Airplanes, which was narrated by Harrison Ford.

Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

Not really. That's what some certain folks want you to believe.

It's whats true.

A thousand deaths is a grim statistic. A single death is a personal tragedy.

Crikey. Did you just quote Joseph Stalin in a James Horner Eulogy thread?!

It's a universal truth.

If there was news that a 747 crashed with 300 people had died most wouldn't have been nearly as shook up.

But a single person, that meant something to them....

No one ever mourned the death of the many, not in a deeply personal way.

Not really. That's what some certain folks want you to believe.

Anyway, who's gonna do Avatar 2 now, I wonder. Thomas Newman?

It should go scoreless as a tribute to Horner.

Hans Zimmer. He should be the next James Horner.

Indeed. This kind of just came out of nowhere...what a waste indeed.

This man shaped much of my musical passions, and fate has him go like this....

It's not even like he faded into obscurity or was nearing the end. How does such an icon just disappear like this?

This is probably the hardest for me to accept in such tragedies. He was still in his prime and his best years were arguably still ahead of him. Gone far too soon. My condolences to his family and friends. It's a very sad day for them and us.

So I believe his final completed work was a documentary called Living in the Age of Airplanes, which was narrated by Harrison Ford.

He scored Southpaw which is coming out next month. He was also attached to a film called The 33 but not sure we know if he had written that yet. And hopefully he'd finished Wolf Totem by now, which is released in September.

So terribly sad right now. Several favorite scores from my childhood came from him..and I feel there were many more left...now to be unwritten.

Just an awful, awful feeling to read this news. RIP James...the work you left us is a treasure.

I was (and am still) looking forward so much to hearing this in the spring - I think he would have attended..

March 31, April 2, 3, 2016

Houston Symphony
Michael Francis, conductor
David Pyatt, horn
Charles Watkins, horn
William VerMeulen, horn
Robert Johnson, horn
Korngold: The Sea Hawk
James Horner: Concerto for Four Horns
and Orchestra, North American Premiere, Co-
Commission of the Houston Symphony
and the International Horn Society
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances

Don’t miss an exciting North American Premiere as celebrated film composer James Horner (Titanic,Avatar) unveils his new Concerto for Four Horns, performed by soloists including the Houston Symphony’s own William VerMeulen and Robert Johnson. Also on the program is swashbuckling film music from the Golden Age of Hollywood’s greatest composer, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, and the rhythmic vitality and dark melodies of Rachmaninoff’s final work, Symphonic Dances.

He scored Southpaw which is coming out next month. He was also attached to a film called The 33 but not sure we know if he had written that yet.

Ive been told that score had been recorded a few months ago

Any composers tweeting about Horner? I saw Bear McCreary, Brian Tyler and Steve Jablonsky tweeting their condolences.

My first and worst composer death was Kamen's

Not my first one but certainly the worst for me at the time.

But as much as I loved Kamen, this one's even more shocking. So many great moments and deep emotions in the last 33 years, since I discovered Horner's music through Star Trek II. I remember thinking of him as "the next John Williams" while listening to Krull, Brainstorm or Gorky Park.

He was so young when he became a film music sensation. He was so young when he died.

Any composers tweeting about Horner? I saw Bear McCreary, Brian Tyler and Steve Jablonsky tweeting their condolences.

I thought I saw Chad Seiter say something but I can't bring myself to look through all of it again.

Even though he had passed his 60's there was still something youthful about him.

Indeed. I wouldn't have placed him in his 60s from his output and interviews.

And hopefully he'd finished Wolf Totem by now, which is released in September.

It has already been released in France (film and score).

Damn, damn, damn ! I wish I wouldn't have learned of his death for another 20 years at least.

A sad day for us fans. :(

I thought I saw Chad Seiter say something but I can't bring myself to look through all of it again.

I saw Conrad Pope write something lovely on Facebook, but that's about all I could get through.

Good luck. This is the the sort of thing sure to give me insomnia.

This is the worst kind of thing to come back home to...I wish I didn't open the computer. Could have some decent sleep before dealing with this at least.

:music:The Dark Side of the Moon

He just had to go flying, didn't he?

Where was the part of his piloting instinct that was telling him, "Nah, stay on the ground. You could use the R&R. The sky's not going anywhere"?

It's just not fair. This man did nothing wrong and almost everything else right in his life with the music he made.

I'm starting to think I should stop playing all the Horner...it might be making it worse.

Not to mention film footage of them speaking (when said film is available).

This is really inspiring me to make it as a film composer now.

I gotta write something. Anything. Not necessarily a tribute, but something!