Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

curlytoot

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • David Arnold
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Danny Elfman
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Trevor Jones
    • George Fenton
    • John Debney
    • John Ottman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Joel McNeely
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Howard Shore
    • David Newman

Who?

The guy who did the music for Knights Of The Old Republic 2, The Force Unleashed, The Force Unleashed II and The Old Republic.

A video game composer should succeed John Williams, the finest film composer the world has ever known?

Who?

The guy who did the music for Knights Of The Old Republic 2, The Force Unleashed, The Force Unleashed II and The Old Republic.

A video game composer should succeed John Williams, the finest film composer the world has ever known?

Yes, but not that one.

Williams has already been succeeded by Peter Bernstein, Kevin Kiner, and soon to be Alexandre Desplat on various official projects. Don't get all panicky.

I've noticed that most people, me included, have been naming people that would 'sound' like Williams. I think someone who sounds completely different and yet is unbelievably skilled in the traditional and modern sounds, should take over. I've changed my mind from my previous choices, because if someone 'Williams sounding' takes over, it's just pointless. I'm going to put Bear McCreary out there.

I'd wager that if anyone is going to take up scoring these films in the same capacity that Williams did, that is, without getting replaced by someone when the next one comes out, it'll be someone we've not heard of yet. To think it would be a familiar face is silly. In five or ten years, how many new composers will there be active on the scene, with great talent? It'll be one of them.

But what about Spielberg using Newman? And Star Trek and Jurassic World where Giacchino continued the legacy of Williams and Goldsmith. They're far from unknown. Disney wont take that kind of a risk, to hire a relatively new composer. They will hire someone either recommended by Williams, or if he isn't around to recommend anyone, then they'll go with a heavyweight of the current scene, like they did with Desplat.

Well, not wrong, it's actually exactly what I said. The "heavyweights of the scene," when the time comes, may be largely folks who we have no awareness of yet. That's all I mean.

But what about Spielberg using Newman? And Star Trek and Jurassic World where Giacchino continued the legacy of Williams and Goldsmith. They're far from unknown. Disney wont take that kind of a risk, to hire a relatively new composer. They will hire someone either recommended by Williams, or if he isn't around to recommend anyone, then they'll go with a heavyweight of the current scene, like they did with Desplat.

His scores arguably didn't live up Williams' and Goldsmith's scores, though.

Well, not wrong, it's actually exactly what I said. The "heavyweights of the scene," when the time comes, may be largely folks who we have no awareness of yet. That's all I mean.

I see yeah. Could be. I think it takes around 10 years for someome to go from "oh who's this guy? He's pretty good," to a heavyweight. Giacchino and Desplat are now major players doing the big projects and they took about a decade to achieve that in Hollywood.

His scores arguably didn't live up Williams' and Goldsmith's scores, though.

We're not discussing quality, we're discussing who takes over from the big guys, and almost always, it's another big guy, not an unknown

We already have one Lee from England who's a bit of a cunt. Do we really need you to groom another?

The very subject of this thread should give you your answer!

We already have one Lee from England who's a bit of a cunt. Do we really need you to groom another?

The very subject of this thread should give you your answer!

I'm flattered, but I can't take over from Williams on Star Wars. I'll be washing my hair.

I'm not convinced yet.

Relax, he'll be gone in 2 weeks anyway.

I don't think Michael Giacchino is gonna get a chance to do Star Wars anything, unless JJ Abrams or one of his Pixar regular takes it on.

I decided to make this video for a bit of fun. Michael Giacchino's music matched as well as I could to some random scenes from across the Saga. I'm no expert in video editing, so it's not seamlessly put together of course, but I think it roughly does the job to give a general idea of what it would be like.

people really are negative aren't they? It's just for fun, to see how it would be. Don't lose hair over it. And I think the music matches the scenes wonderfully.

I don't think Michael Giacchino is gonna get a chance to do Star Wars anything, unless JJ Abrams or one of his Pixar regular takes it on.

He already did the Star Wars ride at Disneyland.

He did new music for Space Mountain, didn't he? That's all I ever experience on that ride, since I have to take my glasses off and then generally just keep my eyes shut.

Post cues that make you feel this way, and we shall discuss further!

Bear in mind that I would gladly call Lost brilliant, but I couldn't call him brilliant just for one, though substantial, instance of brilliance. Jurassic World is all that readily rivals that, and it too is great, but it's still not enough!

Until now 2010 was the last great year for him. I certainly thought he peaked too early but Tomorrowland and Jurassic World beg to differ.

Jurassic World is fine but I'd choose any of MG's other 2015 scores over Tommorowland.

*edit* posted my thoughts on the video on filmtracks, so I figured I might as well post it here too*

While the video is very well-spotted, I'm still not convinced. The Giacchino music used lacks gravitas (a common problem in his music for me). The original SW scores never felt like they were written for a pulpy space adventure and that's what helped sell the drama. The Giacchino-tracked score is split between cartoony action and stale drama.

I'd much rather have James Newton Howard, John Powell, or Christopher Young doing future SW films. They have a much better sense of drama than Giacchino.

I decided to make this video for a bit of fun. Michael Giacchino's music matched as well as I could to some random scenes from across the Saga. I'm no expert in video editing, so it's not seamlessly put together of course, but I think it roughly does the job to give a general idea of what it would be like.

While I wouldn't have gone with Gia for the reasons Mr. Big posted, I do think the timing could be improved. Take when the ramp for the shuttle lowers and we're waiting for Vader to step off. There's no sense of building tension, just a vaguely sinister and occult vibe with the voices. Plus the solo boy soprano (?) singing some kind of text clashes with the dialogue between Vader and the admiral. Those are the moments that need the most attention, in any score.