NEW Omni Publishing Sheet Music release: James Horner's Willow

Jay

From an email that just went out by Omni letting people know Elfman's Batman is back in stock:

Many of you know by now that film composer James Horner passed away in a tragic accident on June 22nd. Musicians everywhere have been saddened by this news, your editor included. Sadly, this happened at a time when the next book to be released is WILLOW. James knew this was forthcoming, he even allowed me to look over his personal copy. Hopefully, this news can shed even a small amount of light in such a dark time.

Does Willow have music that didn't make it to soundtrack? If so, how much?

So much for being first to post this. Saw the e-mail, came here to post, and then got distracted by having to go eat cake. It was good cake. Worth it.

Oh, very much so! Despite the OST being 73 minutes, there's a ton of unreleased cues in the film

A boot I have of dvd rips is 13 tracks / 30 minutes, but I dunno if that's everything or not

Oh, very much so! Despite the OST being 73 minutes, there's a ton of unreleased cues in the film

A boot i have of dvd rips is 13 tracks / 30 minutes, but I dunno if that's everything or not

I remember the CD being closer to 80 and yet research shows it as being 73 and change-- a friend of mine returned three copies of it before he found out that his CD player couldn't handle CDs that long.

Have the previous Omni releases included the entire score recorded (excluding alternates)? If Willow follows suit, that's ~30 minutes of music not currently commercially available for unencumbered listening. Specialty labels better get on an expanded release...

Yea all the other omni releases are the complete score. Batman and BTTF have their complete scores on CD, but Edward Scissorhands, The Matrix, and now Willow do not. I have no clue about Silverado.

Great news, this was one of the three James Horner's scores that I was hoping Omni would release! Very good choice, as always!!

So am I.

I always love unreleased cues. It gives me something to digitally render. ^_^

In the meantime, I have to wonder:

If it was up to you, what film score (beside Willow) would've been a better epitaph for Horner? This isn't to say that the music of Willow is inferior in any way.

What are the other two?

Titanic and Braveheart. These and Willow are my favourite among Horner's scores. What I particularly like in Willow is that the cues are rather long (according to the standards of film music) and so they allowed more musical development than usual.

If it was up to you, what film score (beside Willow) would've been a better epitaph for Horner? This isn't to say that the music of Willow is inferior in any way.

COCOON, for me. It has the most variety.

Yeah, the big band charts would be fun to explore. When I contemplated if Omni were to do a Horner score, which would be first, I came up with Cocoon. The complete score has been released (thank you, Intrada), it's not Star Trek, and it's not Lucas related; I figured it was the easiest to do with the most interest.

Thank you very much filmusicfan.

I take it, this will be internationally available? :unsure:

Also, I was wondering what the cover will be.

I know the music is what matters, but the Willow poster is I think my favourite film poster ever that marked my childhood. :)

willow-movie-poster-1988-1020193106.jpg

Willow is an international release. I haven't sought after rights for the poster artwork yet, but if it's possible, then I'll use whatever Sony provides. Cover artwork is the furthest thing from my mind. I'm more focused on getting the music inputted. Thanks for the enthusiasm.

Willow is an international release. I haven't sought after rights for the poster artwork yet, but if it's possible, then I'll use whatever Sony provides. Cover artwork is the furthest thing from my mind. I'm more focused on getting the music inputted. Thanks for the enthusiasm.

Yes, i can understand that.

Thanks for the reply.

• 3 months later...

No, seriously, I cannot imagine a single good reason why it will be available everywhere in the world EXCEPT in Europe. What kind of crazy copyright requirement would exclude a continent? I mean, I can accept (although not understand) that some titles are available only in the U.S.A., but if the release is "worldwide", it should be really worldwide.

I hope we will know the reason soon!

I don't think that anyone would think that the editor is at fault.

We understand it's a matter of rights and stuff...

Does anyone know of any good and cheap parcel forwarding company in USA?

I've been very busy composing epic orchestral music for scallenger over the summer and beyond. I should be finished by the end of the year.

In the meantime, I'm still open to digital recreations of unused cues in film soundtrack (or poorly ripped ones, such as with JP).

This is just as exciting! Sit in a quiet room, read the score, and hear it all performed in your head!

Yes!