Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

I'm totally onboard with the Bond casting.  Elba's a little old for 20-year-old Harrison Ford, but maybe he can play Solo in the spin-offs set in the period between ROTJ and TFA.

18 hours ago, Sharky said:

chris_zylka2.jpg

Han Solo - Chris Zylka

Only seen him in The Leftovers, and I always found him one of the weaker members of that cast. What else has he done?

2 hours ago, KK. said:

Only seen him in The Leftovers, and I always found him one of the weaker members of that cast. What else has he done?

He's pretty good in Dixieland (and otherwise mediocre film) playing an ex con. He has the comic chops and swagger, plus he's 30, so the right age for the part.

52 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Finn should have been played by a white actor. Hollywood have been so racist to white leading men. It's time they change their ways.

Let's put him in with the big white guy who thinks he's the little black guy.

15 minutes ago, Sharky said:

He's pretty good in Dixieland (and otherwise mediocre film) playing an ex con. He has the comic chops and swagger, plus he's 30, so the right age for the part.

Whoever they cast it's probably going to be really hard to imagine until we see a trailer.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Whoever they cast it's probably going to be really hard to imagine until we see a trailer.

True. Chris Zylka is closest in terms of lookalikes, but Hunter Parrish (Silas from Weeds) would also be good.

Anthony Ingruber is the only logical choice. I see no other working. An actor that gives a good performance isn't enough, as Ford is so engrained in our minds that we will be unable to see Solo in someone doing just a good performance. We need someone who both looks and sounds like him, as well as a good performance. Also anyone that is famous is automatically prejudged, and he is unknown and proven to work already with Age of Adaline. The only argument I hear against him is his lack of experience, yet Daisy Ridley carried what is a much bigger film than a Han Solo spin-off, and she had zero films to her name and barely a few guest spots on tiny tv shows. And she absolutely nailed it.

So you want an actor who has an enormous amount of screen presence to be succeeded by someone who can knock out a few solid impersonations on YouTube?

I couldn't tell you who could step into Fords shoes, but certainly not am impersonator!

I would be worried if I was him about not being able to have any kind of career after doing it. Especially if it's not an especially great performance. Someone who only passingly looked like a young Ford could turn it into a star-making role, but Ingruber will probably be looked at as "that kid who just looks like Harrison Ford".

That list is not very inspiring, though. I hope it's not Ansel Elgort...can't decide if his performance or his promotional interviews would be worse. "If you can find a girl who you can go to an EDM concert with, have a conversation with, who will sit on the couch and watch you play GTA for three hours—and then you go to bed and have amazing sex? That should be your girlfriend." Barf.

Jack Reynor is pretty much a secondhand Chris Pratt.

Jack+Reynor+Tribeca+Film+Festival+Portra

they say these actors are among "about a dozen" that will go further in the process: Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Dave Franco, Scott Eastwood, Jack Reynor, Logan Lerman, Emory Cohen, and Blake Jenner.

Is this for real?

Who's next? Jai Courtney?

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So you want an actor who has an enormous amount of screen presence to be succeeded by someone who can knock out a few solid impersonations on YouTube?

I couldn't tell you who could step into Fords shoes, but certainly not am impersonator!

Not one young actor working today has the screen presence of Ford anyway, so what different does it make? Someone who can act well is not enough. No one will see Solo in them at all. We'll all just see another actor trying to be Ford and it'll be embarrassing and awkward. I can imagine just sitting there cringing at some bright-eyed youngster overacting by trying to be cocky etc. It just feels like a disaster waiting to happen. At least Ingruber is proven on film that he can nail Ford's look, style and class instantly in a very short scene. I'm not saying he could convince us performance wise over an entire film, but as I said, Ridley carried an entire film, so his inexperience doesn't matter.

Whoever they cast I hope its a total unknown, or at least as unknown as the likes of Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were

On January 11, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Mr. Big said:

Nobody is really right for Solo TBH.  

I wish they had just made a KOTOR movie instead... 

Daisy Ridley for Bastila!  That wouldn't be confusing. 

On 13/1/2016 at 3:45 AM, Indianagirl said:

Everything about this film terrifies me. 

I couldn't have said it better. I hope they reconsider and cancel this while it's still possible. Nobody needs this picture...

But they'll do it anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh... my hopes for this project to be cancelled are waning with each passing day now.

I'm afraid they can kill the goose that laid the golden eggs, but I hope they're careful enough to maintain certain standards, regardless of quantity.  

• 4 weeks later...