Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Now they have started the race for the speculations about the title.

"Solo/sólo = alone in spanish. The word reflects the character very well. In the movie we will meet Han Solo in his lonely days as a traveler, nothing more fair. It was a very smart choice."

Amazing title, must have taken them hours to come up with. Top notch.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Logo's out too

Reminds me of the Kleenex Logo.

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Leave it to Ron Howard to come up with something middle-of-the-road!

Howard has nothing to do with that title, I imagine. That was all Kennedy and the producers doing more then likely, and it kinda makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Still bland though.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are a writing/director team best known for directing Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street, 22 Jump Street, The LEGO Movie, and episodes of The Last Man On Earth (including the pilot; Will Forte's character Phil Miller is named after them) and Brooklyn 99.

I wasn't especially anticipatory of this movie under Lord/Miller and I'm not under Howard either.  Howard does have the advantage of having made multiple movies I've really liked however not consistently and only a few this century.

I do enjoy Ehrenreich and Glover as performers though.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

24. We hear Han say: "Nice try, Boba Fett!"

OK, I actually wouldn't mind seeing this. :lol: Just as he's closing the door to the Falcon!

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

23. We hear Han say: "You'll catch me when hell freezes over, Fett!"

Fett replies "That can be arranged"

Somewhat ironically, this title surprised me. I wasn't expecting them to go for a title that had been thrown around by many fans for months.

Still, though, I'm happy about this. I think it's probably the best title they could have gone with. Concise, simple, and to the point. No cheesy phrase or pun. Fine by me! :)

A predictable and rather underwhelming title. Hopefully the film will be decent. I just don't see it as something the average moviegoer would be willing to see.

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Top 20 things I want to see in Solo: Han Solo Origins: A Star Wars Story Anthology

1. We find out how Han met Chewie

2. We find out how Han met Lando

3. We find out how Lando met Chewie

4. We find out how Han won the Falcon from Lando

5. We find out why Han says "I've got a bad feeling about this."

6. We see Han make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs & outrun big Corellian ships.

7. We find out what the Kessel Run is. We find out what a parsec is. We find out what a Corellian is.

8. We see Han shoot first. 

9. We see Han fly from one end of the Galaxy to another and see some strange stuff

10. We find out why Han wears B&W all the time

11. We find out why Han has a scar on his chin

12. We find out how Han met Jabba the Hutt. We find out what a Hutt is.

13. We see Han get boarded & dump Jabba's shipment (worth 10,000)

14. We see Emila Clarke call Han a scoundrel

15. We see Han meet Greedo. And Boba Fett.

16. We find out why Han never wants anyone to tell him the odds*

17. We see Han encounter Mynocks. Why do Mynocks like to chew on power cables? We find out.

18. We find out why money is all that Han loves and why he only takes orders from just one person...himself.

19. We see Han smuggle stuff (but not himself) in the Falcon's hidden compartments

20. We see Han make a lot of special modifications to the Falcon. We find out why this one goes there and that one goes there.

The movie should end with Han and Chewie going into the Cantina on Tattoine and sitting as the same table where he met Ben and Luke. Han is talking about how he owes Jabba 10,000 and that Greedo is looking for him, and wonders if there's anything that could save his neck. They hear someone in the bar is looking for a fast ship. We hear the bartender yell "no blasters! no blasters!" In the background there's the sound of a light sabre and a scream. Chewy leaves the table to talk to Ben. Chewie returns and we see Han look up and say "Han Solo. I'm captain of the Millennium Falcon..." 

Wipe to credits

Cue fanfare

Directed by Ron Howard

*This will happen during the card game when Han wins the Falcon. Someone will tell Han that the odds of him beating Lando's hand is 10,000 to 1.

Haha, oh my goodness there was this book trilogy I loved when I was 13 where so much of this happens, down to the ending where Han goes inside the cantina.

9 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Haha, oh my goodness there was this book trilogy I loved when I was 13 where so much of this happens, down to the ending where Han goes inside the cantina.

Han Solo at Stars End! 

Han Solo's Revenge! 

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy! 

26 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Han Solo at Stars End! 

Han Solo's Revenge! 

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy! 

No, the other Han Solo trilogy 

by AC Crispin (sp?)

8 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I’m not looking forward to the inevitable but lame “Han Shot First” joke.

I dunno, man.  That would be a whole different level of meta.  I'd consider walking out of the theater if that happened.  I could see Lord & Miller doing that though, with their shitty comedy and all.

Because it was Ron Howard’s last feature film and was a major diasaster both critically and commercially?  Unless his last movie was Inferno which... well, same thing.  Ronnie needs Star Wars more than Star Wars needs him.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Because it was Ron Howard’s last feature film and was a major diasaster both critically and commercially?  Unless his last movie was Inferno which... well, same thing.  Ronnie needs Star Wars more than Star Wars needs him.

Rush is really good though, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they'll release any of the footage shot by Lord and Miller. It's probably more likely than blu rays of an unaltered original trilogy!

I'm still not looking forward to this one, but I won't outright deny the possibility of it being an ok movie.  I certainly am glad we're not getting the Lord & Miller film.

Like this quote from the editorial:

Several of the plot points revealed by Disney CEO Bob Iger(Han meets Chewbacca for the first time, Han wins the Falcon) read as low-hanging fruit, and the self-aware sensibilities of Lord and Miller may have been able to put a creative spin on those beats

What the writer here thinks would be a "creative spin" I think would be insufferably meta-ironic.  Honestly if they're going for low-hanging fruit I'd rather see an attempt at picking them with sincerity, not irony.

Ultimately this is all irrelevant to me though.  The budget or behind-the-scenes drama won't have any effect on how I feel when I watch it.

Yeah, I was worried about Rogue One because of the absolute mess the production was but I really enjoyed the film and codlin't care less who directed what. 

There may have been a better or worse version of Rogue One out there at some point but I'm entirely satisfied by what we got!