Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Clicking here to enjoy reading the reactions...because I know if I click on the Fallen Kingdom thread (a thread about a film I actually give a hoot about), I'll just get depressed. 

That said, I remain confused as to the whole "Score by John Powell, Theme by John Williams" charade. I'm pretty certain Powell is capable of writing his own themes. Is there a lack of confidence there?

19 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Clicking here to enjoy reading the reactions...because I know if I click on the Fallen Kingdom thread (a thread about a film I actually give a hoot about), I'll just get depressed. 

That said, I remain confused as to the whole "Score by John Powell, Theme by John Williams" charade. I'm pretty certain Powell is capable of writing his own themes. Is there a lack of confidence there?

They asked JW is he wanted to write the theme and he said yes. John Powell seems to be very happy with the idea.

Just got a chance to watch this. The locations look very nice -- I think they may have re-purposed some unused TFA concepts found in the art book! -- although they are a bit similar to stuff we've gotten many times already (snow, sand, cantina/bar, etc.) 

The first time I watched it I really hated Ehrenreich's performance, but now after watching it a few times I'm getting used to it. I'd imagine it would have been tough to accept anyone other than Ford playing this role. 

I'll just say that I'm really hyped to hear John Powell scoring a Millenium Falcon chase! :)

Oh, and those posters shown above are awesome. 

42 minutes ago, Tom said:

Is Coach still alive? 

Coach (Nicholas Colasanto) died of a heart attack after the third season in 1985. Woody joined the cast as his replacement. John Ratzenberger was the only cast member to fly cross country for Colasanto's funeral. The show was never as good without him. 

17 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

This could be the one that saves Disney Star Wars.

I hope either this or the next SW film will flop so bad that it will put an end to Disney Star Wars.

Otherwise it'll get up to Episode XXXVI, at which point we'll be in the Godzilla territory of self-spoofing.

Star Wars Episode XXIX: Destroy All Skywalkers

7 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I hope either this or the next SW film will flop so bad that it will put an end to Disney Star Wars.

Otherwise it'll get up to Episode XXXVI, at which point we'll be in the Godzilla territory of self-spoofing.

Star Wars Episode XXIX: Destroy All Skywalkers

Freddy vs Vader: The Final Star Wars

37 minutes ago, mstrox said:

They might not be called "Episodes" after IX (although I'd say, give em time to regroup), but there will be a Star War every year for the foreseeable future.

Like James Bond.  If they're good, then cool. 

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's because you're more machine than human. :P

Disney will realize someday that Star Wars is maybe more a "generational" thing than they think.

Those who made the sequel to Blade Runner, realized it... too late. You can't surf indefinitely about the success of a 70's or 80's movie.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Disney will realize someday that Star Wars is maybe more a "generational" thing than they think.

Those who made the sequel to Blade Runner, realized it... too late. You can't surf indefinitely about the success of a 70's or 80's movie.

Yeah, but unlike Blade Runner it's still doing well at the box office.

Just start the rumor on the social medias that Vader will appear even 5 seconds in the movie and it will a be a huge success at the box office. :up:

People are so few demanding.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not to mention Boba Fett...

Boba Fett... Jango Fett... I think I'll be sick!

:pukeface:

Oops, sorry!

I think, like Marvel, Star Wars has a built in audience who will see the movie at least once - regardless of the quality.  The best Marvel movies get big audiences.  The lesser Marvel movies (Thor 2, Doctor Strange, Ant Man, etc) all get big audiences too.   All three of the new Star Wars movies have been the highest grossing domestic films of their respective years.  In fact, the only Star Wars movies that have NOT been the highest grossing movies of their years were Attack of the Clones and The Clone Wars. 

I'd expect Han Solo to be the first new movie to buck that box office trend trend (a lower-stakes movie, competition of an Avengers movie in the summer).  Still, the thought that a Star Wars movie will tank anytime soon is kind of baffling.

Lucasfilm isn't going to stop making Star Wars movies as long as they're a good source of revenue for Disney.  It's Kennedy's mandate from Disney to keep the Lucasfilm machine oiled and running, and if she were for some reason to propose pumping the brakes, Disney would get somebody else to do Star Wars.

A one-movie disappointment (a Thor: The Dark World equivalent) still won't derail them, since the next movie will just be something else.  Barring a total and complete market failure, we'll be seeing these things forever.