Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

7 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

pretty much the only people who hated it are the 25% of hardcore fans who were butthurt that it didn't fulfill their outlandish theories and speculations

Nah. Rather the cringe-worthy "humour", pointless sub-plots and subversion of established plotlines simply for shock value.

7 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Nah. Rather the cringe-worthy "humour", pointless sub-plots and subversion of established plotlines simply for shock value.

And that shock value has limited shelf life. It's a big reason modern horror jump-scare films have no re-watch value.

I saw it on under involuntary circumstances, a circumstance of which usually leads to me detesting the movie. 

As well as, I've never been captivated by Star Wars. I find discussions on them to be fascinating (be they positive or negative) and enjoy reading or listening to passionate diatribes about the franchise. 

But as films, they never interested me. I don't mean that as bitter dismissal or snarky contrarianism, as I do sincerely enjoy reading or discussing the films for the fact that they're so deeply ingrained into our pop culture. But actually watching any of the films? Nah. Even the music doesn't captivate me much compared to other Williams classics.

32 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Is that really true though? Or were they just bluntly honest about the film's failings and weren't compelled to sugarcoat it?

Nah, everyone I know's gripes with the film usually boil down to "Poe's 'your mom' joke in the beginning of the film was dumb, the scene where Leia 'flies' through space was weird, the Canto Bight plotline was unnecessary (which is partly true), Luke's character from the OT was entirely ruined, and Rose is the next Jar Jar".

TBH, you really should watch the actual movie before providing any input on its overall quality.

9 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

TBH, you really should watch the actual movie before providing any input on its overall quality.

I will when it's on TV for free. But I trust the judgement of many viewers who share my taste.

7 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I tried to see it out of curiosity, but it's already out of theaters!

They yanked that out of cinemas quick. It only came out in December!

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

I will when it's on TV for free. But I trust the judgement of many viewers who share my taste.

As much as it was a mixed bag of a movie, I’m really looking forward to rewatching it on the small screen, where screentime is far less overbearing.

I think much of the test of a film’s quality is on the small screen, because that’s where they endure. Many of my most influential movie experiences were on TV, and many classics only became classics after-the-fact, on TV. Not that I think it would happen with The Last Jedi...

5 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Don't compare this dreck to the prequels.

Comparing The Last Jedi to the prequels is like comparing The Godfather to The Room.

Where did I compare those?!

Although, I will say, Canto Bight’s design felt very much in the style of the prequels. Hell, Johnson even tried to retcon the idea that the Jedi were stuffy idiots in the prequels not due to incompetent screenwriting, but as a deliberate character flaw. Yeah right...

9 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

So, your Point is that people complaining have a point?

No. It's the fact that some of those points are largely superficial and have no bearing on the overall film. The fact that some can be disproven with basic lore and logic also says a lot as well.

It's pretty obvious that a certain cameo in TLJ was originally intended to be Hayden, which had been rumored. It would have been more effective and logical than

crazy youngling scene Yoda erroneously referring to Luke like he did Anakin and then using lightning from beyond the grave.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Hell, Johnson even tried to retcon the idea that the Jedi were stuffy idiots in the prequels not due to incompetent screenwriting, but as a deliberate character flaw. Yeah right...

The David Irving of Star Wars lore!

5 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

No. It's the fact that some of those points are largely superficial and have no bearing on the overall quality of the film. The fact that some can be disproven with basic lore and logic also says a lot as well.

Superficial? What do you think TLJ is?

You say only hardcore fans complain, which means you welcome the casual audience's superficial liking of the film. So, superficial liking and ignoring "lore" is okay, but superficial disliking and ignoring "lore" is not, because ... reasons?

18 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

No. It's the fact that some of those points are largely superficial and have no bearing on the overall film.

Of the points you mentioned - I’d say most of them are way past superficial. There’s an issue with humor throughout, the Canto Bight subplot didn’t work for so much as a single moment, and Rose was annoying.

Leia’s flying moment really is a small issue, but you have to admit it’s a wierd visual, and the handling of Luke’s character while at times bold and even a bit moving, wasn’t perfectly consistent.

Also, the movie has structural issues that make it feel slightly overwrought, and it needed a bit more polish on some of the effects, and some of the performances on the side of the villians weren’t up to snuff, either.

Its a good movie - no need to compare it to the prequels. But it’s really not that great, if at all. Hell, I like The Force Awakens better!

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Of the points you mentioned - I’d say they’re all way past superficial. There’s an issue with humor throughout, the Canto Bight subplot didn’t work for so much as a single moment, and Rose was annoying.

Leia’s flying moment really is a small issue, but you have to admit it’s a wierd visual, and the handling of Luke’s character while at times bold and even a bit moving, wasn’t perfectly consistent.

I liked he film as a whole but I did think they gave Rose way too much screen time. I wanted to see more of Rey but undead I got the Rose character for a big part of the movie...

Even Rey feels secondary in this film, which isn’t really a flaw: the main character of the film is Luke Skywalker. He has the biggest arc, and it’s the conclusion of his arc that turns the tables at the third act. As a result, Rey just about disappears after the midpoint.

I would say, she is a bit naive in this: really, you think you’ll turn Kylo, so you’ll turn yourself in? REALLY?!

Just now, Chen G. said:

Even Rey feels secondary in this film, which isn’t really a flaw: the main character of the film is Luke Skywalker. He has the biggest arc, and it’s the conclusion of his arc that turns the tables at the third act. As a result, Rey just about disappears after the midpoint.

Agreed. Given that Rey is obstensiably the main protagonist, she really feels absent through much of the film.

Luke is given a lot to do by contrast, most of which however is lame.

In term of the trilogy she is the protagonist, but this film is about Luke. The title refers to him and as I said he drives the third act. He is the protagonist here.

I don’t mind anything he does, except his attempt at Kylo’s life which is a bit out of character, and for no discernible reason, oh and the blue milk. Otherwise, it’s great stuff. The movie’s issues lie elsewhere.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised - not everyone hated it, despite what it may seem like around here!

It doesn't seem that way around here. It seems like an even number of people loved and hated it, while the majority are ambivalent. Even so, literally every time I complain about this film, 2-3 of you click the sad face reaction or comment about how you liked it in spite of my quibbles.

4 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

It was a good movie; pretty much the only people who hated it are the 25% of hardcore fans who were butthurt that it didn't fulfill their outlandish theories and speculations.

I don't give a damn what theories are fulfilled. I just want something intelligent and involving, something that takes itself seriously and makes me feel the warm fuzzies for the characters. This movie failed for me on all of those counts. But most of all I'm sick of people trivializing my opinion because they refuse to accept let alone understand my reasons for disliking this film.

1 hour ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Don't compare this dreck to the prequels.

I'm so glad it was better than the prequels. Episodes 1 and 2 are shit compared to 7 and 8. 

47 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

It's pretty obvious that a certain cameo in TLJ was originally intended to be Hayden, which had been rumored. It would have been more effective and logical than

Hide contents

crazy youngling scene Yoda erroneously referring to Luke like he did Anakin and then using lightning from beyond the grave.

Oh, thank God Hayden didn't show up and ruin this part. I don't want to see him in another SW movie. 

4 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

I don't give a damn what theories are fulfilled. I just want something intelligent and involving, something that takes itself seriously and makes me feel the warm fuzzies for the characters. This movie failed for me on all of those counts. But most of all I'm sick of people trivializing my opinion because they refuse to accept let alone understand my reasons for disliking this film.

This I agree with. Of all my problems with TLJ, not fulfilling x fan theory was the least of them. I never thought about them or cared about the theories. 

I just wanted to story to be at least somewhat thoughtful of what came before and where the story was going after TLJ ended. Instead, RJ tossed all that in favour of subverting our expectations. 

48 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

No. It's the fact that some of those points are largely superficial and have no bearing on the overall film. The fact that some can be disproven with basic lore and logic also says a lot as well.

The movie being filled to the brim with all the worst parts of past entries is a "largely superficial" thing with "no bearing on the overall film?" Yeah, sorry, things like an incoherent plot and an entire cast of worthless characters have an enormous bearing on the overall film. If I wanted my intelligence insulted, I would have been watching Justice League instead of Star Wars. Also, no, TLJ isn't supported by logic or the existing lore. It shits on both, thoroughly.

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

The movie being filled to the brim with all the worst parts of past entries is a "largely superficial" thing with "no bearing on the overall film?" Yeah, sorry, things like an incoherent plot and an entire cast of worthless characters have an enormous bearing on the overall film. If I wanted my intelligence insulted, I would have been watching Justice League instead of Star Wars. Also, no, TLJ isn't supported by logic or the existing lore. It shits on both, thoroughly.

So we can chalk it up to brand loyalty as to why it gets a pass from many for these offences?

7 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

So we can chalk it up to brand loyalty as to why it gets a pass from many for these offences?

In as far as we can chalk up the negative reviews to simple contrarianism, sure. Either argument is a sweeping generalization of the issue.

1 minute ago, Muldoon said:

In as far as we can chalk up the negative reviews to simple contrarianism, sure. Either argument is a sweeping generalization of the issue.

But is it "simple contrarianism" if a high proportion of viewers have reported similar grievances with the film? Obviously the film has a lot of crippling problems that have upset a lot of people because a. they care about these movies a lot, and b. these problems could have been avoided.

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Say, ever make To me, that is the biggest plot hole-when did the storm trooper armor change and when did they stop calling them blasted clones (BTW stormtroopers sounds way better).

The clone thing maybe, but how is a change in uniform a "plot hole"? Nobody explained why Starfleet uniforms changed every so often.