Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm going to be on the edge of my seat during this film...with my head between my legs, trying not to throw up.

Than why watch it?

Curiosity. I'm not going to pay for it. I'll wait til it's on tv for free. Might be a year, but I'm not bothered. The score is the solo thing I'm interested in. And that's mostly because of Williams' involvement.

I wont pay to see the film, but I'll definitely get the limited edition Solo: A Star Wars Story toothbrush and Toothpaste ultra Millenium Falcon set with bonus Solo: A Star Wars Story matching Toothbrush holder.

I need to complete my collection.

21 hours ago, Holko said:

The trailer ostinato is based on the Singham theme: 

Damn lol how do you even know that song and how did you think of it.

I more think it might be based on Led Zeppelin.

12 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

The actor who plays Solo may look the part ...

Is that what people think of him? That he looks like a young Han Solo?!

Is that real or fan made?

It's much better than all the previous posters and marketing

10 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

My guess is Woody turns out to be the bad guy.

Duh

On 4/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, Demodex said:

Why wouldn't it be?

People have been pissin' on this movie from the beginning, no help from all of the production woes that have been swirling around. But with some of the footage, coupled with Powell, Williams, and an interview with the Kasdans saying they didn't set out to write an origin story per se,  but rather an adventure with their favorite character, and this might be the first Star Wars spin-off I see.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any "What's the point of being invested in this? We know Han Solo will live in this story so he can die later!". I assume there are posts like that out there, I'm just pleasantly surprised that isn't the norm, as it's merely the inherent problem one has with prequels. 

You can feel tension in a scene (or a film) even if you know the end result.

I think the reason people feel that we don't need a Han Solo movie is that it has very little to do with the overall story of the series. Like it or hate it, Rogue One did tie into the greater story. This film, other than featuring certain returning characters, doesn't.

Its kind of like The Phantom Menace, at the time, not pushing the narrative forward.

13 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Honestly, pushing the plot forward in cases like that seem more redundant than having a one-off with returning characters.

Where than is this feeling coming from of "we don't need a movie about young Han Solo" if not from its place (or lack thereof) within the whole story?

Its telling that they do use the Empire and the conflict in the Galaxy as a backdrop to this story. While the story of Star Wars will inevitably become more episodic (in the sense of films that don't have a unifying sense to them), its still strongly tied to its main story.

That's what I'm saying!

I, personally, find no point in this series outside of the main episodes. If it were set up from the outset as an episodic series (think, Indiana Jones) than I wouldn't mind it being an anthology.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I, personally, find no point in this series outside of the main episodes. If it were set up from the outset as an episodic series (think, Indiana Jones) than I wouldn't mind it being an anthology.

What point does the main series have that you feel the stand alones lack?

As it currently stands, the main episodes are the series. The spin-offs branch off of it. But where Rogue One at least looped back into the story, Solo doesn't seem to be doing that. It just has characters that come into play in the other films. But the story is more than just the characters that populate it.

That's the difference between a unified story told in multiple installments, and an anthology.

Just like a film establishes its own internal rules in the opening, so too does a film series. Had Star Wars began as an episodic series (in the sense of an anthology), as Marvel has, than I'd be perfectly fine with it. But it didn't.

I get people want new things out of Star Wars, but its important to distinguish flexibiltiy with infinite malleability. Film series can't be inifinitely malleable, or they'll lose what makes them what they are.

Otherwise, what's stopping you from slapping the name "Star Wars" over, say, an earthbound, contemporary domestic drama?

Ah, so the setting is the connecting tissue?

But the setting - no matter how intricate or well realised - is just that, the setting, over which the actual narrative happens.

Disney realizes that, and that's why their first spinoff was tightly woven into the overarching story of Star Wars, and even now they at least base their spin-off on more than a few familiar characters. A shared setting is, in and of itself, not enough.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Just like a film establishes its own internal rules in the opening, so too does a film series. Had Star Wars began as an episodic series (in the sense of an anthology), as Marvel has, than I'd be perfectly fine with it. But it didn't.

I get people want new things out of Star Wars, but its important to distinguish flexibiltiy with infinite malleability. Film series can't be inifinitely malleable, or they'll lose what makes them what they are.

Otherwise, what's stopping you from slapping the name "Star Wars" over, say, an earthbound, contemporary domestic drama?

Meh, that's a straw man. There is sliding scale here, it's not all so black and white.

Is an "earthbound" "contemporary" domestic drama Star Wars? NO. That would seem to violate both the "Long time ago" and "galaxy far, far, away" thing. That's absurd.

But does a movie about a guy named Han Solo, and a guy named Lando, and a Wookie named Chewy, and a ship called the Millennium Falcom flying around in space shooting blasters being chased by the Empire all set to John Williams (or Williams inspired) music qualify as being "Star Wars"?  I'd say yes. 

Well, yes, that takes care of contemporary. I was only considering the earthbound part. 

If Star Wars wants to make a movie of the Rebel Alliance coming to Earth to meet dinosaurs, that would satisfy so many childhood nostalgic urges, I wouldn't know where to begin.