Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

7 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Also, I cannot seem to find it, but Ron Howard's brother Clint is going to be in Solo. Check his Twitter I guess (Ron's). 

Balok? Finally, the ST-SW crossover everyone wanted! Tranya for everyone!

Hmm. Interesting, but not a record. Wasn't ST:TMP scored, just six days before its premiere?

I didn't know that Howard shot 80% of it.

$150,000,000 domestic, on its opening w/e? Don't think so.

Clint Howard has appeared in every Ron Howard film, I think.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

The Episode films should stop at 9. There's something off-putting about an Episode X-XI in 2030 with none of the original heroes (barring Chewy and R2) and no John Williams. It's the Skywalker saga, after all, and Kylo Ren doesn't appear to be heading towards a 'redemption' arc like his grandfather.

Did Darth Vader appear to be heading that way already in Empire Strikes Back?

I personally don't see why it needs to be kept to Skywalkers. Seems limiting.

Nothing wrong with good new heroes as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see the Skywalker line as the throughline, either, but I do think there's something to be said for stories having a defined beginning and ending. And once you've scrapped the main characters of the series and changed the premise - is it really a continuation of the same story if all that's connecting it to the previous films is the setting, peripheral characters and maybe some of the iconography? I say not. That's the stuff of spinoffs.

Besides, even if it were one story, there's only so much of it you can tell before it becomes a bit boring. I was already starting to feel saturated when The Force Awakens ended.

And to me, a "redemption" arc will be a cop-out. It was going to be a cop-out even just after seeing The Force Awakens. I don't want a character that has commited onscreen patricide to be redeemed. Besides, there's a lot of satisfaction to be wrought from seeing a villain meet his end. 

31 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I don't see the Skywalker line as the throughline, either, but I do think there's something to be said for stories having a defined beginning and ending. And once you've scrapped the main characters of the series and changed the premise - is it really a continuation of the same story if all that's connecting it to the previous films is the setting, peripheral characters and maybe some of the iconography? I say not. That's the stuff of spinoffs.

Weren't those serials Star Wars was inspired by pretty very nearly without end?

I wouldn't know since I'm far too young, but that's what I understood of it.

32 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Besides, even if it were one story, there's only so much of it you can tell before it becomes a bit boring. I was already starting to feel saturated when The Force Awakens ended.

That'll be a definite challenge for Disney to avoid!

Not sure if they can, but I'll enjoy seeing them try.

I suppose that's also why The Last Jedi had to turn things on its head.

33 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

And to me, a "redemption" arc will be a cop-out. It was going to be a cop-out even just after seeing The Force Awakens. I don't want a character that has commited onscreen patricide to be redeemed. Besides, there's a lot of satisfaction to be wrought from seeing a villain meet his end. 

How about Vader who personally killed younglings?

That moment wasn't envisioned during Return of the Jedi, where Vader was redeemed, and it wasn't depicted on-screen (which is what film is all about) until Revenge of the Sith. It was an afterthought. It doesn't inform Vader's redemption.

And there's a difference between that, heinous as it is, and killing a beloved, recurring character like Han Solo.

18 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Weren't those serials Star Wars was inspired by pretty very nearly without end?

I wouldn't know since I'm far too young, but that's what I understood of it.

Star Wars may be inspired by serials, but it isn't a serial.

Actually, serials are but one of many things that inspired Star Wars. It also pulls from Westerns, foreign Samurai films, from Abrahamic religious narratives, from fairytales and myths, from The Lord of the Rings, from the Wizard of Oz, from science fiction films, etc. It certainly doesn't evoke serials in the way that, say, Indiana Jones does.

And with the later episodes, it went further and further down its own path, developing into something fun, but nevertheless grandly scaled and even somewhat impactful. That's certainly what it is nowadays.

58 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That moment wasn't envisioned during Return of the Jedi, where Vader was redeemed, and it wasn't depicted on-screen (which is what film is all about) until Revenge of the Sith. It was an afterthought. It doesn't inform Vader's redemption.

Still, Vader had been pretty evil for the prior two films, no?

59 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

And there's a difference between that, heinous as it is, and killing a beloved, recurring character like Han Solo.

For the viewer's emotional attachment, perhaps.

But objectively speaking, wouldn't multiple young kills outweigh one older man?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Star Wars may be inspired by serials, but it isn't a serial.

Not yet. But I expect it will become one.

Actually, serials are but one of many things that inspired Star Wars. It also pulls from Westerns, foreign Samurai films, from Abrahamic religious narratives, from fairytales and myths, from The Lord of the Rings, from the Wizard of Oz, from science fiction films, etc. It certainly doesn't evoke serials in the way that, say, Indiana Jones does.

From what I understand, the main reason for the first film being "Episode 4" was to invoke the idea that you dropped in the middle of a long serial where you just hadn't seen the earlier episodes.

Same logic with the opening crawl, which I understand was also common in those serials.

And with the later episodes, it went further and further down its own path, developing into something fun, but nevertheless grandly scaled and even somewhat impactful. That's certainly what it is nowadays.

Very true. It went past its many inspirations and influences and became its own thing.

25 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

For the viewer's emotional attachment, perhaps.

But objectively speaking, wouldn't multiple young kills outweigh one older man?

But this is a film. The viewer's emotional attachment is what matters, not the internal logic of this world.

What Ren did is worst - from a cinematic, audience-oriented point-of-view - than anything Darth Vader has ever done, certainly in terms of the first three Star Wars films.

He doesn't deserve redemption.

But this is a film. The viewer's emotional attachment is what matters, not the internal logic of this world.

Aren't the films supposed to show what happens in that world?

I wouldn't primarily consider the viewer's wishes when coming up with a story and I think neither do the filmmakers.

Why did Vader deserve redemption anyway?

Or perhaps he did NOT deserve it; he just got it by making his first right choice in a long time.

My reason for not wanting to see Kylo Ren being redeemed is that we've already seen that story and I'd like to see something new instead.

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The world is built around the story and in order to serve the story, not the other way around.

They go hand in hand, I would say. Can't have one without the other; certainly not in an iconic setting like Star Wars.

Personally, when watching, I don't mind imagining it is a real time and place.

17 hours ago, Chen G. said:

What? Made for TV Ewok films?! Nothing cinematic.

But oh well...

I guess I'm just generally less taken with episodic stories.

If TV films are included, then the Holiday Special is a spin-off of sorts.

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Kylo Ren doesn't appear to be heading towards a 'redemption' arc like his grandfather.

What?! Kylo Ren will be villainous right up until the end where he realizes the consequences of his path to the dark side. I think he will be redeemed.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nah. In the next installment, Hux kills Ren right after the opening crawl.

Putting a twist on top of the twist that was a twisted twist in the first place?

The Russians would probably be very happy with that!

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

What?! Kylo Ren will be villainous right up until the end where he realizes the consequences of his path to the dark side. I think he will be redeemed.

Not a chance, especially not after The Last Jedi.

Unless of course Chris Hartwell has his way:

*shudders*

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

The Episode films should stop at 9. There's something off-putting about an Episode X-XI in 2030 with none of the original heroes (barring Chewy and R2) and no John Williams. It's the Skywalker saga, after all, and Kylo Ren doesn't appear to be heading towards a 'redemption' arc like his grandfather.

Well technically there won't be a Skywalker in IX either. Thanks Rian Johnson.

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well technically there won't be a Skywalker in XI either. Thanks Rian Johnson.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Luke will be a main character in IX. His final line of dialogue is the hint of things to come.

21 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well technically there won't be an Obi-Wan in V either. Thanks George Lucas.

Well technically there won't be a Yoda in VIII either. Thanks Richard Marquand.

Well technically there won't be a Skywalker in XI either. Thanks Rian Johnson.

10 hours ago, Holko said:

Balok? Finally, the ST-SW crossover everyone wanted! Tranya for everyone!

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/04/ron-howard-shows-us-his-brother-clint-in-solo-a-star-wars-story.html

Here's the story.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Luke will be a main character in IX. His final line of dialogue is the hint of things to come.

We'll see.

Hints of things to come in TFA didn't stop RJ from going his own merry way.

Good one @Nick1066

Just bear in mind that the main saga is supposed to be about the Skywalker clan.

Not Obi-Wan.

Not Yoda.

;)

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

Kylo is a Skywalker descendent. 

He doesn't carry the name though. Nitpicky much? Yep.

IMG_20180423_210625_edit.png

He sure looks the part in that shot.

17 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

He doesn't carry the name though. Nitpicky much? Yep.

IMG_20180423_210625_edit.png

He sure looks the part in that shot.

That's the only shot where he does.

12 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Actually, if any droid could claim that name, it would be Goldenrod.

Star Wars: The Goldenrod Strikes Out

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nah. In the next installment, Hux kills Ren right after the opening crawl.

This would actually be pretty cool.

I mean, not right after the crawl, but for Hux, instead of one of the heroes, to kill Ren. Kind of like Stauffenberg trying to assassinate Hitler.

As others have said, Abrams is in no way bound to stick to Johnson’s hinted version of Rey’s backstory, or lack thereof.

A casting call went out for Mara (Luke’s wife from the Thrawn books), so, it may turn out Luke will have have sired Rey after all.

1 minute ago, Pellaeon said:

As others have said, Abrams is in no way bound to stick to Johnson’s hinted version of Rey’s backstory, or lack thereof.

A casting call went out for Mara (Luke’s wife from the Thrawn books), so, it may turn out Luke will have have sired Rey after all.

Link?  I doubt Mara will be in the movie, and I really hope Rey isn't related to anyone from the OT. 

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/04/exclusive-star-wars-episode-ix-seemingly-casting-a-major-expanded-universe-character/

Hey, they introduced Indy’s dad in the third movie, why not Rey’s mom?

With General Leia and Vice-Admiral Holdo (and presumably Mon Mothma?) dead, they need a non-ingénue female character to round out the cast. Seems legit. On the one hand, it seems likely they’ll give their character a different name, and are just using Mara as inspiration; on the other hand, why not patch in to the built-in fan interest?

The other thing is that Thrawn is alive after REBELS, so, I have to assume they’ll do a TV or movie adaptation of his big post-RotJ campaign (Jakku notwithstanding), which means Mara Jade will be woven into the tapestry of the new Canon anyway.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And then it turns out Hux is a Skywalker! Oh man, we have something great going here - let's phone JJ Baby!

No, Hux is actually Darth Sidious and BB-8 has Snoke's head inside!

You know I'd take every "rumor" with a grain of salt.

18 hours ago, Richard said:

Hmm. Interesting, but not a record. Wasn't ST:TMP scored, just six days before its premiere?

I didn't know that Howard shot 80% of it.

$150,000,000 domestic, on its opening w/e? Don't think so.

Clint Howard has appeared in every Ron Howard film, I think.

Well almost everything. He wasn't in any of the Langdon films, or Willow among others. I'm quite glad he has a role in Solo, though.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Still, what's so unsatisfying about what happened in the movie that someone would feel their DeviantArt posts are better? What would be more dramatically satisfying? 

That she’s a Skywalker, duh.

The full weight of the authorial/directorial intent evident in TFA suggests she is.

A malicious, unreliable character within TLJ suggests she is not.

Your honor, we rule in favor of Kasdan and Abrams!

10 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

That she’s a Skywalker, duh.

The full weight of the authorial/directorial intent evident in TFA suggests she is.

A malicious, unreliable character within TLJ suggests she is not.

Your honor, we rule in favor of Kasdan and Abrams!

I would hate to give any credit to Johnson, because it would likely be done in spite of him, but it would be a cool parallel to have evil Ren/Ben lie to Rey about her parentage in terms of the good Ben lying to Luke about his.