Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

4 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I fully expect Abrams to keep her origin what it is. She doesn't have to be a Skywalker, and the whole cave sequence in TLJ doesn't make any sense if she is. 

I thought it dovetailed nicely with my favorite theory, which is that she is a clone. A clone of Luke, made from his hand.

5 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Is that revelation about her parents the reason fans hate TLJ so badly and want it decanonised and retconned?

I’d say if you liked the way things were headed in TFA, you might have been disappointed with many 90º and 180º turns in TLJ.

8 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Is that revelation about her parents the reason fans hate TLJ so badly and want it decanonised and retconned?

Part of the problem is that Kennedy said from the start that the episodes would be a continuation of the Skywalker family story.  Ben/Kylo is an okay character, but if this trilogy comes down to him being the reason the story exists, it will make for a weak 8 hours.  Thus, Rey being a Skywalker is our only hope (see what I did there) of a non-pointless continuation of the Skywalker narrative.  and yes, it may turn out to be pointless either way. 

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Part of the problem is that Kennedy said from the start that the episodes would be a continuation of the Skywalker family story. 

I didn't even know Kennedy said that, so this tidbit never really mattered to me.

I now just think of Rey as the "other" Yoda mentioned in ESB (always in motion is the future). That's OT connection enough for me.

Or Maz’s “That lightsaber was Luke’s, and his father’s before him. And now, it calls to you!”

Or the whole trailer with “The Force is strong in my family.”

And by the way the “other” of ESB was intended to be Luke’s sister, who was not Leia but another character who would pop up in Eps.7-9. If Rey is Luke’s clone, then she’s genetically his sister. ☑

1 minute ago, Pellaeon said:

Or Maz’s “That lightsaber was Luke’s, and his father’s before him. And now, it calls to you!”

And by the way the “other” of ESB was intended to be Luke’s sister, who was not Leia but another character who would pop up in Eps.7-9. If Rey is Luke’s clone, then she’s genetically his sister. ☑

If you're going to take intentions as divine law over results/execution...

2 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

You lost me at the Luke's clone part.

It’s just one theory, that she was cloned from Luke’s severed hand.

1. She has her Force vision when “reunited” with the lightsaber.
  2. In the vision she is on Bespin, and falling.
  3. The vision also zooms in on Luke’s mechanical hand, i.e., the fact of his severed hand
  4. When she reunites with Luke at the end, the shots focus on her hand, the lightsaber, and Luke’s mechanical hand again.
  5. She possesses Force training at a level which requires an explanation—at the level of Luke circa ESB
  6. She functions narratively as a clone of Luke

It’s just as impressionistic sequence of the film. It’s not meant to be taken literally beat-for-beat. Mostly it’s to set up Rey’s rivalry with Kylo.

Well, we won't know until Episode 9 anyway. Kylo might have been lying about Rey's parents to feed in to her fear of being a no one from nowhere. Or he was telling the truth and Rey's story is free of the restrictions of being a Skywalker.

Either way, I'm a happy Star Wars fan :)

8 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I now just think of Rey as the "other" Yoda mentioned in ESB (always in motion is the future). That's OT connection enough for me.

Rey wasn't even born yet. The other that he spoke of was Leia.

Not that drastically. You think Yoda wanted to wait 30 years to train Rey to defeat Palpatine?  The other has to be Leia. 

He said there IS another. Not there may be another one a long time from now. 

1 minute ago, Demodex said:

Not that drastically. You think Yoda wanted to wait 30 years to train Rey to defeat Palpatine?  The other has to be Leia. 

He was happy to wait 20 years for Luke. Time doesn’t seem to have been important for Yoda. It was all about being ready to take on Palps. 

14 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Rey wasn't even born yet. The other that he spoke of was Leia.

He didn't speak about Leia, much less about Rey. He spoke of another as just that - another. Who that other actually is was to be decided later. And when the time came to decide, George Lucas (who this time was a co-writer, rather than just outlining the bare bones of the story of the film) coped out to "well, in Empire we had a surprising reveal of a hitherto unknown familial connection between two established characters, and that turned out great; let's do it again! I l know! We'll make Leia Luke's sister!"

Hands down, one of the worst narrative choices of the entire series, and certainly the one that solidified this stupid expectation for everyone in this universe to be related.

Only in retrospect. In 1980 - it wasn't.

If you want me to give a damn about the "canon" than better put the work to actually make it feel cohesive and not like its being made up on a whim as you move along.

It doesn't matter who it was in 1980!  It was revealed in ROTJ that it was Leia. That's all that matters!

Leia is the other Skywalker.  Rey is not a Skywalker. 

Yoda said "there is another" in response to Ben's statement that Luke was their "last hope", not "the last Skywalker".

Luke's assertion that he's not "the last Jedi", followed by a cut to Rey is a pay-off to that exchange in ESB, since Leia never really worked out as "another" anyway.

50 minutes ago, Demodex said:

It doesn't matter who it was in 1980!  It was revealed in ROTJ that it was Leia. That's all that matters!

It matters when, in watching the series, it feels contrived.

45 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Luke's assertion that he's not "the last Jedi", followed by a cut to Rey is a pay-off to that exchange in ESB, since Leia never really worked out as "another" anyway.

It doesn't feel like genuine payoff because you just know that when Kasdan wrote the "set-up", he didn't have that payoff in mind. Makes it feel all the more contrived.

All this "Kylo is lying to Rey about her lineage" is nonesense. Its made very clear that she feels he's right, through The Force. Frankly, Rey should never have been a Skywalker. It would only make this universe feel extremly small, and put this story in a box that we've explored all  too well.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

It doesn't feel like genuine payoff because you just know that when wrote the "set-up", they didn't have thay payoff in mind. Makes it feel all the more contrived.

Sure but that's what happens when you have a 40 year old franchise stewarded by different people.

5 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Yoda said "there is another" in response to Ben's statement that Luke was their "last hope", not "the last Skywalke."

In ROTJ he tells Luke there is another Skywalker. I guess he died before he could add , "And 30 years from now there will be another person that could be trained if the Empire is still around."

Nothing about all this seems contrived. I'm sorry the fan boys got all butthurt by Rian Johnson. Wait, no I'm not. 

21 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Anyways, haters, you won't like this: http://www.slashfilm.com/han-solo-sequels/

So if he is in more movies, where does Solo leave off and begin for these to fit in to an Adventures of Han Solo series or something?

Is he talking about a Boba Fett movie? Wow. So many possibilities. 

To show you how meaningful to the development slate a "three picture deal" is - everybody from Rogue One also signed on for a three-picture deal, despite the fact that they all :microwave:

It's basically blockbuster boilerplate at this point.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

To show you how meaningful to the development slate a "three picture deal" is - everybody from Rogue One also signed on for a three-picture deal, despite the fact that they all :microwave:It's basically blockbuster boilerplate at this point.

I think I might want to see another Rogue One before I see another Solo, but I haven't seen Solo

Here's hoping that Solo will be pretty much the Star Wars movie where we have the most fun (in a certain way). This is the only one that can really get away with a joke every scene. I hope it will fulfill my thoughts as an action/sci-fi/comedy film, all to a certain degree. And from the trailers, I would say that is about what we can expect.

In terms of how people don't like the humour in TLJ: Mr. Abrams, on IX...

Image result for bilbo baggins face twitch

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

In terms of how people don't like the humour in TLJ: Mr. Abrams, on IX...

I wouldn't worry.

If there's something Abrams knows how to do well, its humor. The Force Awakens is quite funny, actually.