Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I''ll bet Darth Maul pops up in the inevitable Obi-Wan film.

Darth Maul doesn't know that Obi-Wan is on Tatooine until he tracks him down on Star Wars Rebels (season 3).  It's possible that Obi-Wan had some further run-in with Maul OFF of Tatooine, I suppose.

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if we see these characters pop up again. 

That said, if it made a billion, of course there would be a sequel.

I couldn't help falling asleep when the first hour was so boring and the movie was so dark. You weren't supposed to fall asleep during that section? It seemed designed so that the train explosion wakes you up for the actual entertainment. My theory is that they were just stuck with all that bullshit at the beginning and decided to salvage it.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Here's an article about the cinematography and the role projectors play in making things hard to see.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/solo-star-a-wars-story-theatre-projection-problems-bradford-young-1201969989/

Ironic considering Star Wars was the franchise to introduce sound and projection quality control to cinemas worldwide.

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To achieve this, just don't watch the 3D version, and then go to the toilet at the beginning of the film.

I'm going to get the Blu-ray release and then turn the brightness on my TV up to the max. Then I'll hit play and go to the bathroom, come back around 40 minutes in.

43 minutes ago, Holko said:

Ironic considering Star Wars was the franchise to introduce sound and projection quality control to cinemas worldwide.

Since THX isn't involved with these movies anymore, they've taken a steep dip quality wise.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Honestly, even pre-digital, big chains have had problems keeping their exhibition consistent in quality.  I worked at a big chain theater for almost a decade, and as a projectionist for half of that.  Projectors and auditoriums would be serviced by techs, at best, once a year, and management would just futz with things (or turn things off) otherwise when there were problems.

32 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The new SW movies are ugly. The spinoffs especially look awful.

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Last Jedi is absolutely gorgeous, vibrant space opera imagery

127D6AD2-79C5-4A05-8C59-86DDB2383FF0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The new SW movies are ugly. The spinoffs especially look awful.

Couldn't disagree more. TFA, R1, and TLJ are very attractive films with quality visual effects and cinematography. I imagine all three will still look impressive many years from now.

If you're looking for ugly Star Wars movies, look no further than the prequels.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My fever is up above 102 now, waiting on ibuprofen to really kick in, so take everything I say with that knowledge in mind

Hang in there, Stu!

A few of my thoughts watching the film:

-I really enjoyed the economy of character building and dialogue in this film. Characters often have a line or action that has three lines within it; that's something I know Lawrence Kasdan is often concerned with, and I was happy to see that on display here.

-I didn't have any issues with the lighting here, so maybe the projector was just better in this auditorium.

-The music was really dynamic, and really gave the movie a dramatic, kinetic heft. Kudos to Powell!

-Screw L3. (not in a Lando way, though). At least the characters didn't share her gung ho and combative attitude, and it does have a payoff in the mines. I'm gonna sweep the whole brain upload thing under my mental rug. Also, what was the whole pansexual Lando thing about? Are people talking about robosexuality as a part of his orientation?

-On the subject of L3's actions in the mines, the film had a nice sense of escalation: I love all of these incidental little things that just snowball into some ridiculous all-out action scene. 

-I also am a big sucker for all the weird, goofy creatures and costumes that are all over the movie...Han Solo is a street rat working for some giant worm lady? Awesome!

Overall, I appreciated that I could enjoy this film as an actual movie, and not just "a Star Wars story". The fact that it was set in Star Wars almost seemed incidental. I see a lot of people say that the movie is inconsequential, which from a certain perspective is true (no Star Wars quote images, Jerry). But that kind of stuff isn't why I watch movies. I remember reading a bad review of one my favorite Deep Space Nine episodes, the one where Sisko's trapped in some dimensional thing and connects briefly with his son throughout various junctures in his life. Absolutely beautiful episode, and the person's major criticism? That at the end of the episode they pressed the "reset button". I found Solo interesting and enjoyable within in its own scope, and I don't need some master multi-film arc with overlapping continuity to consider this kind of movie "worth it".

29 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Also, what was the whole pansexual Lando thing about?

It’s not in the movie. Some interviewer was trying to generate buzz, and asked Jon Kasdan if Lando was pansexual. What is he supposed to say, NO?

16 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

It’s not in the movie. Some interviewer was trying to generate buzz, and asked Jon Kasdan if Lando was pansexual. What is he supposed to say, NO?

If he had cojones!

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

LOL!

They photoshopped the weapons out of the posters for international markets

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79624

From the comments in the article:

Now Han looks like he just had a wet fart. 10/10.

Indeed!

Anyway, I doubt these posters were used in many countries other than those with oppressive regimes.

22 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

A few of my thoughts watching the film:

-I really enjoyed the economy of character building and dialogue in this film. Characters often have a line or action that has three lines within it; that's something I know Lawrence Kasdan is often concerned with, and I was happy to see that on display here.

-I didn't have any issues with the lighting here, so maybe the projector was just better in this auditorium.

-The music was really dynamic, and really gave the movie a dramatic, kinetic heft. Kudos to Powell!

-Screw L3. (not in a Lando way, though). At least the characters didn't share her gung ho and combative attitude, and it does have a payoff in the mines. I'm gonna sweep the whole brain upload thing under my mental rug. Also, what was the whole pansexual Lando thing about? Are people talking about robosexuality as a part of his orientation?

-On the subject of L3's actions in the mines, the film had a nice sense of escalation: I love all of these incidental little things that just snowball into some ridiculous all-out action scene. 

-I also am a big sucker for all the weird, goofy creatures and costumes that are all over the movie...Han Solo is a street rat working for some giant worm lady? Awesome!

Overall, I appreciated that I could enjoy this film as an actual movie, and not just "a Star Wars story". The fact that it was set in Star Wars almost seemed incidental. I see a lot of people say that the movie is inconsequential, which from a certain perspective is true (no Star Wars quote images, Jerry). But that kind of stuff isn't why I watch movies. I remember reading a bad review of one my favorite Deep Space Nine episodes, the one where Sisko's trapped in some dimensional thing and connects briefly with his son throughout various junctures in his life. Absolutely beautiful episode, and the person's major criticism? That at the end of the episode they pressed the "reset button". I found Solo interesting and enjoyable within in its own scope, and I don't need some master multi-film arc with overlapping continuity to consider this kind of movie "worth it".

This. 

The script was quite good, as far as SW goes. 

I'm sure the lighting is relative but what the hey.

The score empowers each scene, some more than others of course but it does it's part.

L3 is a love-hate character for me. The side theme of droid rights was fun, but I don't understand how some droids have such personality and others don't (yes, I get about restraining bolts but L3 was more of a character than many humans in the franchise).

Love the creature effects. Nice job Neal Scanlan.

An excellent summary. And look! I have a reputation!

Moved the huge sequel trilogy / Kathleen Kennedy / SJW / etc discussion over to the other thread; This one's jut about Solo now!

It is believed that those issues are what drove this film’s reported poor box office performance. But you’re right that it was too great of a diversion. We didn’t need those posts.