Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I dont see why its so awful. 

It isn’t awful, just embarrassing. This series has made well upwards of a billion dolars per each of its three entries thus far, and is expected to do the same with its fifth entry, as well. Even before the Disney era, these films always performed very, very well.

I never imagined Solo doing as bad as it did.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I never imagined Solo doing as bad as it did.

The non-existent fans who hated The Last Jedi probably aren't surprised.

3 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Kathleen Kennedy can't get away with this. Shoot her! Or something!

We were once Star Wars fans. We couldn't assassinate anyone. It is not in our nature.

15 hours ago, Muldoon said:

The non-existent fans who hated The Last Jedi probably aren't surprised.

13 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

No, we’re not. :pfft:

Wrong thread. 

Just saw the movie again.  I'm almost positive now that Williams wrote the swelling french horn statement of Han's theme where he 

Spoiler

returns the coaxium (can't remember whether or not this is a spoilers-allowed thread)

If not, it's one of the best impressions I've heard, very much in line with his pastoral "War Horse" sound.  The conclusion with the woodwinds is particularly Williamsy.  

Did you just see it, @King Mark? I felt very similarly to you: I thought it was a very good film, and not just in the "it was a fun time for two hours" way that a good amount of people seem to lump it under. Probably the most consistently good film with Star Wars in the title since...well, since Empire.

The cameo was dumb, I don't get it at all.

yes, it felt like it had a real compelling story. I and I loved the conflict within Qi'ra. She played her role with a lot more depth than Leia,Rey,Jyn Erso or whatever..

On 6/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, Chen G. said:

Didn't Powell say that Williams spotted the film and wrote variations on his themes to be used in specific cues?

On 6/23/2018 at 12:41 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Just saw the movie again.  I'm almost positive now that Williams wrote the swelling french horn statement of Han's theme where he 

Reveal hidden contents

If not, it's one of the best impressions I've heard, very much in line with his pastoral "War Horse" sound.  The conclusion with the woodwinds is particularly Williamsy.  

i'm sure Williams probably helped out with a few cues in an uncredited way. I think he did with the love theme.also the last 15 seconds before the end Credits

The cameo was cool because it was designed to make you look at Star Wars wiki when you get home to see how it was possible

On 6/30/2018 at 5:57 AM, King Mark said:

The cameo was cool because it was designed to make you look at Star Wars wiki when you get home to see how it was possible

You just named the one thing films aren't supposed to do.

8 minutes ago, hornist said:

I have heard couple of the cues in Youtube, still terrible synth percussion and the new one was the Adiemus choir☺ no wonder the film never succeeded!

I bet Ron Howard and Kathleen Kennedy are thinking 'Dang it! If only we hadn't used that choir, this movie would be makin' the big bucks!'

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You just named the one thing films aren't supposed to do.

I think that was his point, Chen.

On 7/1/2018 at 5:51 PM, Arpy said:

I bet Ron Howard and Kathleen Kennedy are thinking 'Dang it! If only we hadn't used that choir, this movie would be makin' the big bucks!'

John Williams: Where did you learn that terrible percussion!?

John Powell: I learned it by watching you!

John Williams (gasps in anguish): W-What have I done..

On 6/23/2018 at 3:10 PM, Chen G. said:

Didn't Powell say that Williams spotted the film and wrote variations on his themes to be used in specific cues?

Yeah, he definitely made it sound like Williams actually scored rough cuts of certain scenes. I think that unreleased "War Horse"-y cue definitely could be one of those and the odds seem pretty good that the end of "Dice and Roll" is him too. Also the portion of "Reminiscence Therapy" that cribs from "Adventures of Han" with the scherzo thing could have originally been part of his stab at whatever they had pieced together for the Kessel Run. The extra little transitions in that section that aren't in the concert piece also sound particularly Williams-y to me, but could be Powell.

Not convinced JW had anything to do with the score outside of Han's Theme variations. 

• 2 months later...
Spoiler

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/09/08/solo-a-star-wars-story-darth-maul-scene/

The Solo Maul scene has been officially released along with photos of Maul.

Image result for darth maul soloImage result for darth maul solo

I feel like he's gotten slightly chubbier in the face.

Ray Park has said that he has "a lot of great ideas" for Maul's future. I wouldn't mind a movie.

EDIT: If you really cared you would know by now but thanks @Nick Parker for calling me out. I thought it had been long enough.

Just now, John said:

I still maintain that the Maul scene at the end of Solo is the worst thing these new Star Wars movies have done. Take it out and boom, you’ve just made the movie 10x better. 

More spoilers! 

But yeah, @Jerry, you have a point.