Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

RON. HOWARD.????!!!!!

455eb16e93d685b1a529b1eee949d8a90c09fede2004c48ef479f6b725c3acd7.jpg

Seriously, the patron Saint of mediocre directors helming a Han Sol movie? Ugh.  This is almost as bad news as if Spielberg were directing it, and only slightly better news than if they brought Lucas out of mothballs to do it.

Well, we can be sure of two things. One, it won't suck. Two, it won't be great. It will be a competently executed, technically proficient and entirely forgettable mediocrity like every other Howard film.

And prepare yourself to learn how Han got the Millenium Falcon, met Chewie, met Lando, made the Kessel Run, said "I have a bad feeling about this" the first time and started wearing only b&w clothes. All on the same day.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

And prepare yourself to learn how Han got the Millenium Falcon, met Chewie, met Lando, made the Kessel Run, said "I have a bad feeling about this" the first time and started wearing only b&w clothes. All on the same day.

And you didnt think they were gonna do this when the directors of the Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street were directing? It seems like Howard will respect the script as written more than the 2 sacked hacks will.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And you didnt think they were gonna do this when the directors of the Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street were directing? It seems like Howard will respect the script as written more than the 2 sacked hacks will.

Oh, no doubt. And I think Howard's movie will likely be a step up from what Lord/Miller would have produced, which I was convinced was going to suck. Howard goes up from suck.

That said, I wonder about tone. Didn't I read that 3/4 of principal is already done? Sounding a lot like Superman II. Will we see the "Lord/Miller comedy cut" in 20 years?

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So if this is a step up, than I dont understand your earlier post. 

What's not to understand? I said Howard was a mediocrity.  Lord and Miller would have sucked. So Howard's a step up from that. I didn't shed any tears when I heard L&M were gone, but Howard would not have been my first choice to step in.

That said, if Howard brings back Madmartigan & Sorsha, I'm on board!

Howard sounds just right for a movie like this actually. Mediocre? Sure. But I don't see how this film can be anything but, regardless of who directs.

At least we will get a Zimmer score out of it. I hope Hansu uses some western elements,

Zimmer sounds more classy these days (at least when he's doing a Nolan flick). Of course, Star Wars is Star Wars and so he has no choice but to go full throttle in the symphonic action music department. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Howard sounds just right for a movie like this actually. Mediocre? Sure. But I don't see how this film can be anything but, regardless of who directs.

Perhaps you're right about this, maybe Howard's perfect for it.

I'll have to reconsider my opinion.  

Zimmer doesnt really do symphonic though. But Star Wars is from the 70's. He could use his prog-rock style and it might work.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

Perhaps you're right about this, maybe Howard's perfect for it.

I'll have to reconsider my opinion.  

Ultimately these are producers films. Even a big name like JJ didnt have final cut. It doesnt really matter all that much who's directing.  

Eventually RCP will develop robots that can compose to the level of Bryan Tyler Bates on their own and that'll be that. 

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

shutterstock_42883318_friendly_robot-100

"Hello. I am JW-1138. I will write the music of the new Star Wars movie, Episode XXXIII. May our collaboration be fruitful."

*5 seconds later*

"There. It is finished."

Probably still better than Rogue One!

When news that Lord & Miller were leaving, I started wondering how I'd feel if Disney surprised everyone and named Lucas as the director (not that they'd be crazy enough to do such a thing). 

Obviously I quickly came to the conclusion that this would be a very bad idea, but I did decide that I wouldn't mind seeing Lucas return to the galaxy he created, under very limited circumstances:

1. It would have to be a non-saga film. Lucas had his chance to continue the Skywalker story and blew it. 

2. It could not involve any existing characters or situations. He's done enough damage in that area as well.

3. It would have to be a stand alone, "Star Wars Story" with limited canonical impact and not directly tied to any ongoing storylines.

So with an entirely new set of characters in situations that have little to do with what going on in the rest of the galaxy, I think it would be interesting to see what Lucas came up with.  Otherwise he can stay far, far away.

18 hours ago, RPurton said:

I thought Williams had said it was a theme for Han?

Yeah, he did, in the Tavis Smiley interview before TFA. Although it was an offhand remark. 

I definitely think he would be fine using that theme for Han in this film if he was on board. 

From newer reports it seems it was actually Lord/Miller who were turning the film into an improv comedy/farce that deviated heavily from the script and the pair balked at demands from Kennedy to stick to Kasdan's script.

If so, this was the correct decision! Han Solo isn't a comedy character, he's a sarcastic, charming rogue! And disobeying Kennedy? WTF were L&M thinking?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/more-han-solo-exit-details-as-howard-talks/

6 hours ago, Will said:

Yeah, he did, in the Tavis Smiley interview before TFA. Although it was an offhand remark. 

I definitely think he would be fine using that theme for Han in this film if he was on board. 

It is an absolutely outstanding theme and one Williams' best but it's a heavily romantic theme. It can represent Han's relationship with Leia but it can't represent him alone and his exploits. It's much too romantic for that.

Han's theme would be for lack of a better word a manlier theme. Representing Han with the Love theme would be like representing Indy with Marion's Theme.