• Announcements

• Jay

Donation time at JWFan   01/16/18

Hello!

For those who may not know, JWFan relies entirely on donations to keep running.  Donations pay for our server bills, as well as keeping our domain and Invision Powerboard fees.
      As an incentive to donate, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Last time this was a modest success, where I raised $500 of our desired $1,000 and mailed out 3 free CDs to lucky JWFanners.  This time I'll be doing the raffling a littler different!   Our goal is $1000 once again, and I will have four tiers of free CDs you can win once again.  But this time, the more you donate, the more entries into each raffle you'll get!   Each $10 you donate gets your name put into the raffle mug once for the $10 pool, twice for the $20 pool, thrice for the $30 pool, and five times into the $50 pool.  Here is the list of CDs you can win - and I have more to add at a later time when I get a little more organized (I'll post what they are by Friday at the latest)   The $10 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you one ticket into this pool) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $250 donated Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   The $20 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you two ticket into this pool, must donate at least $20 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $500 donated John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $30 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you three ticket into this pool, must donate at least $30 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $750 donated James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $50 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you five ticket into this pool, must donate at least $50 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $1,000 donated Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Jay

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

I think the problem is that this is that a movie about Han Solo not featuring Harrison Ford is just that not enticing.  I had zero interest in it.  Williams's involvement has increased the interestometer to about 10%.  

I suppose my point, if I have one, is that a run-of-the-mill synopsis does nothing to excite me given the low antecedent interest. 

Well, it could have been about Han Solo being raised as a prince in a palace (that's why he can imagine quite a bit of wealth in Episode 4). But then they find out that he's a bastard and he gets expelled from paradise. The movie ends with the Jabba taking Solo under his wing.

End Titles

It's hilarious that they couldn't come up with anything more substantial this close to the release. They are still doing reshoots but my God, there must be some footage out there to edit into a little teaser!? Madness. And the weird half-leaking of that photo, which they didn't even properly acknowledge as the official promo art but now is going around as the only image associated with the film. Four months until release!

That said, I'm one of those people who despises over-saturated marketing campaigns that make me feel like I've seen the movie before it ever comes out (and thus make me disappointed with the familiarity of most films when I do see them). So, maybe I'll end up really really enjoying Solo!

They were avoiding crossing The Last Jedi and Solo's marketing due to the weird December/May schedule.  Ron Howard says the trailer is coming soon.  If recent history holds, I'd expect it to premiere during a football game or - since the timing is right - during the Super Bowl.

I like it better this way.  Marvel is advertising Avengers 3 with a trailer full of Black Panther characters I know/care nothing about, because that movie doesn't premiere until February.  Their February-May window is even tighter than Star Wars', though.

Still don't have particularly high hopes for this - reaching for "fun."

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

They were avoiding crossing The Last Jedi and Solo's marketing due to the weird December/May schedule.  Ron Howard says the trailer is coming soon.  If recent history holds, I'd expect it to premiere during a football game or - since the timing is right - during the Super Bowl.

I like it better this way.  Marvel is advertising Avengers 3 with a trailer full of Black Panther characters I know/care nothing about, because that movie doesn't premiere until February.  Their February-May window is even tighter than Star Wars', though.

Still don't have particularly high hopes for this - reaching for "fun."

Yeah. And like I said, I am all for going into a movie without being bogged down by too much marketing. In fact I deliberately haven't even watched the Infinity War trailer because I don't need to be advertised that, I'm going to see it regardless, and I would rather see it as a completely fresh experience.

But marketing can also be a way to kind of shape the narrative - and the Solo narrative is notoriously bad at this point. It is on the marketing campaign to change that as best they can. It just speaks to their uncertainty in this project that they can't come up with anything more solid at this point. I understand that the Last Jedi was kind of in the way due to the May-December thing, but by now TLJ was released a month ago - and Solo doesn't even have a real poster yet. Or a synopsis that makes it sound as if they have any idea what the movie is ACTUALLY going to be!

The movie is coming out in four months and the Regular People have no idea that it exists.  That’s no joke.  Tons of non-Internet-nerd people asked me after TLJ came out what was next and were surprised when I told them.

Not sure if that’s a better or worse omen of box offic than behind the scenes tumult, tbh.

Even my diehard SW fan friend whom I saw all 3 new movies at the cinema with was shocked to find out a week ago that this is coming in May, not December.

When it comes to behing-the-scenes intrigue, Solo > Alien 3 > Superman II.

That should make for one hell of a tell all doc in 20 years.

Somebody call J.W. Rinzler.

Except Disney will never allow it.

;)

I'm surprised Lucasfilm hasn't capitalised on the success of TLJ and posted a teaser at the end of that film to generate Solo buzz and boost TLJ ticket sales towards the end of it's run.

LOTR did that for TTT when FOTR was still in theatres.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm surprised Lucasfilm hasn't capitalised on the success of TLJ and posted a teaser at the end of that film to generate Solo buzz and boost TLJ ticket sales towards the end of it's run.

LOTR did that for TTT when FOTR was still in theatres.

I was full sure this was going to happen. 

I wonder if they'll end up delaying this one until December after all (which is frankly what they should have planned all along), and that's why there's no marketing for the film right now.

Normally at this point I'd say that's a given what's going to happen considering the substantial reshoots and mess this whole thing has become, but with a Star Wars film there are always so many cross promotions with car companies, fast food restaurants, etc, all of which no doubt have already included Solo has part of their Spring/Summer marketing strategy, so it might be a little late in the game to do that. But who knows.

I would not be surprised if it got pushed back.  The pity is they decided to make this one in the first place.  I don't know a single Star Wars fan who thought a young Han Solo movie was a good idea.

11 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I would not be surprised if it got pushed back.  The pity is they decided to make this one in the first place.  I don't know a single Star Wars fan who thought a young Han Solo movie was a good idea.

Indeed!

I'm not opposed to long-running film series, but still, some things are better left to the imagination of the viewers, especially when they don't have anything to do with the main narrative thrust of the series.

Rogue One, for all its flaws, had a clear connection to the conflict at the heart of the series and has a clear position in the narrative order of the films. Solo, on the other hand...

30 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Indeed!

I'm not opposed to long-running film series, but still, some things are better left to the imagination of the viewers, especially when they don't have anything to do with the main narrative thrust of the series.

Rogue One, for all its flaws, had a clear connection to the conflict at the heart of the series and has a clear position in the narrative order of the films. Solo, on the other hand...

Yeah agreed on this. What do you think of the potential Obi-Wan movie? Because it seems there is a vocal base that really wants this. In theory it is the same idea as doing a Solo film (pick a popular character, fill in the blanks in their personal narrative). It wouldn't add much to the overall story. However, fan response is much more enthusiastic. 

Possibly it's the idea of bringing back the wonderful Ewan McGregor, as opposed to the idea of a Han Solo film sans Harrison Ford.

Will we get a Padme movie? About the hardships of becoming a senator, and juggling the duties of a soon to be mom, an emancipated senator, and pleasing an adolescent Jedi who can read your thoughts at home.

9 minutes ago, idril said:

Yeah agreed on this. What do you think of the potential Obi-Wan movie? Because it seems there is a vocal base that really wants this. In theory it is the same idea as doing a Solo film (pick a popular character, fill in the blanks in their personal narrative). It wouldn't add much to the overall story. However, fan response is much more enthusiastic. 

Possibly it's the idea of bringing back the wonderful Ewan McGregor, as opposed to the idea of a Han Solo film sans Harrison Ford.

I'm not too enthusiastic. I mean, unlike Solo, an Obi Wan film would have a clear spot in the narrative order of the films, but it still wouldn't have anything to do with the overarching conflict of the series.

Also, adding all these films that are supposed to be nestled between episodes III and IV, is kind of counter-productive to a marathon viewing because you watch the set-up to the original Star Wars, and than take a two-film detour with Rogue One and this Obi Wan movie before returning to the main story.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'm not too enthusiastic. I mean, unlike Solo, an Obi Wan film would have a clear spot in the narrative order of the films, but it still wouldn't have anything to do with the overarching conflict of the series.

Also, adding all these films that are supposed to be nestled between episodes III and IV, is kind of counter-productive to a marathon viewing because you watch the set-up to the original Star Wars, and than take a two-film detour with Rogue One and this Obi Wan movie before returning to the main story.

Yeah, I think it would be ideal to expand on a different time period. Preferably long before the prequels are set. That way you would have whatever trilogy setting up backdrop that is quite distant and then you could kind of move into the Skywalker saga.

Again, if its not a part of the main conflict that drives the series, it shouldn't exist.

Even The Phantom Menace has very little to do with the narrative of the series, so to have another film set before that one?