Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

1 minute ago, Pellaeon said:

For my money, they should have titled the movie “Han Solo and the [x]”, with no “Star Wars” mentioned everywhere.

Wouldn't that have been the same mistake as removing "of Mars" from "John Carter?" 

3 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

For my money, they should have titled the movie “Han Solo and the [x]”, with no “Star Wars” mentioned everywhere.

I suggested this on these very pages when the film was announced. Though I still would have included "A Star War Story".  I was told that it would be to Indiana Jonesish. Anyway, Disney didn't listen.

For my money, these nailed it:

solo.jpg

The covers, the titles, the stories. You know right away when Ben and Luke run into him in a shady bar that he’s about to find himself in the wrong genre. He’s in Star Wars but not of Star Wars.

18 minutes ago, Woj said:

The late Brian Daley wrote the Star Wars radio dramas. 

Yes, all quite excellent, too.

I hope someday they do a TFA radio drama that fixes TFA the way Daley fixed Star Wars.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Where than is this feeling coming from of "we don't need a movie about young Han Solo" if not from its place (or lack thereof) within the whole story?

Its telling that they do use the Empire and the conflict in the Galaxy as a backdrop to this story. While the story of Star Wars will inevitably become more episodic (in the sense of films that don't have a unifying sense to them), its still strongly tied to its main story.

I think it might come from the idea of, "You have a whole galaxy of characters, planets, conflicts, times, etc. to choose from, and you pick one of the most well-known characters from the movies who doesn't need a backstory??"

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

an interview with the Kasdans saying they didn't set out to write an origin story per se,  but rather an adventure with their favorite character

Sounds great, but unfortunately somewhat hard to believe.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I think it might come from the idea of, "You have a whole galaxy of characters, planets, conflicts, times, etc. to choose from, and you pick one of the most well-known characters from the movies who doesn't need a backstory??"

Now see THIS I agree with.

I think there are countless stories to be told in this universe, outside of the main saga.  And I think Star Wars needs to expand what it is if it's going to continue. But a Han Solo movie is not the way to do that.  Even if it's decent, it will always be unnecessary. 

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No movie is really necessary.

Exactly.

In and of itself, no movie is necessary. But within the context of a franchise...

What is it about this film's place within its franchise that makes it feel so unnecesary?

I would argue that its because Han Solo's backstory doesn't forward the plot of the franchise.

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Sounds great, but unfortunately somewhat hard to believe.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Now see THIS I agree with.

I think there are countless stories to be told in this universe, outside of the main saga.  And I think Star Wars needs to expand what it is if it's going to continue. But a Han Solo movie is not the way to do that.  Even if it's decent, it will always be unnecessary. 

Agreed on both counts, but I'm hoping that with this movie will pave the way for these future ones to have a sense of style and personality...not the most likely given Ron Howard of all people, but we'll see.

When George Lucas originally did Star Wars, he wanted it to be a big canvas for his friends to come in and do what they want with it,  and I'm hoping that this current time will be when we see the fruit of that vision. 

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

When George Lucas originally did Star Wars, he wanted it to be a big canvas for his friends to come in and do what they want with it.

When George Lucas did Star Wars, he intended to make a movie. A single, standalone movie.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I would argue that its because Han Solo's backstory doesn't forward our understanding of what going on in Star Wars.

Again, I think it might be more a matter of people just not finding the backstory of a beloved and iconic character who never needed one to be very interesting. Like how people were complaining about Prometheus because they didn't want the mystique of the xenomorph and that whole world explained.

Well, Han does lend himself to a mysterious backstory. That's another thing that bugs me in terms of this series, spin-offs and all, functioning as a marathon watch. The whole point of how Han Solo is introduced (especially prior to the "Greedo shot first" nonesense) is that new audiences are supposed to be unsure as to his allegiances, until he returns at the climax.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Exactly.

In and of itself, no movie is necessary. But within the context of a franchise...

What is it about this film's place within its franchise that makes it feel so unnecesary?

I would argue that its because Han Solo's backstory doesn't forward the plot of the franchise.

A film can be fun and entertaining without feeling necessary. Maybe we should all watch it before criticizing.

18 hours ago, Chen G. said:

When George Lucas did Star Wars, he intended to make a movie. A single, standalone movie.

I was there and I strongly remember that Lucas told the press he envisoned 9 movies and that Star Wars was actually the fourth one. 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I was there and I strongly remember that Lucas told the press he envisoned 9 movies and that Star Wars was actually the fourth one. 

Was that Lucas’ plan while he was writing and producing the original Star Wars? Hell, no. Given the film’s success, naturally sequels became an option, but they weren’t preplanned and certainly not mapped out: elements of these sequels (and prequels) existed only insofar as they existed in earlier drafts of the original Star Wars.

Most importantly,  they were supposed to have been outlined and produced by Lucas himself, not sold to another studio to make. Nor was the number nine fixed in stone. In fact, by the time Return of the Jedi took shape as a story, it essentially put Lucas’ plan for nine films to rest. Originally, the ninth film was set to be the very kind of conclusion that Return of the Jedi ended up being.

30 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Was that Lucas’ plan while he was writing and producing the original Star Wars? Hell, no.

Well, it's possible that Lucas made the whole thing up. I didn't have any reason to question his nine movie plans. Years later I've heard that he didn't have complete scipts for 9 movies but that it was more like a genral story arc with simple outlines for each episode. As far as I know, this has never been debunked, that is, untill you came along. ;)

Not even a general story arc as much as a vauge idea about what each film might be about: obviously episode 9 was to be the conclusion and was supposed to include the Emperor’s first onscreen appearance. It doesn’t go much deeper than that. Hollywood just doesn’t work like that.

And again, by the time Return of the Jedi was taking shape, this nine film plan was all but undone, because the conclusion was evidentially moved to that episode. Aptly so, I should add, as leaving the story of Luke unresolved until after three prequel films, was going to be way too much teasing.

I once heard of an old 12-movie plan which would have included 9 main story episodes and 3 "spinoffs" - one far in the past, one relatively far in the future, and one in the middle somewhere. (of course with a "hey, why not make 12 movies out of this" level of development)

I seem to recall that I, too, saw the number 12 being thrown around with regards to the talkד in the aftermath of Star Wars' success. I don’t believe that number was ever taken seriously enough to the point that it was mapped out to include such and such “main story” and “spinoff” entries and their chronology.

Even just securing the two sequels in advance was quite bold at the time, let alone a whole sextet, as the episode numbers insinuated. But nine, or twelve? poppycock. Such ideas (some would say, delusions of grandeur on the part of Lucas) were nipped very much in the bud.

The twelve movie plan was always rubbish. In fact, most of what Lucas has said on this subject has been rubbish...and inconsistent rubbish at that. Gary Kurtz has said as much.  He might have had a bigger story in mind when he made Star Wars, but it was far, far from mapped out in any detail.

That said, Lucas did talk about "spin off" movies as far back as 1980, which kind of undercuts the suggestion movies outside the main saga can't really be Star Wars.

Besides my Powell fanaticism, I'm also excited for this as I find reading discussions on the SW scores to be fascinating. Even when Rogue One came around, the hot debate as to Giacchino's merits were a continuously amusing read.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

We already had several spinoffs in the 80s.

What? Made for TV Ewok films?! Nothing cinematic.

But oh well...

I guess I'm just generally less taken with episodic stories.

53 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I guess I'm just generally less taken with episodic stories.

Star Wars is a series of episodic stories. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

At least SOLO has Paul Bettany, which I didn't know about, until I saw @The Illustrious Jerry's avatar (thanks, Jere!).

I try to watch anything that he's in, so I'll make a point of being somewhere near a cinema, around May 24th.

He looks cool. That's what matter to Jerry! No problem.

https://screenrant.com/solo-star-wars-story-wrap-ron-howard/

Post-production is complete. Also, I cannot seem to find it, but Ron Howard's brother Clint is going to be in Solo. Check his Twitter I guess (Ron's).