Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I know we don't even know the next standalone movie, but it would be seriously cool if Williams kept composing the main theme for all of them moving forwards.

That's what I was thinking from the moment it was announced Williams would write this theme: its an intriguing way for a composer to continue to leave his imprint and guide the musical grammar of a film series.

But, I really believe its more an opportunity that came up with Williams, having just finishing up The Last Jedi and with Episode IX very much on the horizon for him, to write a theme in the interim for a related project. I don't believe he'd bother with other spinoffs after he completes his nonet.

Personally I think it lends some credence to the rumours of his displeasure at Rogue One's score.

Also, Disney just desperately doing damage control on the absolute mess of a production that Solo became. Bringing Williams into the fold was a rather brilliant idea all around.

48 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Personally I think it lends some credence to the rumours of his displeasure at Rogue One's score.

Possibly, yeah.

I don't know how much Disney were pushing for this in terms of marketing. With all due respect to Williams, it isn't that substantial for the filmgoing public.

Hmmm. Well people have been talking about a Kenobi movie and if anything that seems to be the most likely to happen next in terms of standalones. A Williams Kenobi theme? I would like that. However, Ben's theme in the OT ends up being the Force theme so that might not work. Always room for more I guess.

Yeah not sure what he'd do there, considering he didn't give Kenobi a specific new idea in the prequels, mostly just relying on the Force Theme (which was originally that character's theme anyway).

But a spaghetti-western type score in the Star Wars universe would be lots of fun. Not sure what Williams would write but I'm sure he could channel his inner-Morricone. :)

If Solo is successful, they’ll keep using this cast — probably one or two more pre-Yavin “standalones,” and then a post-Endor series (Thrawn campaign?). Hey, a bit like the ST “Kelvin” series! In other words, they’ll end up getting a lot of mileage out of Williams’ new theme.

I don't think Kenobi would need a new character theme in a standalone movie. What I'd like in that case is more variations of the Force theme, some more bare orchestrations, like played on woodwind or solo strings and less french horn and full bodied brass renditions. 

Best thing to come out of this is Powell emerging as possible successor, or at least honorary composer for these movies. Though he know is branded forever as musical kiddie fodder supplier, but that's maybe not the worst place to be in.

48 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Well, people keep saying Giacchino's going to hit his prime any moment now. :P

I think it's the opposite. Gia hit his prime with The Incredibles, Star Trek, and Ratatouille. His music has gotten less and less interesting since, maybe because he is over-worked, or maybe because he has just plateaued creatively. 

Agreed, but I'll still happily listen to Fallen Kingdom (and see the movie 5-6 times).

Yes, I do selfishly wish this was the other way around (Powell scoring the franchise I actually care about and Giacchino scoring Star Wars), but I recognize and accept SW's music legacy is of greater significance than Jurassic, despite the latter having always resonated with me more both movie and music-wise. 

I still greatly enjoy Jurassic World's score every now and then and am giddy to hear the follow-up, but it's wet tissue compared to rock hard  prehysterical epic thrill ride that is Powell's Dawn of the Dinosaurs.

I would like to hear him tackle different projects - Powell - that he hasn't resort to hyping up everything to 11 because that's the way these event movies are made today. I really would like a big 'classical' drama from him, á la 'Painted Veil'.

On 4/5/2018 at 6:59 PM, kaseykockroach said:

Well, apparently not enough to be worth the ticket to see my ship!

This sentence is what is wrong with internet and nerd culture. 

It's not as though there's anything else fun going in the new Star Wars. D. Ridley and J. Boyega were adorable, and they didn't follow up on that? What a load of hogwash.

I agree with Disco Stu.

”Shipping” though is an annoying childish thing that seems to exist for teenagers to fight over on the internet.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:52 PM, mrbellamy said:

Maybe not of that much interest, but I think this is the first high-res credit block I've seen.

It's kind of neat just seeing John Williams with a credit for new Star Wars music merely 5 months after Last Jedi. Still so unexpected.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27580-john-powells-solo-a-star-wars-story-2018/&do=findComment&comment=1468386

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It makes complete story and character sense that those two needed to have separate experiences of individual growth before being reunited.

Fine, fiiine, if we MUST be logical...

Rey x Finn is notably one of the few heterosexual romances in American film I can actually stand. 

But, contemporary convention finds strong female characters being in a romantic relationship anathema, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Rey x Finn is notably one of the few heterosexual romances in American film I can actually stand. 

uh huh...

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Fine, fiiine, if we MUST be logical...

I'd rather have Rey fall for Kylo.

They coyly teased us with that in TFA's interrogation scene and TLJ's force communions. As AA Dowd noted, TLJ is really the first Star Wars film to make the dark side feel like a genuinely seductive force. I just wish Johnson had had the courage to take that love-hate tension to uncharted territory (for Star Wars). Perhaps somewhere in the vein of John Badham's Dracula--a dark romance complete with a sensual, full-blooded score from Williams. 

As it stands, the sequel trilogy is strangely chaste.

He's great as Kylo Ren. Between his performance and the editing choices, it just rides that line so well between compelling subtlety and ham&cheese. Makes for a good Star Wars character.

Two thousand and eighteen.  2018, Sharky.  How does that coincide with your post war Filmtracks conspiracy?  It's incredibly obvious, isn't it?  A foreign poster is introduced into our precious forum without the knowledge of the individual.  Certainly without any choice.  That's the way your hard core Filmtrackser works.

I was just looking at Ron Howard's IMDB and discovered that one of the earliest movies he directed was a TV movie called Skyward that stars Bette Davis as a flight instructor!

@Margo Channing are you aware of this?????

julie-erobert-den-himmel-skyward-usa-198maxresdefault.jpg

Here is the live stream of the premiere, doubt there will be anything actually interesting, but I figured it would be best to still post the link:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-first-reactions-1202806823/

Reactions from the premiere. Here are a few interesting tweets and posts featured in the article.

#SoloAStarWarsStory is reaaaaalllly good. Fun as hell. It’s a straight intergalactic heist movie, kind of refreshing to see a Star Wars movie w/o a Death Star or the rebellion’s fate at stake. Alden Ehrenreich is super impressive as Han, but L3 might be my favorite new character.

#SoloAStarWarsStory: It takes a bit for it to find its feet and for AE to turn on enough charm to make you forget he’s not HF. But once it kicks into its hey-let’s-make-a-crew and yes-also-do-a-heist stuff, it totally flies.

Solo is straight-up overflowing with winks, but lots of great action. And just when I was thinking, “There’s no way to spoil this movie,” well — enjoy that bit.

WOW! #SoloAStarWarsStory! I felt like I was watching a @StarWars movie again. So many great moments for the fans AND surprises.. I’ve got the feels after this one...MORE than #InfinityWar.

Quotes from, in order, Kevin Polowy on Twitter, Kate Erbland on Twitter, Kristopher Tapley on Twitter, and Brian Tong on Twitter.

And just when I was thinking, “There’s no way to spoil this movie,” well — enjoy that bit.

What do you think this part of that third post is about? Hmmmmmmmmm.

15 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

What do you think this part of that third post is about? Hmmmmmmmmm.

It's hard to get a read on it.  Either it means the movie is really good until it jumps the shark.

Or, it's a pretty straightforward movie but then there's a big spoilable twist in it.

Looking at whoever tweeted that's timeline may clarify.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

(It didn't)

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It's hard to get a read on it.  Either it means the movie is really good until it jumps the shark.

Or, it's a pretty straightforward movie but then there's a big spoilable twist in it.

Well, I saw this from the Slash Film dude.

"big Marvel-level shit that will make you wonder where Lucasfilm is headed next"

So clearly something weird and/or crazy happens

Just now, Fargo said:

All the early reactions are just paid PR. It's worthless to read into.

This is 100% false.  Not saying the reactions shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.  But these people are not paid by any one to have a positive reaction.