Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

36 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yeah, after 4 days. And i rather doubt 600 Mio is what they spent on this, i mean yeah, budgets have ballooned but not quite to that extent.

Remember they shot this film twice. It was probably over 200 million even before Howard. And yeah, promtional campaign can eat up same again.

On a side note, isn't it weird to be interested in box office numbers? I always thought it is bit of sad. 😄

Karol

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Funny, coming from a German. :)

I'm only half-german and please, considering the slavish nitpicking going on here that is no criteria at all.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Remember they shot this film twice. It was probably over 200 million even before Howard. And yeah, promtional campaign can eat up same again.

On a side note, isn't it weird to be interested in box office numbers? I always thought it is bit of sad. 😄

I doubt they shot it twice, as it were. But my point stands: nobody here has any real numbers or is even remotely in the position to know what the real value chain of these things is. 

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, you would know. :P

Stop Lol-ing me.

It wont make over 600 million worldwide. It will struggle to pass 500 million. As someone who doesn't care about Star Wars anymore thanks to Disney's mediocre output, I find this quite funny. 

It seems that Star Wars fans wont just mindlessly see a Star Wars movie because it's Star Wars. The fans have spoken. They want a better product, or Disney doesn't get their money.

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

It seems that Star Wars fans wont just mindlessly see a Star Wars movie because it's Star Wars. The fans have spoken. They want a better product, or Disney doesn't get their money.

I have watched it, but would be very happy if this was the case and Disney would realise and act on it.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

to be fair, other than Tomorrowland, none of them are awful

The only one of the ones I listed that’s interesting in any way!  I kinda love that movie, though.  Fascinating trainwreck.

48 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

As someone who doesn't care about Star Wars anymore thanks to Disney's mediocre output, I find this quite funny. 

I find this quite funny coming from a Giacchino megafan, the milquetoast “surface-level” composer that Disney loves to hire!

I like quite a bit of his output but I couldn’t resist

I just don't see how you recast such an iconic character that is so built on...well, character. And is so tied into the performance of the actor that created that character. This is a movie that even die hard Star Wars fans weren't even asking for.

One thing's for sure, I think this probably puts a fork in any ideas Disney might have had about someone else ever playing Indy once Ford hangs up his fedora for good after the next one.

Well he could have been perfect but he's not Harrison Ford. That's not his fault, but then why even go there when there are so many other stories to tell?

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

One thing's for sure, I think this probably puts a fork in any ideas Disney might have had about someone else ever playing Indy once Ford hangs up his fedora for good after the next one.

If anyone would make a good 'Fate of Atlantis' movie, i would be there. Franchising shit to death and putting loving winks in every three minutes instead of concentrating on strong scripts is the recipe for failure (Marvel excepted).

Alden was better than expected but it's Donald Glover makes the biggest impression in the film. Funny because the doesn't have much to do. You almost want a Lando film. Almost.

Karol

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Apparently not. 

You have to differentiate between die hard fans who basically won't be satisfied with anything, and regular fans who just are looking for enjoyable entertainment.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You have to differentiate between die hard fans who basically won't be satisfied with anything, and regular fans who just are looking for enjoyable entertainment.

I seem to fit the latter category.

You also have to differentiate between diehard fans with an open mind (like me) who don't expect anything world-changing, just something entertaining in their beloved universe (which Solo did not quite suceed in for me); and diehard fans who have no idea what they want (too much like ANH, this sucks - this isn't like SW at all, this sucks), only that whatever Disney's doing is raping their childhood and they can't look away and reread the Thrawn Trilogy in their attic or something.

I'm more of a casual fan myself.  But I think even casual fans associate Harrison Ford with that role.  And I don't think Disney really created any kind of urgency that this film was a "must see."  Which is what you have to do if you want a mega-blockbuster.

And I don't but that the lacklustre opening (relatively speaking) was due to "Star Wars fatigue".  I just think they made a film that enough people didn't feel compelled to run out and see.

Possibly. This is not an "event", after all, that you have to be in on as soon as possible, it's just a filler movie, and is advertised as such.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Possibly. This is not an "event", after all, that you have to be in on as soon as possible, it's just a filler movie, and is advertised as such.

Yeah, and Rogue One had the advantage of being the first filler movie.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, and Rogue One had the advantage of being the first filler movie.

And being directly connected in plot to one of the most popular movies of all time, possibly revealing new information about its story and changing viewer perception to it. It was exciting and was hyped enough.

45 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I think this probably puts a fork in any ideas Disney might have had about someone else ever playing Indy once Ford hangs up his fedora for good after the next one.

What next one? I was not aware of such a film.

There are only three Indiana Jones films! ;)

I can't speak for millions of people, but I like Rebellion vs. Empire and that made Rogue One feel much more vital.  Solo felt like it should've been a TV show or a novel, not a movie.  Guess I'm just not an expanded universe kinda guy.  I remember I read The Courtship of Princess Leia when I was a kid and thought it was shit.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can't speak for millions of people, but I like Rebellion vs. Empire and that made Rogue One feel much more vital.  

Agreed. I think Disney did a good job in conveying the idea that Rogue One was an essential part of the story, even if it wasn't part of the main saga.  And importantly, it didn't attempt to recast one of the iconic characters and center the movie around him.  

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There are only two Alien films in my book.

Well, three. Depending on a day. ;)

Karol

I like all the parts of Resurrection when it felt like a Jeunet film and dislike all the parts where it didn't.

16 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Agreed. I think Disney did a good job in conveying the idea that Rogue One was an essential part of the story, even if it wasn't part of the main saga.

Yeah, it contributes to the story of the series.

When it comes to serialized films, I always think - outside of the theatrical releases - how will they function when watching them at home in sequence with new audiences: kids, nephews, etc...

The issue with the premise of Solo is that, being a prequel, it undoes the tension surrounding the introduction of Han Solo in the original Star Wars: the whole idea (for a new audience) being that he is mysterious, to the point that you're:

Not sure whether our heros can really trust him or not.

Think that he is going to go off with his reward, only to be proven wrong when he returns in the very end.

23 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The issue with the premise of Solo is that, being a prequel, it undoes the tension surrounding the introduction of Han Solo in the original Star Wars: the whole idea (for a new audience) being that he is mysterious, to the point that you're:

Not sure whether our heros can really trust him or not.

Think that he is going to go off with his reward, only to be proven wrong when he returns in the very end.

This is not a problem if you watch the films chronologically with respect to when they were made.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This is not a problem if you watch the films chronologically with respect to when they were made.

Which is what I do. I like seeing the technology develop through the decades.

I know after I broke the internet with my insightful review of The Last Jedi, which you may have seen on the Blu-ray cover ("The Last Jedi is good as hell! - mstrox at JWFAN.com") you've all been anxiously awaiting my thoughts on Solo.

It was pretty fun!

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I find this quite funny coming from a Giacchino megafan, the milquetoast “surface-level” composer that Disney loves to hire!

Yeah his Disney stuff is terrible. Like UP, Ratatouille, Incredibles etc. Oh wait, they're great.