Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Dear Empire Strikes Back,

Congratulations, you're no longer the least lucrative Star Wars film!

And you're still the very best!

Gotta love the subwoofer going nuts every time Padme's breasts jiggle (bringing an unbearably loud cartoon bounce sound effect)! Which is constantly, causing the dialogue and music to be near-impossible to hear, but who cares.

8 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The babe who played Shaak Ti has a great body, but Lucas had her in big robes and clown makeup.

Aayla Secura, confusing teenage boys since 2005

Another thing I liked about Solo: it has the best blend of humor while still being invested in its drama out of the newer Star Wars movies.

9 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

All the main SW women have small boobs.

So much so that it almost feels like Daisy Ridley was in part selected for the role based on this.

Kathleen Kennedy obviously thinks that strong female characters being objects of desire is anathema, which is unfortunate.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

So much so that it almost feels like Daisy Ridley was in part selected for the role based on this.

Kathleen Kennedy obviously thinks that strong female characters being objects of desire is anathema, which is unfortunate.

"Ya got a boyfriend, a cute boyfriend?"

*spends the next two movies in pure Platonica Land*

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Earboobs?

It's all in the forehead....

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So the films would have been better if Rey and Finn boned?

Not necessarily, but it's just weird that they tease out a certain direction and then literally just drop it from existence...what were they going for?

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Not necessarily, but it's just weird that they tease out a certain direction and then literally just drop it from existence...what were they going for?

Finn is clearly stuck in the friend-zone...

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's all in the forehead....

I never got a romantic vibe at all between them.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I never got a romantic vibe at all between them.

There's no romance there, just friendship, which is fine.

Perfectly fine for there to be no romance in Rey's arc for now.  Don't think it would really work for how they set her and the story up.

18 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Kathleen Kennedy obviously thinks that strong female characters being objects of desire is anathema, which is unfortunate

They do not want to tread the ROTJ path again. 

Yeah, interesting that people thought Finn and Rey romantically involved would be anathema ("Why does there always have to be romance in these movies!?"), but having Finn and Poe as lovers sparked peoples' imaginations. They're just two amigos who bonded over a trying circumstance.

It's baffling Rey and Finn didn't get to hang together in TLJ. I know they'll be back as a duo in the next one, but doesn't it just make more narrative sense for friendship to develop and deepen in the second part, rather than skip it and save it for the third?

Is it still a flop if it has grossed $313 million (vs. a $250 million budget)?

And that’s just ticket sales. I see so many Millennium Falcon T-shirts and Han Solo (Harrison Ford) T-shirts out and about. I often think they make these franchise films just to keep people thinking about the franchise and buying merchandise.

57 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Is it still a flop if it has grossed $313 million (vs. a $250 million budget)?

And that’s just ticket sales. I see so many Millennium Falcon T-shirts and Han Solo (Harrison Ford) T-shirts out and about. I often think they make these franchise films just to keep people thinking about the franchise and buying merchandise.

It depends on how much they spent on the promotion/marketing. With a film of this size, can be from anything between $100 and to its actual budget. So it's safe to say films like that start to make money once they cross 400-500 million. And I meant "start". Solo might have made $178 million domestically but Rogue One made $440 million within the same time frame. And that film's grossing, while respectable, are not as spectacular as some other films these days. So there's all that.

Will the film make its money back? Yeah, probably. Is it enough? I don't think so.

Karol

Not likely Disney will consider Solo a financial success when it's all said and done.  I guess breaking even is better than a loss.  I'm wondering if they're going to rethink the rumored Kenobi and Boba Fett films or just release SW films in December from now on.

They’ll barely break even, if at all: not all the box-office money returns to the studio, not by a long shot.

Its not the worst bomb out there, but it’s very, very embarrasing.