Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Just now, Bespin said:

Maybe a Star Wars parsec and a real-life parsec are two different things.

They're both distance. I checked. 

In real life, parsec is a unit of distance.  In the film, there are 2 explanations: (1) Lucas accidentally used a measure of distance as a measure of time in the script - a complete mistake or (2) Han is just bullshitting, not even realizing he's using a unit of distance as if it were time.  The face Alec Guiness makes after Han says this could be interpreted to mean he is aware of Han's mistake.

Later, EU authors came up with a retcon to "officially" explain it; They invented that "The Kessel Run" is a trip that goes close to several black holes, so the closer you get to them, the shorter distance (and time) you'll travel.  So say the average smuggler would travel for 14 parsecs, Han doing it in 12 in the MF is a big deal and shows how good of a pilot he is (and how good the ship is).

You can choose to personally go with any of the explanations.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Later, EU authors came up with a retcon to "officially" explain it; They invented that "The Kessel Run" is a trip that goes close to several black holes,

Several black holes AND an asteroid field.

Seems like every other EU/Legends book, some hero is flying into and surviving an asteroid field.  Really cuts the teeth out of The Empire Strikes Back.

On 31-1-2017 at 5:55 PM, Stefancos said:

1 Parsec = 3.08567758 × 1016 meters

1 Parsec = 3.08567758 × 10^16 meters, probably? :P

Yes, I'm nitpicking the nitpicking. Don't take this too seriously. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Do droids even have a gender? And do they dream with electric sheep?

Of course droids have a gender because Threepio clearly talks about Artoo using the pronoun "he" many times in the original trilogy. 

You think so?  I think she's a bit odd looking.  You should watch WestWorld if you like her; She's probably in more scenes than anyone else and is the driving point of one of the major stories

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting that this will apparently be released in May, just a few months after Episode VIII (!!!) I wonder how the marketing will work. 

It will be very cool to get a May release as I was worrying we might never get anything other than December (however great that is!)

Somewhat surprising given what happened to Episode VIII, and, again, the proximity to Episode VIII.

Making Star Wars had reported just in early January that the film would probably be released on December 13, 2018 (http://www.slashfilm.com/han-solo-release-date/) -- which seemed to make sense. 

But I'd think this May date is here to stay. They would have announced a change by now, methinks. When the Episode VIII date changed, it was announced before principal photography started (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-episode-viii-release-date-1201684136/). 

Maybe they have some marketing strategy in which they always plan on releasing these in December but like the added publicity of announcing an original date and then getting more publicity for changing it. I guess we'll see...

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Am I wrong or does Alden Ehrenreich has the right look for Solo?

You mean hairstyle?

THat ok...

But if you meant  "look" as in "gaze" no, really not. Those blue eyes stick like a sore thumb...

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Of course it will be moved to December 2018, and of course Episode 9 will be moved to December 2019.

Yes, I know that seems to make sense, but the marketing progression kind of suggests otherwise:

- When the directors were first announced, its release date was listed in the press release as May 25, 2018.

- In three press releases in late 2016/early 2017 announcing various actors, it was listed simply as 2018.

- Now it's listed as May 25, 2018 in this latest release. This is approximately the same "relative time" that the Episode VIII date was changed. 

This seems to me almost like Disney initially decided that it would be released in May (just like TLJ was initially announced for May 26 in the announcement that Rian Johnson would be directing), then said "Wait a minute -- should we delay?", deliberated for a while, and then, unlike with TLJ, just decided to leave the date as is. Obviously there's a lot of speculation in that theory, of course. 

3 hours ago, Romão said:

I'm not so sure. They might want to avoid this going head to head against Avatar

Ah, that's probably it!

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But if you meant  "look" as in "gaze" no, really not. Those blue eyes stick like a sore thumb...

I assume they have put some brown contacts in his eyes before filming commences?

• 2 weeks later...