Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

But one must wonder if a similar approach will work for episode IX. If they're going for something more impactful with this final chapter, they'll have to tone it down a bit to make it more serious.

It isn't, but that's besides the point: do you doubt they'll actually make episode XI serious? I don't.

Like it or not, Star Wars has evolved into something more serious than its 1977 roots.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Like it or not, Star Wars has evolved into something more serious than its 1977 roots.

More expansive? Yes. More serious? No, not at all, really.

I didn't say they always necessarily pull it off all that well, but I do think that every film that has followed in the series has tried to be more serious. They may have sideplots that were meant to be of a more comedic nature (Ewoks, Jar Jar, Canto Bight) but the films' themselves always attempted to be serious.

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

A good answer.

Ok, here's another one, for ya: how long had it been since Luke tried to kill Ben? How long had Luke been on Ahch-To?

I'd guess 10-15 years or so. Isn't Ben like 30 now - makes him about 15-20 years old when it happened.

The exact date hasn't been defined.  It takes place after the novel Bloodline, so Kylo was at least 23.  Wookieepedia basically says, any time between 23 and 29 y.o. (any time between Bloodline and The Force Awakens.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Destruction_of_Luke_Skywalker's_Jedi_Temple

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kylo_Ren

I don't remember anything about Luke taking the map with him. I guess he just gave it to Tekka for safekeeping because he trusted him not to give it up and it was worthless without R2's piece or the full Imperial Archives anyway.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

I don't remember anything about Luke taking the map with him. I guess he just gave it to Tekka for safekeeping because he trusted him not to give it up and it was worthless without R2's piece or the full Imperial Archives anyway.

How did Tekka get it? Maybe he was a teacher at this academy?

According to the Wiki, he was an underground Jedi fanboy, collecting all kinds of relics and info about the old ways, making him useful to the New Republic and especially Luke. Maybe he only allowed Luke to look at his map piece but the deal was that he would keep it. He may have even been the one to take it from the Imperial Archives, making the First Order's map incomplete. But when things started turning dark, he decided to contact the Resistance and give his piece up for the greater good.

I don't think Luke took anything with him.  Luke went to "the most unfindable place."  Rumor was, it was the site of the first Jedi temple.  TFA was about people who heard that rumor finding that site.  They had an incomplete map from the Imperial archives.

Not sure how the map became incomplete, or how LST got the piece.  Maybe it wasn't a "piece of the map," but an alternate Jedi-owned map that, when overlayed in the context of the larger Imperial map that people already had, would fully direct them to that planet.

Marvel's POE DAMERON 1-26 show the entirety of Poe's search for LST, up through the beginning of TFA.  I don't remember if it got more into the nature of the map or not.  My guess is, between the TFA novelization (which I haven't read), the Poe comics, and the TLJ novelization (which I haven't read), a clear in-universe picture for it is out there.  For the purposes of the movie, I was always satisfied enough with "this map is needed to find the McGuffin (Luke)."

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I don't think Luke took anything with him.  Luke went to "the most unfindable place."  Rumor was, it was the site of the first Jedi temple.  TFA was about people who heard that rumor finding that site.  They had an incomplete map from the Imperial archives.

Not sure how the map became incomplete, or how LST got the piece.  Maybe it wasn't a "piece of the map," but an alternate Jedi-owned map that, when overlayed in the context of the larger Imperial map that people already had, would fully direct them to that planet.

Marvel's POE DAMERON 1-26 show the entirety of Poe's search for LST, up through the beginning of TFA.  I don't remember if it got more into the nature of the map or not.  My guess is, between the TFA novelization (which I haven't read), the Poe comics, and the TLJ novelization (which I haven't read), a clear in-universe picture for it is out there.  For the purposes of the movie, I was always satisfied enough with "this map is needed to find the McGuffin (Luke)."

I'm a little confused. The academy of Luke's wasn't on Ahch-To? What?! That hut that Ben was in in the flashback was the same one as the ones on Ahch-To! 

3 minutes ago, Demodex said:

No, the academy was not on Ahch-To. If it was that would have been the first place people looked to find him.

Wow. I'm cut to the heart.

Spoiler

Image result for han solo jakku gif

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm a little confused. The academy of Luke's wasn't on Ahch-To? What?! That hut that Ben was in in the flashback was the same one as the ones on Ahch-To! 

Yeah, they should have made the two more distinct. It does resemble Luke’s Island, but clearly we’re supposed to understand that they’re not the same. Otherwise the story of both films would make zero sense.

Just judge the film based on its cinematic verve: the plotting, directing, editing, structure, production value, characters, drama, action, setup/payoff, etc...

To be honest, the only way I wouldn't watch it in the cinema was if the marketing was really, really, really bad. The marketing we have is just really bad.

23 hours ago, Holko said:

I'm slowly starting to warm up to the idea of this movie. I could be fun.

23 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Excellent. You're responding to their promotional material exactly as Disney expects you to.

Everything is proceeding as The Mouse has foreseen.

I am anticipating it to be a very fun movie to take in. I'm for it! To heck with the Mouse. I care no matter what Mickey wants me to think.

Hmmmmm.

Ron Howard Calls Solo A Different Type Of Star Wars Film

“The Star Wars universe that we see in Solo is different than anything we’ve seen in any of the Star Wars movies. The Empire controls everything, everyone is struggling to survive, but we discover this incredible free spirit."

Isn't this exactly the plot of every film in the OT?

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

Hmmmmm.

Isn't this exactly the plot of every film in the OT?

Yes, but the Empire is supposed to be at their height here, and plus that "free spirit" is Han Solo, so yeah.

Support this initiative from Lucasfilm and Solo: A Star Wars Story. Fun.

New TV spot. Just realized Lando was never really able to say "Han" properly. This looks so fun, fun, fun. Cannot wait, score and movie!

Probably indeed wasn't, but I figure it's Star Wars so it'll be sold out for awhile if I don't pre-order. And then I'd have to read spoilers about how it turns out Qi'ra's character falls in love with Chewie (I'd ship it).

17 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I saw TFA in theatres but it was not by choice. 

Rey x Finn was my favorite thing about it, so I didn't bother with TLJ since they don't interact very much.

Fixed.

Maybe not of that much interest, but I think this is the first high-res credit block I've seen.

It's kind of neat just seeing John Williams with a credit for new Star Wars music merely 5 months after Last Jedi. Still so unexpected.

bfmnubtpz4w01.jpg

I know we don't even know the next standalone movie, but it would be seriously cool if Williams kept composing the main theme for all of them moving forwards.

Even a suite of new themes for Rian's new trilogy, just to set things in motion, would be a cool gesture. I think he'll be finished writing entire Star Wars scores after IX, as he's plainly indicated.