Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

42 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Lobbing specific criticisms at a movie you haven't seen is

I've said "so I'm told". I'm not making my mind outright until I get to see it.

It was the same with Rogue One.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I found the narrative of Solo quite focused.

It was but it was boring as fuck for the first 45 minutes. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It literally put me to sleep. Not even White Men Can't Jump could save it

What I find weird is that before I saw Solo, I kept hearing people say how slow and boring the first act is. I actually found it quite the opposite; I thought it went a little too fast, and there was too much going on for a while there. The second act (after the train heist) finally slowed down a bit.

Pan-sexual, actually.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I have an intellectual interest in film, but in terms of actually going to see films, I'm much more of a casual filmgoer: I only see a select couple of theatrical releases a year.

Meaning you're constantly commenting on films you haven't actually seen.

Well it didn't do as well as other SW movies. I don't think it needed to. They have plenty of money so the box office slide isn't too big a deal. They'll make two times as much back with IX for sure.

Since I only watch each SW movie once (other than the ones I really love), it might as well be in theaters. There’s nothing like a starry sky on a nice big screen.

Only 8 million box office for friday. Ouch ouch ouch this is tanking enormously. How embarrassing. I've got nothing personally against the film, as I'm not interested in seeing it, but man that is pathetic. Pretty much no one is seeing the film, anywhere in the world.

On 01/06/2018 at 6:36 PM, Stefancos said:

“Solo” is an entertaining movie, with engaging performances, vivid production design, and enthralling action sequences. It’s also distressingly forgettable—it’s about nothing

I feel this way about all the new Star Wars movies though. And people here consider me a mystery guts over it.

When Harrelson introduces Han and Chewie to Vos, it sounds exactly like Woody Harrelson talking about the characters outside of the film. 

Came back from the theater...need to go night-night soon so I'll share more of my detailed thoughts later, but I'll say for now...

Fun film! Enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. It actually had a human core, and felt like it was written by a human who's actually experienced things in life.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Garrett is a Star Ware fan: he likes both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. He doesn’t have much good to say about Solo:

https://letterboxd.com/gstiger/film/solo-a-star-wars-story/

Thankfully the movie's not really about that sort of thing he disses (most of the "see how this happened?" stuff flies by pretty casually, without there being too much of a deal about it).

Saw the film this weekend - it was an enjoyable adventurous romp, I didn't expect any more, and had a lot of fun. Contemplating a second viewing. For me the score did really elevate it, being allowed to tell the story musically, which these days is nice to see.

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Officially a flop. I guess Disney can stick a fork in those Solo trilogy plans.

There are numerous mentions from pre-release (i.e. pre box office) interviews where they mention that there are no plans for a sequel.  That was always just a fan rumor.

http://www.slashfilm.com/solo-reveal-explained/  This is Ron Howard. The link has spoilers, but the quote:

I was like…  I looked to my friend who was with me at the World Premiere, I was like what the…?  Yeah…

Ron: In a good way?

In a good way. It was an exciting reveal.

Ron: Okay, good.

‘Cause I expected this film to be like a kind of like a one and done prequel film, not something that would further the Star Wars mythos or tease a future we didn’t already know.

Ron: Right.

And then when that came on, I was like this is kind of like a Marvel thing where they’re like hinting to where they’re going.  It was fun.

Ron: That wasn’t really the intention, but I’m glad it did that because maybe it’ll suggest more.  Who knows?

Yeah.  Would you come back for more if they–?

Ron: I would never say never, I just don’t know what’s going on at Imagine.  And by the way, there’s no plan.  So that wasn’t a step toward sequels. 

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/exclusive-interview-solo-director-ron-howard-on-how-rush-and-bullitt-helped-inspire-the-newest-star-wars-movie-753179

Ron Howard again, in response to the "news" that franchise stars get locked down to multi-picture deals.

Fandango: There were reports that came out recently saying that Alden [Ehrenreich] signed on for three movies as Han Solo. Does this film sort of set up the possibility of further adventures down the line?

Ron Howard: I think the fans are going to define all of that. I mean I think that Lucasfilm and Disney in casting actors, and particularly younger actors, want to see what happens and build upon that. Certainly, they want the commitment from the young actors, but there are no concrete plans. I think there's been a lot of creative energy and now marketing energy going behind this movie.

I think these are exactly what they're meant to be, or what they're designed to be. They're single movies exploring the galaxy; but of course, as a company, I think they're going to be very interested to see how people respond to it and take it from there. This whole thing is kind of a cool, ambitious exploration of what the galaxy and the Star Wars sensibility can continue to mean to fans.

I'm sure there won't be direct sequels now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the characters pop up here and there - novels, comics, TV shows, as bit parts in other Star Wars Stories.

5 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The negative reaction and low box office numbers make it so tempting for me to love it...but I just can't convince myself it was good.

Maybe you'd like it better if you didn't sleep through it.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'm sure there won't be direct sequels now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the characters pop up here and there - novels, comics, TV shows, as bit parts in other Star Wars Stories.

I''ll bet Darth Maul pops up in the inevitable Obi-Wan film.