Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

14 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Oh. Wait.

I just remembered.

HarrisonFord.jpg

967.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fi

Yes, i can see it...twin brothers sepparated at birth.

No even the same eye color. I hope they put him in a good make up rubber mask or do motion capture.

Otherwise...if Disney wanted to do a space pirate film, why in the hell did they had to use han solo? Arent' these anthology film supposed to exist because they want to expand upon the star wars universe outside the skywalker family?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The rumor - not even confirmed -  is that the actor is signed on for three movies.  It's probably true.  This is a savvy business move by Lucasfilm and nothing more.  This way, they secure the actor at his current asking price, as opposed to his asking price after the first movie rockets him to fame.

The fact that there's a "Han Solo trilogy" is pure speculation based on the above rumor.  Maybe there will be a sequel and threequel - I'm sure Lucasfilm would love that.  Maybe he'll costar in a Lando movie down the line, or a Boba Fett movie, or some other planned spin-off.  Or, maybe the Han Solo movie won't be well-received and he'll be one-and-done in spite of that contract.

No.

On 7/7/2015 at 4:32 PM, Jay said:

And Trank's replacement is the directing team of Christopher Miller and Phil Lord - the directors of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, The LEGO Movie, 21 Jump Street, and 22 Jump Street

And it's a Han Solo movie, with a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan!

http://www.starwars.com/news/christopher-miller-and-phil-lord-to-helm-han-solo-anthology-film

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

The rumor - not even confirmed -  is that the actor is signed on for three movies.  It's probably true.  This is a savvy business move by Lucasfilm and nothing more.  This way, they secure the actor at his current asking price, as opposed to his asking price after the first movie rockets him to fame.

The fact that there's a "Han Solo trilogy" is pure speculation based on the above rumor.  Maybe there will be a sequel and threequel - I'm sure Lucasfilm would love that.  Maybe he'll costar in a Lando movie down the line, or a Boba Fett movie, or some other planned spin-off.  Or, maybe the Han Solo movie won't be well-received and he'll be one-and-done in spite of that contract.

What are the chances that any of those "extra three movies" would put him in the role of Indiana Jones instead?

There's a rich sideline in Lando, Chewie, Fett, the Falcon and the 'scum of the universe'. It would be weird for them to cast him as Indy too, though.

I wouldn't want the same actor playing Han Solo and Indiana Jones.  The two characters are pretty different and have two different energies.  They cast whatshisface because he could embody Han Solo.  They will recast Indiana Jones with somebody who can make that character work.

I'm kinda thinking they'll just keep Mark Mothersbaugh....either that or I sense Michael Giacchino could finally get his call. Anyway, a Han Solo misadventure would be way more in his wheelhouse than something like Rogue One or the saga episodes IMO. Presumably it would require the least gravitas, plus for some reason I feel like he'd gel really well with Lord/Miller's sensibilities...they would totally be the type to love his track titles ;) and you know Gia would have eaten up The LEGO Movie.

Hmmm, yea I could see Giacchino getting this gig.

BTW, I wonder what JJ Abrams next feature film he'll direct will be?  Seems odd he hasn't picked anything yet.  Presumably Giacchino will score that, but who knows now that they haven't worked together since 2013...

I doubt Williams will have any interest in scoring another film for JJ Abrams.

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm kinda thinking they'll just keep Mark Mothersbaugh....either that or I sense Michael Giacchino could finally get his call. Anyway, a Han Solo misadventure would be way more in his wheelhouse than something like Rogue One or the saga episodes IMO. Presumably it would require the least gravitas, plus for some reason I feel like he'd gel really well with Lord/Miller's sensibilities...they would totally be the type to love his track titles ;) and you know Gia would have eaten up The LEGO Movie.

I'm really curious to see just how much freedom Disney will allow for the directors they choose. They let Edwards keep his collaborator in Desplat, but he's a critically acclaimed Oscar winner. If they let Lord and Miller bring on Mothersbaugh, I'd be truly impressed with their studio decision making. I also wondered the same scenario with Johnson and Johnson, but it appears Williams was planned to score the main episodes from the beginning.

It's obviously just a different thing with Williams and the saga episodes, there's all this sentiment tied into it and the fact that it's still a continuation and not a reboot. Creatively bold though they may be, it's kind of hard to imagine either of the Johnsons having much interest in kicking John Williams out of Star Wars when he would love to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan Johnson becomes involved with 8 in some capacity, though, contributing a source cue or various textures in the sound design or something. Could be cool to see what he would bring to it.

It would be very interesting to know hypothetically who would be chosen if something were to prevent Williams from doing 8. I guess we can assume that Giacchino would likely be on deck for 9 with Trevorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not want to see a non-Williams composer required to use a theme written by Williams, as though they are incapable of it themselves.  Insulting idea.  These spinoffs should be the playground of new people.

Yeah, I agree. If Williams had a really strong idea for a standalone Han Solo theme besides Han/Leia, he certainly would have used it by now. And if he really wanted to do this score, he would let them know. He's certainly not shy about putting himself out there for a project if he feels strongly about it, as we've seen with Memoirs and Book Thief. 

It would be neat to hear hypothetically what a young Han theme from Williams would even be, but I couldn't even imagine what those conversations would sound like in reality, asking JW to pull out a major character theme that he's apparently never considered before in 40 years for a score he's never going to write, then bringing this to their new composer....reminds me of the speculation around VII when people were seriously suggesting things like Williams writing tunes for a Giacchino score, or Gia taking on a "Star Wars apprenticeship" during Williams' composing period. Pretty silly.

Well, you all remember when Williams bafflingly used the Star Wars main theme numerous times when Han Solo turns up in TFA. I always thought that was Luke's theme, but it isn't even used when he shows up at the end. I think someone probably reminded him of the existence of Han Solo and the Princess, which is the only reason it was in that one. If Williams were consulted about a Han Solo theme, he'd probably just be like, "Use the Star Wars main theme! Now, really, I must get back to relaxing in my air-conditioned house!"

On 8/11/2016 at 8:44 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

I would not want to see a non-Williams composer required to use a theme written by Williams, as though they are incapable of it themselves.  Insulting idea.  These spinoffs should be the playground of new people.

At the same time, though, it would be really strange to have someone other than JW write Han's theme. If JW has no involvement with the picture then the composer may end up writing a theme for Han themselves. Of course, there could also be no new theme for the character.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:17 PM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Well, you all remember when Williams bafflingly used the Star Wars main theme numerous times when Han Solo turns up in TFA. I always thought that was Luke's theme, but it isn't even used when he shows up at the end.

I think once the prequels rolled around, the utility of "Luke's theme" changed.  There is no logical reason for it to appear anywhere in the prequels (except the last five minutes of ROTS), but there it is prominently underscoring Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon walloping battle droids, etc etc etc.  I've come to consider it just "the Star Wars theme," or "the adventure theme" now.

I'd say it was the other way around.  It was more of a generic main theme in SW, then more of a personal theme for Luke in TESB

There was a lot of "Luke's theme" underscoring at the Lars Homestead, including Luke's first scene.  So I think it always had an underpinning with that character, but frankly it was probably because he was the "hero" of Star Wars, so it kind of always just functioned as a main theme.

I never considered it Luke's theme until I read liner notes that called it that.  Until then it was just the Star Wars theme.

I agree - it dually functions as both Luke's theme and the "Main Theme".  Many themes in these scores serve dual functions like that.

Indeed, very wisely stated.

It's kind of the opposite situation of Giacchino's Star Trek scores, where every heroic deed by any good guy is almost always scored by the main theme

On 8/13/2016 at 3:17 PM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Well, you all remember when Williams bafflingly used the Star Wars main theme...when Han Solo turns up in TFA.

And ESB..