Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

A lot of deleted scenes, don't think any of them would have made the movie better in any way. Mostly scored with a hodgepodge of cues and alternates, most interesting is the extended Mimban battle scored with an adaptation of a portion of the Williams track not used anywhere else in the score from around 5:42.

Just now, crumbs said:

Had literally 2-3 scenes in the final cut. Bizarre they went to the trouble to recast him.

Perhaps in the future the technology will catch up and Ron Howard can realise his original vision for the character.

3 hours ago, John said:

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this movie. Not bad, but very bland and forgettable. 

I can't believe Honest Trailers didn't incorporate the "So-Low" pun.

This movie was just asking for it. From day one.

Solo’s box office performance was so-low!

Solo’s Rotten Tomatoes score is so-low!

Solo’s lighting and color grading is so-low!

John Powell’s score for Solo was mixed so-low!

The chances of a Solo sequel happening are so-low!

The bonus material has virtually nothing interesting in it. Maybe I've been forever spoiled by the Appendices, Empire of Dreams, the Alien Quadrilogy 9 disc set and such, but most of these featurettes for newer films are not interesting at all. I think I finally pinned down why - they're not focusing on being informative, but are only trying to sell you the movie - which, by that point, you've already blood seen! 

There's absolutely nada about Kessel and the Maw (which could have been great, hearing how they drew inspiration and pulled back a prominently featured planetoid from Legends), no word on Lord and Miller (big shock), virtually nothing about preproduction and script development. Oh, there's a 6-minute featurette on the Kasdans, but all they talk about is how they're father and son which is sometimes hard but not always. Nothing on how they got story ideas, how it developed, who brought what, just "Yeah, this is dad." "Yeah, son. I like Han."

Oh, and L3's actress hopes she will be an inspiring character. Bleh.

The only new-era Star Wars movie that has had any worthwhile special features  (not just PR fluff) besides the mixed bag of deleted scenes is The Last Jedi.   I found the main TLJ documentary, “The Director and the Jedi,” to be very worthy of those LOTR docs in particular.  It focuses mainly on production and leaves out a lot of pre- and post-, but it is a good doc that mainly has fly-on-the-wall footage combined with interviews that are more warts-and-all (so much so that people use them as fuel for their dumb YouTube videos against Rian Johnson)

Your mileage may vary on the doc based on whether you’re one of the people who ended up hating Rian Johnson though

Funny because both Solo and Rogue One would be very worthy of an Alien 3 type documentary explaining what went wrong during production. 

Unfortunately those types of revealing documentaries take years to happen (basically once everyone involved is retired or working for another studio) because nobody wants to jeopardise their career by being brutally honest. 

On 9/25/2018 at 2:53 PM, John said:

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this movie. Not bad, but very bland and forgettable. 

Prepare for a movie adaptation of Han Solo's wookieepedia page!

• 8 months later...