Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

On 1/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, petaQ said:

Han likely had a mentor when he was a junior Imperial officer. Assuming Legends canon gets adapted. 

It won't. 

Han Solo Production to Shoot at Spain's Canary Islands?

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/han-solo-production-to-shoot-spains-canary-islands/

If you're super, super spoiler averse, don't open, of course! Although the only spoilers deal with very general location info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo implies on Twitter that Harrelson misheard or didn't know what the person was asking.  So a bit of a reach for Slashfilm to call this "confirmed" in an article that also quotes one of Pablo's tweets.

I've been very slowly reading through the "Legends" catalog by release date, and am in the middle of this Han Solo trilogy.  In those books, Garris Shrike runs a sort of criminal orphanage, with a bunch of laughable Oliver Twist references.  Han escapes in chapter 2, losing his parent figure (a Wookiee named Dewlanna) in the battle.  Shrike plays no part in the bulk of the book - does not reappear and does not affect the main plot (which is about a Hutt slavery/spice ring).  At the end, Shrike pops up again in the next to last chapter, having hunted Han down.  Then Han shoots him dead pretty unceremoniously.

There ends the full exciting story of Garris Shrike.

I don't care if they use the name Garris Shrike or not.  It's not like the character has potential (like Thrawn did) of being an exciting new canon character.  They'd literally only be using the name as a shout-out to people who have fond memories of a somewhat middling book series.

2 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Pablo Hidalgo itself sounds like a ridiculous Star Wars name.  How appropriate.

:lol:

26 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I've been very slowly reading through the "Legends" catalog by release date, and am in the middle of this Han Solo trilogy.  In those books, Garris Shrike runs a sort of criminal orphanage, with a bunch of laughable Oliver Twist references.  Han escapes in chapter 2, losing his parent figure (a Wookiee named Dewlanna) in the battle.  Shrike plays no part in the bulk of the book - does not reappear and does not affect the main plot (which is about a Hutt slavery/spice ring).  At the end, Shrike pops up again in the next to last chapter, having hunted Han down.  Then Han shoots him dead pretty unceremoniously.

Sounds awful.

it took me a while to realize that almost always, efforts are better spent on sequels instead of prequels, if you must continue a story.  Generally, prequels only really work if you already had a thorough backstory in mind when making the original, you're adapting an existing work out of order, or you have a REALLY good writer at the helm.

As far as I've observed, the only prequel that actually works is Better Call Saul, and thats still ongoing.

The Prequel parts of Godfather II is the only film exception. But thats party because of the juxtaposition with the rest of the film.

It's an incredibly limiting story device, and like Jason said, you really need to know your craft!

Better Call Saul is exactly what I was thinking of as a prequel that works - and that is because its got a REALLY talented writer at the helm.

In a way it can probably technically be better qualified as a "sidequel" since it explodes the history of a supporting character of Breaking Bad. But Vince really used the whole concept of the prequel to its fullest potential, and, in season one at least avoided its pitfalls 

Season 2 is every bit as brilliant... probably even more so.... than season 1.  Best writing and acting on TV.

Making a whole movie just to show us the Kessel Run that took only 12 parsecs...

And what is a parsec? I hope it's at least 2 minutes or this movie will be so boring!

Huh.

I think maybe Lucasfilm has just canonized the idea that he found a shorter route or something, though. I remember seeing a Pablo Hidalgo tweet on the topic.