Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

TFA only has the slight upper hand because the characters' and storyline's fate is still to be determined. But both are just as average films, really.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:25 PM, BloodBoal said:

Please, god, no.

Seconded.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:32 PM, BloodBoal said:

One thing's for sure: Star Wars movies won't feel special anymore (if there was ever any doubt that would happen...).

Sadly agree.

On 3/24/2017 at 0:09 AM, BloodBoal said:

I can agree with that. Though the thing that make me like Rogue One more is that it was a bit more risky (well, as risky as a Disney Star Wars movie can be, I supposed) than TFA, which was nothing more than Disney basically saying "let's play it safe!".

Yes. At least Rogue One took some risks and tried something different.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/do-not-post-lucasfilms-post-star-wars-episode-ix-plans.html

We’re going to get information about Han Solo a lot earlier than we have for any other recently-produced Star Wars movie.

The movie is said to have something of a comic book/pulp feel as well.

• 3 weeks later...

A popular prequel era EU character's surname linked to untitled Han Solo Star Wars film! | Making Star Wars

Cool. I really do hope they are mining Lucas' unused TV ideas for this film. (It sounds from Kasdan's comments like it actually started with a treatment of his too, so it's possible some of the very basic story beats will be his - although, strangely, Kathleen Kennedy contradicted both Kasdan and Pablo Hidalgo on that.)

Oh, also, just saw this old article:

https://www.inverse.com/article/15631-the-plot-of-the-han-solo-movie-might-come-from-an-old-empire-strikes-back-idea

Apparently Lucas talked about his ideas for a Han Solo origin story film during early TESB story meetings:

[Han's] stepfather would be the head of the transportation union, which means that he controls all the pilots, all the navigators, all the shipping throughout the galaxy. He really controls all nonmilitary transport in the galaxy. His people are really devoted to him. Without commerce in the galaxy, it would strangle the Empire and the Emperor knows this.

There is also a whole section about how Han got tied up with Chewie. It has to do with Han being orphaned and landing on the Wookiee planet and being raised by the Wookiees. Han’s stepfather is a Hemingway-esque character. His father was a trader and his father's father was a trader, and they honed out this trading post empire and pretty soon it became a giant thing. In his trading, he came across Han and took him under his wing for eight or nine years—until they had a falling out at the end and had a bitter fight over something. Han swore he would never talk to him again.

I think some of this is already in Legends but that doesn't mean they can't used it for this film. 

So here's a scenario. Disney hasn't put forward what the next stand alone movie is gonna be. Also Ewan McGregor did not appear in any form at Star Wars celebration, not in person and not sending in a video message like Jackson and Neeson did. Now, what if they are keeping him away for a specific reason because even his uncle was there at celebration and he's been cantankerous about Star Wars and his role in it. So what if the reason Ewan is absent is because at some point in the Han Solo movie he, Han, is at Mos Eisley, maybe the cantina, and we see Obi Wan in the background looking shady, and that, my friends, tells us what the next stand alone film is gonna be.....

3 hours ago, ocelot said:

So here's a scenario. Disney hasn't put forward what the next stand alone movie is gonna be. Also Ewan McGregor did not appear in any form at Star Wars celebration, not in person and not sending in a video message like Jackson and Neeson did. Now, what if they are keeping him away for a specific reason because even his uncle was there at celebration and he's been cantankerous about Star Wars and his role in it. So what if the reason Ewan is absent is because at some point in the Han Solo movie he, Han, is at Mos Eisley, maybe the cantina, and we see Obi Wan in the background looking shady, and that, my friends, tells us what the next stand alone film is gonna be.....

It's all illuminati!

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

God, Lucas' Han Solo origins story sounds really boring. I smell remnants of the taxation of trade routes...

Have to agree with that; it does not sound particularly inspired.

I don't think I like the idea of Han Solo being the son of some sort of "super-mega-famous-person".

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I thought we already knew there's going to be a Obi-Wan standalone movie? It would hardly be a surprise to anyone, anyway.

No, no Obi Wan movie has been confirmed, announced or even mentioned by Disney. The only thing we know is that Ewan McGregor is interested and that was a while ago.

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't think I like the idea of Han Solo being the son of anyone! Not knowing much about him was part of what made him cool. Reveal stuff like that out about him, and you make him less of a mystery and thus you make him less cool

Fair point. I don't feel any particular need to know who was his father. Just completely irrelevant.

Just show us Han Solo "Han Solo-ing around" and we'll be fine. ;)

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

that's funny, remind me of a another character with which that happened...

Another sub-zero-cool character played by Harrison Ford, you mean....? :P

15 hours ago, ocelot said:

It actually sounds like they will announce it this summer (I'd guess at D23).

Kathleen Kennedy a few days ago:

“I think we’re getting close. My hope would be sometime around the summer. I never want to predict the creative process because it is its own thing, so we’re in the midst of those discussions right now.”

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoff-kathleen-kennedy/

15 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I thought we already knew there's going to be a Obi-Wan standalone movie? It would hardly be a surprise to anyone, anyway.

God, Lucas' Han Solo origins story sounds really boring. I smell remnants of the taxation of trade routes...

Haha it does sound a little similar to that. So maybe that part of the story will be in the background, which might be what Lucas intended anyway (assuming it was even still in the treatment by the time he sold the company). Or maybe it won't be in there at all.

It does seem to provide a good excuse for Han to take a lot of trips, though, which you probably need to keep the film moving. 

Also, as you know, I'm not as hard on the prequels' politics as some, so I'm more intrigued by that idea than most. 

----------

Also, I know a lot of you are on the fence about this film, but remember this paraphrased quote from concept artist Iain McCaig, speaking at some event:

By far the best Star Wars script, and one of the best scripts period, that I have ever read. I laughed, I cried, I did all the things you should do when reading a good script. You’re in for a treat.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/06/iain-mccaig-talks-about-production-on-the-force-awakens-hints-at-star-wars-episode-viii-plot.html

Now, this source clearly misinterpreted other information they reported so it's possible they misremembered what McCaig said here, but I found that quote very encouraging. This is Lawrence Kasdan writing, remember. And Han is his favorite character.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/05/first-photo-from-the-star-wars-han-solo-set-at-fuerteventura.html

Interesting. It'd be nice to see Tatooine again. Maybe we'll even see Jabba the Hutt...?

They missed out on including that in Empire Strikes Back, The Force Awakens AND Rogue One.

In fact, Empire Strikes Back doesn't even have a desert planet at all. SHAME ON IT! :lol:

ESB does indeed have a desert planet - Hoth. Technically, a desert is a vast, barren area of land, so Hoth can rightly be considered a desert planet. Just with snow and ice instead of sand.

2 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

ESB does indeed have a desert planet - Hoth. Technically, a desert is a vast, barren area of land, so Hoth can rightly be considered a desert planet. Just with snow and ice instead of sand.

I won't argue with that, because you're right. From a certain point of view. ;)

11 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

When I was a kid, I had two different VHS versions of Star Wars and depending on which one I watched, Artoo was either captured by the jawas during the daytime or at night.

Wait, what?

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Geez, get it right.  Tatooine is a gangster desert planet, hive of scum and villainy.  Jakku is a sad depressive scavenger desert planet where people eat broccoli bread.  Nothing alike at all!

The thing that allows me to accept Jakku as a new planet and not a rip-off is the "battle remnants" idea (which, according to the concept art book, seems to have come before the idea of making it a desert planet). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2017 at 4:04 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

So how about they DON'T dye her hair for this one, eh? :P

If she's human.... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this is unexpected. Another mess incoming?

Star Wars: Han Solo film loses directors

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are no longer directing the Han Solo Star Wars spin-off.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm in a statement.

“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,” stated Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-film-loses-directors-1015419

Filming still underway in London with an undisclosed director.

Starting to reflect poorly on Lucasfilm's choice in directors, after the Trank and Edwards disasters. They'll have no one to blame but themselves if Trevorrow fucks up IX.

Yeah, bizarre. Surely they knew the type of film these two would create; how the hell do you get 4 months into production and realise your vision isn't aligned with the studio?

Can only guess they went a little too zany & off-script and Disney demanded a return to cliched, formulaic, four quadrant crap.

What the heck? 

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, bizarre. Surely they knew the type of film these two would create; how the hell do you get 4 months into production and realise your vision isn't aligned with the studio?

Can only guess they went a little too zany & off-script and Disney demanded a return to cliched, formulaic, four quadrant crap.

Indeed. What other kinds of "creative differences" could they possibly have? Hopefully leaks will get the full story out shortly. ;)

Lucasfilm claims release date won't change but we will see about that...

As some have pointed out it really sounds like this is becoming a habit for Lucasfilm -- TFA, Rogue One, Boba Fett, and now this have all had major behind the scenes firings/drop outs and tensions. The Last Jedi is the only one so far that seems to have lacked that, although maybe it just hasn't been reported yet.