Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

There have been reports that Rian Johnson (who has really shown the MOST personality in his work, vs. Abrams/MillerLord/Trevvorow/Edwards) has been going along swimmingly with LFL, KK, etc - and they like what he produced.

You have to be careful with these reports though -- remember when the Rogue One reshoots were first reported and Anthony Breznican at EW had a couple stories saying everything was fine, etc.? While all the other reports indicated something more major and less amicable? 

There are surely higher-ups at Lucasfilm talking to the press on all these things and trying to spin them their way.

Just as it's highly likely that yesterday's firing info, the "socks" anecdote, etc., were leaked by Lord and Miller's buddies (doesn't mean they're not true, of course - I trust them more than I trust Kennedy, that's for sure!)

EDIT: I guess we do have to keep in mind the possibility that Lord and Miller just weren't making the film the best it could be. It's not necessarily because Kennedy wanted to "play it safe," although that's the conclusion that of course you jump to. 

19 minutes ago, Will said:

You have to be careful with these reports though -- remember when the Rogue One reshoots were first reported and Anthony Breznican at EW had a couple stories saying everything was fine, etc.? While all the other reports indicated something more major and less amicable? 

I still subscribe to the theory that it was largely amicable.  They (LFL probably) wanted to do some larger reshoots and they had the money to do it, which is a luxury not necessarily afforded to a lot of movies. Edwards was involved with the movie through all of post- and promoted the hell out of it.  The "other reports" were always rumors typically at The Hollywood Reporter, which were then exaggerated and blown up by awful clickbait movie news sites.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Besides that strange use of the past tense ("had") that's good to see and very interesting.

Maybe they're close to finishing.

21 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Maybe they're close to finishing.

I think they are. They got TLJ out of the way early in order to focus on post for Han Solo

I'm sure they're going to keep messing with it until the fall and the score will get cut up like always (hopefully the effect will be minimized somewhat if Williams does some pick-up sessions for inserts and stuff) but I'm guessing that with so much of the music done and 9 months of editing already that it probably looks pretty close to what we'll see in December.

Anyway, back to the subject of the Han Solo film.

The movie will speak for itself upon release, but for now I'm deferring to the judgment of the woman who's produced some of my favorite movies ever made over the dudes behind 21 Jump Street and The Lego Movie.

Some moronic nerds are calling for Kennedy's head, like no directors have ever been fired halfway through production by a powerful producer.  David O. Selznick fired George Cukor from directing Gone With the Wind partway through filming!

It's less this specific firing and more the particular pattern that's developed with virtually every film that worries me a bit. But I guess it is possible that some of the anonymously-sourced reports are BS, so things aren't as bad as reported. 

For two examples of the kind of anonymously sourced reporting that troubles me, consider this:

In an interview before TFA's release, J.J. Abrams said he had an absolutely burning desire (or something like that) to do the film with a Michael Arndt script, but that Arndt just couldn't get a script together in time. Yet a couple reports suggest that instead, there were major creative differences, and in fact that Abrams threatened to quit over Arndt's script!! (which then apparently led to Arndt being forced out and George Lucas dropping out, with Abrams staying on) Supposedly the schism was over how much to use the old characters (probably among other things). 

Then there's the Desplat situation: Publicly, we've been told that it was a time issue. Giacchino has said on the record that he doesn't know why the firing happened. Meanwhile, a French website report indicates that it was not in fact an amicable parting. 

2 films hardly warrants saying "virtually every film."  And whatever they did with Rogue One clearly was a success based on fan response.  I'm not R1's biggest fan but I'm not sure I would've liked any version of it.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

2 films hardly warrants saying "virtually every film."  And whatever they did with Rogue One clearly was a success based on fan response.  I'm not R1's biggest fan but I'm not sure I would've liked any version of it.

There have been major BTS "scandals" with TFA, Rogue One, Han Solo, and Boba Fett. The only one where we haven't heard anything (yet) is TLJ. 

And, yes, Rogue One was received well. But it's still a little troubling when you hear about this kind of stuff behind the scenes, even if perhaps it shouldn't be. 

I guess it's just very disturbing to hear about all the borderline lies that it seems are being told, if the reports are to be believed (not that that is necessarily news to anyone who follows business in general, but still). 

Apparently Ron Howard might be a top choice to take over. Wouldn't it be an excellent opportunity for him to reunite with James Hor...? Oh...

(It was my actual first thought, by the way)

Karol

Well, maybe with Lawrence Kasdan we could get a JNH score?

In other news, I'm excited about the Michael Giacchino's score for this.

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

In other news, I'm excited about the Michael Giacchino's score for this.

Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth, Wormtongue!

42 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Apparently Ron Howard might be a top choice to take over. Wouldn't it be an excellent opportunity for him to reunite with James Hor...? Oh...

(It was my actual first thought, by the way)

Karol

or he could reunite with another famed composer with whom he has worked. 

57 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That stuff you describe with TFA's script sounds like standard Hollywood to me.  No group is more carelessly treated than screenwriters!

You're probably right. Although, remember, it wasn't just a break with Arndt -- it was a major break with Lucas, the franchise creator, who initially had anticipated being involved through the whole thing (he wasn't fired - I don't think he had an official job, after all - but he was basically forced out, it seems). 

8 minutes ago, Will said:

You're probably right. Although, remember, it wasn't just a break with Arndt -- it was a major break with Lucas, the franchise creator, who initially had anticipated being involved through the whole thing (he wasn't fired - I don't think he had an official job, after all - but he was basically forced out, it seems). 

I seem to remember that being celebrated at the time!

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I seem to remember that being celebrated at the time!

Well, yes ... I'm not happy about it though! (well, unless his story really was terrible, but I'm guessing it was more that they wanted to play it safe -- TFA was great though so I'm not super mad or anything; just a little sad that it couldn't happen with Lucas' involvement) 

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

That stuff you describe with TFA's script sounds like standard Hollywood to me.  No group is more carelessly treated than screenwriters!

There were serious problems with TFA very late in production and they hadn't a clue what tone they wanted for a film that was already shot.

8 hours ago, KK said:

Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth, Wormtongue!

You and I both know this is extremely likely.

Karol

Well... he stepped in and saved their arses last year. The score worked for the film and was generally received well. The film was a big box office success. Let's do the math here...

Karol

1 minute ago, Gistech said:

Isn't Don Davis officially retired though?

No, he still does some work here and there. Nothing we'll ever hear.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

No, he still does some work here and there. Nothing we'll ever hear.

Karol

That's a shame. I miss his scores. Despite what people think of the films, he did really good work on The Matrix series of scores.

1 minute ago, Jonesy said:

Apparently, Davis has written music for a japanese film called Tokyo Ghoul.

I had to look that up. I know what Tokyo Ghoul is, but I hadn't heard they were doing a live action one.