Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Star Wars News Net, which seems fairly reliable, reports that the title will be released during D23, which lasts from July 14-16!

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/02/rumor-why-you-should-be-excited-for-disneys-d23-event-this-year.html

Still no indication of a release date change since the cast announcement, and this reported title plan would seem to support a May release.

They also report that D23 will have more SW programming than in years past (although it's hard to tell -- that bit actually might be involving a lot of guesswork on their part). 

Additionally, as had been reported a while ago, the filming will occur in the Canary Islands:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/57999.html

Specifically on one that's rather desert-y. Another desert planet! :lol:

Who knows, maybe they'll spice it up with sets and CGI. It is a cool location. And Making Star Wars has reported that it seems possibly related to some concept art they saw that looked a little like "Exotic City" from TFA (a marvelous design that was largely scrapped):

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/han-solo-production-to-shoot-spains-canary-islands/

If it has elements of Exotic City I will be very happy. It might be my favorite Star Wars "location" ever (in quotes because it's not canon, of course, having never made it into published media other than the TFA concept art book). 

• 2 weeks later...

Beckett Beckett.

Bringing back one of the two most iconic EU characters (Thrawn) was a big deal.  Why anyone thought Lucasfilm would bring back a 30-page character named Garris Shrike, I don't know.

I'd consider Thrawn and Mara Jade to be the two "iconic" EU characters - most present in public consciousness.  Others on the tier just below them might be the Solo and Skywalker kids, maybe Talon Karrde, weird outliers like Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar - characters that non-book-readers maybe have heard of.  Even lower tiers below that would include characters like Borsk Feylla, Winter, some of the members of Rogue Squadron, etc.

Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade are absolutely the most recognizable Star Wars EU characters, with probably Kyle Katern, Dash Rendar, and pick your Skywalker/Solo offspring rounding out the top 5

12 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Even I know Mara Jade, I've never seen or read anything to do with the EU.

Lucasfilm even hired an actress to "play" her back in the 1990s - only in photographs for their magazine and some CCG cards, if I recall.  She probably made a good amount of money at conventions for a little bit after that.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:22 PM, Stefancos said:

Judging just from Hail Ceasar Alden Einfolkeinreich is a far better actor that Hayden. He actually gives the best performance in a film where he's surrounded by movie star

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

I. Don't. Care.

Some part of me hopes this movie fails miserably and finally kills off the phenomenon of pointless origin prequels.

But it's got Star Wars in the title, so it'll make another metric fuckton of money and studio executives will keep greenlighting shit like this for years to come...

I don't know, I think this film could be pretty cool. My only hope is that it goes away for once from the "save the galaxy in a big epic emotional family struggle" thing, and tells a more "crazy" and fun story that doesn't have all that much to do with the larger galaxy (except for a few cool name drops and such, of course). Rogue One was initially supposed to be a little more adventurous and a spy thriller, but ultimately evolved into the classic family drama thing. Which was great, but I still wonder about what could have been...

Space Walmart?

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

but because of Han's character. If they somehow manage to recapture what made the character great in the first place, and throw him in an exciting adventure, it could be quite something.

Yeah. But it is gonna be a hell of a job replacing Ford. I mean a HELL of a job. He completely owned it.

While the casting is hopeful. I just have my doubts.

I was just thinking about the time period of this film. Apparently Han was born after 30 BBY, but we don't know the exact year. But I believe we also know he's older than Luke, so he presumably would have been born a few years before the Empire was proclaimed in 19 BBY, and it would have been during Palpatine's tenure as chancellor, which began in 32 BBY. If Han is 18 when the film begins and 24 when it ends, then I guess this film will presumably take place only during the Empire's reign (unless there's an earlier prologue), and will likely end pretty close to the Battle of Yavin -- at most a few years before, and Disney may well want to tie them together with an ending that shows them walking into the cantina that day or whatever, as I believe someone here suggested. 

It will be very interesting to witness the massive in-film time jumps required to move a character from 18 years old to 24 years old. Oh, unless of course (and maybe this is more likely) there's a prologue when he's 18 and the rest is when he's 24, or it's mostly when he's 18 and there's an epilogue when he's 24. Something like that, maybe. 

Oh, whatever, I guess we'll see soon enough.

My big question regarding Iger's statements is whether the decade and a half refers to a decade and a half from now or a decade and a half from 2019 or 2020. In any case, this statement means that at the very least we will seemingly get SW films until the early 2030s. Christ. That could be really good or it could be really bad. It's certainly been good so far, though, so I'll try to stay optimistic for now and take them as they come!

First I have to emphasize that this is pure SPECULATION and is not supported by reporting. However, this could be really awesome if done well:

I hadn't thought at all about framing devices in the past but I suppose some could be in play. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Rogue One was an utterly mediocre movie, yet did over 1 billion dollars.

It was at least as good if not better than The Force Awakens. 

I have to say I preferred TFA. Probably mostly because of the element of mystery associated with the story (Rey's origins, forceback, etc.) that you obviously don't get with RO.