Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

And Trank's replacement is the directing team of Christopher Miller and Phil Lord - the directors of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, The LEGO Movie, 21 Jump Street, and 22 Jump Street

And it's a Han Solo movie, with a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan!

http://www.starwars.com/news/christopher-miller-and-phil-lord-to-helm-han-solo-anthology-film

I love Kasdan's writing and Phil Lord and Chris Miller churned some of the best and funniest mainstream comedies in the last few years. They present at least a better prospect than Josh Trank

Both Jump Streets and The LEGO Movie are all well-directed films.

Lord and Miller are also writing the Spider-man reboot for Sony, incidentally

I mentioned this on FB earlier.

The Force Awakens will be the last time that the release of a Star Wars film is really a bit of an event.

Disney will be churning them out from then on, like the MCU films.

Even the Prequels, as bad as they are had a bit of pomp and circumstance attached to their release.

I agree with that sentiment, actually, Steef. I just hope these spin offs are somehow given less importance than the episodic movies

Both Jump Streets and The LEGO Movie are all well-directed films.

And surprisingly good movies made from terrible ideas. So they've got that going for them.

That actually sounds like a really great team! Those two make really energetic and fun films. Though I do hope they get a better composer than Mark Mothersbaugh for this. He's not properly equipped to do justice to the Star Wars universe musically. Especially since this might be the first time Han gets his own theme.

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing another actor play a young Han Solo, but as with all things Star Wars, I'm excited. Now if only they could hire Giacchino over Mothersbaugh...

Should this be split from the original Josh Trank/Simon Kinberg 2018 spinoff thread? This film replaced that film, but that film will still be made one day.

You're right. Originally, I did do it as a separate thread, then decided to merge it into the Trank spinoff thread. But then I read more carefully and saw that this is a separate project from the one that Josh Trank recently left, so separate thread it is.

I renamed the Trank thread with a 2020 date, since that's when I assume it will come out now.

I could see them asking John Williams. It might depend on what Spielberg is doing around that time, and what Episode 8 and Episode 9's schedules are like.

I don't like this continual deconstruction of the existing Star Wars universe characters. I don't need to see Han Solo's backstory, I don't need to know what made him a pirate. I don't need all of the mysteries uncloaked, I don't need all my questions answered.

For god's sake, spread out into the great unknown.

The two things that I absolutely wouldn't want to see in a "Young Han Solo" movie are bound to happen - an encounter with Boba Fett and an introduction between Han and Chewie.

This is the first yawner for me of the new-guard Lucasfilm. With that said, I would be ecstatic to be pleasantly surprised.

A Han Solo spinoff could be fun, at least, it's more interresting to me than Rogue One.

But a spinoff about the origins of the Sith (and without Boba Fett) would be far more interresting.

Darth Bane Begins!

We need a Sith Trilogy. The first episode dedicated to Naga Sadow, the second to Bane, and the third to Plagueis.

Apparently it's a rumor based on the fact that Star Wars started following him on Twitter the day after this was announced, and they only follow SW people: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-08/why-starwars-following-aaron-paul-on-twitter-is-actually-a-bigger-deal-than-you-think

• 5 weeks later...

God, the folks at Disney are really exploiting their 'purchase' to the max, aren't they?! There once was a time when such excessive 'squeezing' could've done more harm than good. Does the world really need to know about Luke before he met Kenobi? Or Han before he got hired for his fast ship?

God, the folks at Disney are really exploiting their 'purchase' to the max, aren't they?! There once was a time when such excessive 'squeezing' could've done more harm than good. Does the world really need to know about Luke before he met Kenobi? Or Han before he got hired for his fast ship?

They are going to milk it for every cent.

What used to be the domain of spin-off novels or fan fiction will now become a major motion picture!

Can't wait for Yoda's origin movie!

I do hope they get a better composer than Mark Mothersbaugh for this. He's not properly equipped to do justice to the Star Wars universe musically. Especially since this might be the first time Han gets his own theme.

Bullshit!

Han's Theme.

Yes. We need to know everything. EVERYTHING!

Han Goes To School, Han Goes To The Beach, When Han Met Chewie, When Han Met Lando, When Han Got The Falcon, When Han Got His Jacket...

Today's society is all about information. We need to know everything about everything, about each person. If we don't know something about you, then it means you've got something to hide.

The same applies to fictional characters. We need to know everything about them, from the moment they were born to the moment they died. If we don't know something, then it's a plot hole!

The sad thing is that you're telling the truth.

I can't wait for Star Wars Anthology: Dawn of Jira (2032)

JiraHS.jpg

"She thought her bones were aching from early onset arthritis, but what she discovered next would change the galaxy forever."

There's a storm coming Annie will be the new I've got a bad feeling about this.

I don't like this continual deconstruction of the existing Star Wars universe characters. I don't need to see Han Solo's backstory, I don't need to know what made him a pirate. I don't need all of the mysteries uncloaked, I don't need all my questions answered.

For god's sake, spread out into the great unknown.

I couldn't agree more!

I think that anything Star Wars related (except for the original unaltered trilogy), is a bad idea, and it's only being done for money, since cinema doesn't go very well financially these last few years..

Cinema is making more money then ever actually!

Didnt Furious 7 take in 1.5 billion? Jurassic World took a huge wad of cash!

Of course! This confirms what I said. These are no new material, they are sequels on material that is known to be lucrative!

And that's why we see so many sequels, prequels, spin-offs, re-boots, comic-book movies etc.

Because original material doesn't have a profit.

So, they're doing all these Star wars movies and such, because otherwise the studios will go bankrupt!

I should have said" original cinema doesn't go very well financially"

Cinema is making more money then ever actually!

Didnt Furious 7 take in 1.5 billion? Jurassic World took a huge wad of cash!

Thanks to new mass markets like China and India.

I do hope they get a better composer than Mark Mothersbaugh for this. He's not properly equipped to do justice to the Star Wars universe musically. Especially since this might be the first time Han gets his own theme.

Bullshit!

Han's Theme.

A Han Solo movie scored entirely with Devo songs...

ekhum.gif

• 3 months later...