Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Variety reporting that they were fired, didn't get along with Kennedy from the start.  Kennedy apparently rules with an iron fist.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/amp/

This just kinda shows the product and assembly line nature of big budget Hollywood movies. They are like tech projects, there is a plan and an over-seer, but it is essentially anonymous. No one person is indispensable. Certain people are more important than others, but the guiding principle of the project is the brief and as long as you hire people who can commit to it and just guide them along and follow the process and hit the milestones and do routine sync-ups and check-ups, the end product is achieved and delivered to those who are paying for it.

Rogue One. Justice League. Thor The Dark World. Now Han Solo. All different circumstances but instances where the control of the director switched (in various circumstances). And it's all the same.

You cannot replace the director on films like There Will Be Blood or Mulholland Dr. But for these films you can.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

A Hollywood Reporter source also claims differences of opinion on Han Solo's character was a factor

"People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish."

Jesus, which version of the character were Disney expecting? Clearly not a smarmy, sarcastic, womaniser. He's not Frank Drebin for crying out loud!

I really hope Kasdan doesn't get the job. He's not as good as he thinks he is. A script polish on Empire and George's refusal to take a writing credit have resulted in the guy having this Godlike status but he's mostly made crap. 

Howard or Johnstone I'd be fine with. I never really had interest in a Han Solo film anyway. 

I would definitely prefer Herr Zimmer over another Gia score.

There's long been rumours that Kennedy's a nightmare to work under and Lucasfilm staff can't stand her (micromanages everything to within an inch of its life).

She always seems quite pleasant during interviews though. And she's bent over backwards to ensure JW's stayed with Star Wars without Lucas, so that alone deserves our gratitude. No other composer would be afforded the luxurious writing and recording schedule JW's had for TFA & TLJ.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Gia!

lol this is the first thing I thought of when I heard the news - they'll probably get Gia for that "familiar" feel

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's long been rumours that Kennedy's a nightmare to work under and Lucasfilm staff can't stand her (micromanages everything to within an inch of its life).

She always seems quite pleasant during interviews though. And she's bent over backwards to ensure JW's stayed with Star Wars without Lucas, so that alone deserves our gratitude. No other composer would be afforded the luxurious writing and recording schedule JW's had for TFA & TLJ.

I really liked both TFA and Rogue One, so keep doing what you're doing Kathy!

I trust Kennedy more than those two (unkown for me) directors.

A Star Wars movie should look like a Star Wars movie, at the base, even if it's not particularly good (like Rogue One)... but in the case of Rogue, it's the timeline that was not good. But the "tone" was good. I always found that there was no story to tell, and I was right, there is not.

Now, if you have a story for the Han Solo movie (which I doubt), at least, it must have the "look and feel" of a Star Wars movie.

No sex scene, the right tone (not too dark, not too violent, that's sci-fi, but it must be plausible, it's not a comic... well a little bit like an Indiana Jones), etc... you know...A goold old fashioned Star Wars movie.

So in Kennedy I trust!

Those little twerps, they just have to produce their own movies if they want to express themselves. Poor them, I already see the title of their bio: "The day I almost made a Star Wars movie".

10 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I really hope Kasdan doesn't get the job. He's not as good as he thinks he is. A script polish on Empire and George's refusal to take a writing credit have resulted in the guy having this Godlike status

I tend to agree with this. Kasdan, while talented (and Empire is the best SW film) is basically the Nicholas Meyer of the Star Wars universe...i.e. both given way more credit than they deserve and regarded the "go to" person/franchise saviour when things go tits up based on nothing but work they did more than three decades ago. 

Any director would be absolutely insane to take this gig right at this moment. I don't know who would be crazy enough to accept it.

And if they want absolute control why they keep hiring these directors with clear and strong personalities in their work? Get some hacks that do the job and go home and are easy to control.

There have been reports that Rian Johnson (who has really shown the MOST personality in his work, vs. Abrams/MillerLord/Trevvorow/Edwards) has been going along swimmingly with LFL, KK, etc - and they like what he produced.

We've seen nothing of the film so there really is no saying at this point. He could just be going along with all their creative pushes and making them happy, because y'know, it's Star Wars and it'll make your career and a ton of cash.

I don't like the new trend of tentpole blockbusters hounding after upcoming indie directors. It squashes their voice and if the film tanks so does the director's career. Just look at Marc Webb. 

From the sound of reports, Abrams, Edwards, and Johnson were aware that they were directors hired to make a Star Wars movie for Lucasfilm, and willing to defer to their employers.

Lord/Miller wanted to make a Lord/Miller movie and weren't taking guidance on that.

I do like Lord and Miller.  Their involvement was one of the only reasons I was looking forward to it.  At least we still have Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, and Woody Harrelson.

27 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Any director would be absolutely insane to take this gig right at this moment. I don't know who would be crazy enough to accept it.

And if they want absolute control why they keep hiring these directors with clear and strong personalities in their work? Get some hacks that do the job and go home and are easy to control.

Lots of people would be more than happy to kneel down to take the offer. 

Hollywood is all about relationships and networking ( just like all of corporate America). You get onto a top flight project and come in touch with all these industry heads and department heads and that can lead to further opportunities. Even the chance to work with a big name producer like Kennedy can open up vast avenues for you. Kennedy knows people who knows people etc so next time a juicy project is up, someone might just recommend this director's name.

Exactly. Hollywood isn't a burn-your-bridges industry, unless you want a premature retirement.

It's filled with egos that like stroking. Like most careers, reaching that point where you have creative freedom means doing what you're told (even if you don't agree) for a while.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

There have been reports that Rian Johnson (who has really shown the MOST personality in his work, vs. Abrams/MillerLord/Trevvorow/Edwards) has been going along swimmingly with LFL, KK, etc - and they like what he produced.

Well why don't they put him in charge?

15 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm gonna guess Kasdan just steps in and does it himself. I mean, if he was really that unhappy with how it was going. 

That Hollywood Reporter article says that there are DGA rules that forbid replacing a fired director with another member of the existing crew, so presumably they'd have to find a way to get around that if they want Kasdan. 

Could that depend on if they were technically fired?  Publicly this is still being presented as an amicable parting of ways.  Would that rule apply in that case?

If they did indeed walk off and were not fired, I would assume that would be different.

If not they could just fire Kasdan then rehire him as director :P

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Could that depend on if they were technically fired?  Publicly this is still being presented as an amicable parting of ways.  Would that rule apply in that case?

I think they were technically fired and publicly said to have parted ways with Lucasfilm.