Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

If so, this was the correct decision! Han Solo isn't a comedy character, he's a sarcastic, charming rogue!

At least before ROTJ.

10 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It is an absolutely outstanding theme and one Williams' best but it's a heavily romantic theme. It can represent Han's relationship with Leia but it can't represent him alone and his exploits. It's much too romantic for that.

Han's theme would be for lack of a better word a manlier theme. Representing Han with the Love theme would be like representing Indy with Marion's Theme.

Something tells me Williams could make it work with variations. 

You're right, though, it's not a theme that exactly screams "scoundrel" or "fighting." 

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sounds like a real challenge to use only 1 or 2 notes. Oh, wait, Williams already did that in 1975!

Don't they teach you arithmetic in Petit France? Jaws was 3 notes!

12 minutes ago, Will said:

Something tells me Williams could make it work with variations. 

You're right, though, it's not a theme that exactly screams "scoundrel" or "fighting." 

You can make anything sound manly with a pair of tubas and a trombone. 

6 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Don't they teach you arithmetic in Petit France? Jaws was 3 notes!

Belgium is called Petite France?

33 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

At least we are unified, unlike you Europeans!

Europe is united...just not with the UK.

45 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No matter! You yanks are all alike!

...always overdressing for the wrong occasions.

4 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Is Ron Howard reshooting the entire film from scratch or is he just finishing the remainder?

I don't think so. He's finishing principal photography, then he'll be in charge of reshoots, but the whole film isn't being reshot.

What a mess. I have respect for Kennedy and Kasdan, but if they want to play it safe then we'll end up with the bubble-wrapped, 'approach at a distance of twelve feet only' Rogue One, where Edwards and Lucasfilm evidently had respect for the craft, but everything, all hints of emotion and surprise were contorted to make 'Star Wars: A Star Wars Story', with the same thing happening where the execs at Disney (and most likely Kennedy and Co.) were worried it would sully their vision of one-size-fits-all movie with Star Wars things in it.

Now, if Lord and Miller were taking more creative liberties than agreed with in Kasdan's screenplay, then sure, they should've been asked to curb those improvisations. Although I get the impression that at this point Disney/Lucasfilm aren't going to take any risks and it's sad. I wonder how much of Lord and Miller's personality will remain in the film, if any at all. This point has been brought up a thousand times before, but needs asking again: Why hire these outgoing, stylistic directors if ultimately all that passion and creativity is squandered in favour of a flavourless exercise in pastiche?

It's sad because when you hear or watch the BTS material with the writers, directors, cast and crew etc. you see a great deal of passion for the job their doing and (just like the prequels with George) it's all wasted. How much does one tolerate the genuine passion for filmmaking if it's more at the expense of a business that at the end doesn't showcase or utilize that talent?

15 minutes ago, RPurton said:

they should've been asked to curb those improvisations

I was under the impression they were asked to cut the comic improv?

The fact is that unless they are directed by Lucas, Star Wars movies have ALWAYS been producers films. Directors are there to bring the script to screen in a effective and satisfying way. They are not there to put their own creative stamp on Star Wars. Why do you think they hired Richard Marquand to helm ROTJ?

I think J.J. got out mostly unscathed. Each successive director either submits to the machine or perishes in hellfire.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I was under the impression they were asked to cut the comic improv?

The fact is that unless they are directed by Lucas, Star Wars movies have ALWAYS been producers films. Directors are there to bring the script to screen in a effective and satisfying way. They are not there to put their own creative stamp on Star Wars. Why do you think they hired Richard Marquand to helm ROTJ?

Because David Lynch turned it down.

Karol

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

TESB was a fraught production.

Way over budget and way over time.

mostly Kurtz fault though and he got the sack. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Karol

So Lucas didn't want directors who would put a personal stamp on Star Wars and so he wanted to hire David Lynch?! Hmm, makes sense!

Ahh, must have missed that part. What a shame, but there should be some revival of the project at some point.

Right now I couldn't care less about a 4K version because that'd be like 80gb! Just enjoying this lovely 1080p version.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

New reports.

The editor was fired too.

Acting coach hired for lead Alden E after Kennedy and Kasdan were unsatisfied with his performance.

Shooting initially was going to end in July but still now end two months later in September.

Also Kennedy tried to broker a power sharing agreement with Lord and Miller and writer Kasdan. 

She had successfully pulled off this coup on Rogue one allowing writer Tony Gilroy to ghost direct with Gareth Edwards without falling afoul of DGA rules. Edwards and Gilroy retained their director and writer credits and it worked out for everyone. 

But apparently Lord and Miller didn't want to share power with Kasdan so Kennedy fired them.

I trust her judgement to be honest. She has made some very great films. And she does not needlessly interfere. Johnson had Abrahms had complete authority on their films.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Also Lucas wanted a "non-union" director. 

BTW I wouldn't read too much into the acting coach thing, I'm sure they hired one because they thought his performance didn't fit Han Solo, or at least that's what I hope the reason was anyway. 

"The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause."

Geez, that's an indictment on the state of morale on-set under the other two.