Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Son of a fucking-ass bitch!! I literally said dozens of times over the last year that I really hoped JNH would score the Han Solo film... now only to find out he was going to! I like John Powell, but JNH would have been the best choice! Stupid Nutcracker shit, whatever that even is.

Guess I'll just listen to the new Waterworld release over and over again wondering what could have been...

JNH will have your chance. Maybe it will not be long before that happens. Fact is that our previous impression that Giacchino will take care of all the future movies of the franchise was wrong. They will bring out several other composers.

I like it. It honors and respects at the same time the JW's legacy.

I assume that the reluctance to accept the work is motivated by the departure of Desplat (a respectable composer) and of so many other professionals involved with the movies. It is frightening to be fired from a project with so much visibility.

JNH will obviously get his chance if he was asked before Powell. Based on that, he's high on their list (probably in no small part to his Potter score).

Sorta interesting that Gia appears to be out of the picture, unless he turned it down first.

Either way, it'll never happen with JJ directing but I'd much rather JNH composed Episode IX if JW couldn't.

James Newton Howard or John Powell, eh? Sounds like Disney has the right idea on which composers to approach!

Either would have been a fine choice indeed. Hopefully JNH will get his chance some time as well.

He sure deserves it!

What score, or scores convinced Disney to hire John Powell? Did they listen to his Bourne scores, a film with espionage-y themes or did they perhaps listen to Pan or the HTTYD scores?

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

What score, or scores convinced Disney to hire John Powell? Did they listen to his Bourne scores, a film with espionage-y themes or did they perhaps listen to Pan or the HTTYD scores?

Probably HTTYD. He may also been recommended by someone in the staff too, who was familiar with his work. Either way he's a great composer choice for a spinoff film. 

• 4 weeks later...