Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

In this day and age, once a trailer is out, people are already thinking about the trailer for the next film! Come on, quick, we don't have time to wait! Waiting is for patient people! It's boring! Bring us the Episode IX trailer already!

• 2 weeks later...

The Walt Disney Company and Lucasfilm announced today two major upcoming release dates.

Star Wars: Episode IX is now set for release on May 24, 2019. Directed by Colin Trevorrow, the film will close out the third Star Wars trilogy.

In addition, the fifth chapter of the Indiana Jones series is now confirmed for a July 10, 2020 release. Both Steven Spielberg, director of every Indiana Jones film, and star Harrison Ford will return.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-and-next-indiana-jones-get-release-dates

Agreed.  I thought for sure Disney would release Star Wars 9 in December 2019.  They've already got Avengers 4 and Toy Story 4 in Summer 2019.

Maybe they want to try the avengers film for christmas, since it is a franchise that spans more films per year than star wars. Maybe they want the 4th film to be released may 2020 so they are close together.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

'Star Wars: Episode IX' Gets a New Writer (Exclusive)

Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, has been tapped to work on the Star Wars installment that is to be directed by Colin Trevorrow.

Trevorrow and his writing partner Derek Connolly wrote the most recent draft of the script and were working off a treatment by Rian Johnson, who wrote and directed Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the eighth installment of the sci-fi fantasy that opens December 15.

This seems to contradict Rian Johnson's' statement that he had nothing to do with the Ep. IX script.

That's where I know the name from!!

Bizarre they didn't mention his most successful work in the article.  With that and the Johnson treatment slip up (which they've now corrected) pretty shoddy reporting.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

This seems to contradict Rian Johnson's' statement that he had nothing to do with the Ep. IX script.

Article updated:

Aug. 1, 5:03 p.m. Updated to reflect that the script for Episode IX is not based on a treatment by Rian Johnson.

In any event, I've got a bad feeling about this.

I have a copy of the book because my family is Potter-y, still haven't read it, and the more I see on here about how terrible it is, the less likely it is I'll actually read it!

49 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

The Cursed Child was fucking awful. No drama, no tension, a convoluted, confusing and meandering mess. It's worse than HBP.

2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

The Cursed Child was fucking awful. No drama, no tension, a convoluted, confusing and meandering mess. It's worse than HBP.

So he's an improvement on Captain Mediocre and his writing partner?

I reckon Kennedy, Kasdan and Co. can't fire Treverrow, so they'll bring in new writers until it's a match.

Why play catch 22, how did they think having to pick up the pieces each film out was a good idea?

So, in EP9, Luke and Rey will have a scene where he gives her the blanket in which Obi-Wan gave him to his aunt and uncle, Leia will be played by a black actress, Phasma is the daughter of Sidious, Rey, Finn and Poe will travel back in time to stop Windu in killing Jango Fett, which will turn him to the dark side for some reason, and they will all sit around and watch Padmé die because.

Jedi Rocks is looking at you with great scorn, knave!

11 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Still better than Return of the Jedi!

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Stormtroopers being taken down by toy bears, intercut with the sagas most pivotal duel, what were they thinking??

"The toys are gonna make us millions!"

https://www.google.com/amp/uproxx.com/movies/return-of-the-jedi-richard-marquand/amp/#ampshare=http://uproxx.com/movies/return-of-the-jedi-richard-marquand/

Kershner turned down Return of the Jedi. In 2010, shortly before his death, I interviewed Kershner for Vanity Fair and I asked him if he regretted that. Kershner replied, “After working for two years and nine months doing Empire, and having it take so much out of my life and having given me so much, I felt that it was a complete experience and it was time to move on.” 

I haven't read Cursed Child yet, but my spouse loved it.  I don't really care who wrote these movies, but I'll note that both The Force Awakens and Rogue One had significant rewrites and I thought they were both good Star Wars movies.