Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I hope this doesn't mean Gia is scoring. :unsure:

If Williams is still alive and willing (fingers crossed), I imagine Kathleen Kennedy would retain his services for Episodes VIII and VIX. I can't see Trevorrow saying, "No, I want Giacchino."

If you're directing a SW film and Williams is willing and/or contracted for it, you don't question the producers' decision.

I hope this doesn't mean Gia is scoring. :unsure:

If Williams is still alive and willing (fingers crossed), I imagine Kathleen Kennedy would retain his services for Episodes VIII and VIX. I can't see Trevorrow saying, "No, I want Giacchino."

If you're directing a SW film and Williams is willing and/or contracted for it, you don't question the producers' decision.

Yeah, Giacchino is essentially the "scab" here. He'll fill in should Williams be unable.

He might have if it weren't for Tomorrowland's critical and commercial failure.

Nah, the film was Bird's if he wanted it. He just has a lot more personal projects he wants to pursue. He's the reason Trevorrow directed Jurassic World. Kennedy and Marshall have lots of respect for him.

For me, Star Wars is a "steak".

And now I realize that all is coming from Disney will be "Fast Food".

Mac Disney or Walt Donald?

For me, Star Wars is a "steak".

And now I realize that all is coming from Disney will be "Fast Food".

Mac Disney or Walt Donald?

If the prequels are steak, then they are uncooked, maggot filled, and a week old. Give me the Big Mac any day.

In terms of Episode IX potentially closing out the Luke Skywalker saga, he's not the most inspiring choice ever, but honestly who would be (that would actually do it?) I agree that these are not director-driven films and Trevorrow's sensibilities for this series seem solid. Actually I think I like Safety Not Guaranteed more than anything either JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson has done, and Jurassic World more than anything besides Brick.

Still haven't seen Brick, but out of all the movies made by Abrams, Johnson, and Trevorrow that I've seen, I'd rank them

Looper

Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek

Super 8

Mission Impossible 3

Safety Not Guaranteed

Jurassic World

Still haven't seen Brick, but out of all the movies made by Abrams, Johnson, and Trevorrow that I've seen, I'd rank them

Looper

Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek

Super 8

Mission Impossible 3

Safety Not Guaranteed

Jurassic World

That is almost my ranking in reverse :lol: though I would keep Looper relatively high. There's also The Brothers Bloom from Johnson, which I haven't seen either.

Yea never seen that either

Ozymandias remains the best piece of entertainment any of these guys have directed.

Ozymandias definitely ranks up there as the best piece of work from all 3 directors, quite comfortably too.

Johnson's got an impeccable ability to convey palpable tension. His framing is all class and he's got a brilliant penchant for mise en scene.

I'm probably looking forward to his film the most but I think all 3 directors have been solid choices. Johnson is just the most inspired of the 3, for my liking. He strikes me as the type of director just screaming out for the big opportunity so he can grab it with both hands.

Arguably what Treverrow achieved with Jurassic World, considering his relative lack of experience, is remarkably impressive too. Those would be terrifyingly complex movies to make and he balanced all the ingredients far better than a seasoned veteran did on JP3.

And in an age of Josh Trank meltdowns after kids are given the keys to Hollywood, proven types like Treverrow would be in high demand. Don't underestimate how many brownie points you earn in Hollywood coming in under budget, a month early, open to producer and studio feedback... and not having a nervous breakdown.

Looper

Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek

Super 8

Mission Impossible 3

Safety Not Guaranteed

Jurassic World

I take it back, Star Wars is not safe.

open to producer and studio feedback... and not having a nervous breakdown.

Though my own experience working in editorial departments and having to deal with sales and marketing heads, I know the stakes in having to project myself as a "commercially-minded" professional and having to please these knuckle-heads without losing my sanity. For that, Trevorrow has my respect... and sympathies.

He turned into a mega millionaire essentially overnight. I'm sure he's happy.

I bet he wishes he asked for a percentage of the gross rather than a standalone directing fee!

Cool news.

Definately, with Abrahams producing this trilogy, and Treworrow directing, if Williams is not able to finish the series...Giacchino will do it....

But I pray for Williams to finish what he started :)

It does seem likely that if Williams doesn't want to score Episode 8 and Episode 9, then Giacchino would score Episode 9 for Trevorrow.

But who would score Episode 8 for Rian Johnson?

Would Kathleen Kennedy let Nathan Johnson score it?

Exactly - Desplat is a much more experienced, and much more known, composer than Nathan Johnson.

It does seem likely that if Williams doesn't want to score Episode 8 and Episode 9, than Giacchino would score Episode 9 for Trevorrow.

But who would score Episode 8 for Rian Johnson?

Would Kathleen Kennedy let Nathan Johnson score it?

I imagine they'd hire someone like Gia and get him to commit to multiple films. They know how important the music is to Star Wars.

I expect JW to do the trilogy anyway.

It likely depends on his health an interest in the next movie. It he hates the first cut, I doubt he'd want to score it.

Two years ago, Kennedy said Williams was "committed" to doing the entire trilogy.

3:12

Hopefully his interest hasn't changed, even though the official press release only mentioned Williams working on TFA. But, they are probably holding back on news for the following films after TFA is released. As far as I know, we only know the directors, release dates and possibly a few cast members who may return.

Well Episode 8 is released in May of 2017, so it will begin filming early next year, at least by the start of the summer at the latest. If Williams is scoring it, he'd likely start soon after he finishes with The BFG (releasing July 2016)

Who knows what his health an interest level in another Star Wars film will be then *shrug*